2012 Forum Anthology Contests

Discussion in 'Writing' started by N. E. White, Apr 26, 2012.

1. J.D. Carelli

J.D. Carelli I write stuff

I would certainly like to see all the themes now, but I assumed you decided to wait so that everyone had the same amount of time to write and submit. Either way, I support your decision.:)

Edit: oops, didn't see the second page to this.

2. N. E. White

N. E. White tmso Staff Member

Thank you for your support, Jason. :)

Yes, that was initially the idea, but there it is. Do what you will with the themes. I hope to see some great stories out of you all since you now have all summer to come up with them.

Good luck to all.

3. CMTheAuthor

CMTheAuthor Life is fantastic, yes?

Oh, I have such a good idea for the Earth theme. I can't wait to get started with it. :cool:

I might also end up helping tmso/N. E. White format this thing for Smashwords, so you can bet I'll be following the efforts of everyone else as well. Good luck to all!

4. Hereford Eye

Hereford Eye Just Another Philistine

5. N. E. White

How, on earth, can you possible write that fast?

It's not a speed contest!!

(sigh)

I would have liked the special effects, if I lived (and if I wasn't one of the 666...hmmmm...)

For everyone else, take your time to think about what you want the reader to feel after they read your piece. Should they feel sad? Happy? Hopeful? Write something that makes us all feel something for the characters.

For HE, I expect a new, earth-shattering story submitted promptly on the 1st of May. ;)

6. norm

norm We parley for nobody

Well, you have to admire the enthusiasm, finishing a story before the contest even starts! That's a new one!

7. N. E. White

An excellent way of describing HE, norm. Enthusiastic. I'll have to remember that one. ;)

By the way, the cover was picked prior to the themes. I suspect we'll keep it, unless it really doesn't represents the contents at all, and I was thinking of having three sections of the book for each theme with their own separate image. We'll see. I'm not sure if I'll have the time to hunt down starving artists to pester them to create something original for us.

And, yes, CM will be helping with the formatting. I have a list of minions already (all of whom will get mentioned (with links) in the anthology introduction). :)

8. DailyRich

DailyRich Damn fool idealist

Oh so very in.

9. CMTheAuthor

CMTheAuthor Life is fantastic, yes?

I will point out that, due to their file size constraints, such images would probably have to be compressed to work with Smashwords. And I'm not sure how well the quality of the image will turn out, depending on the resolution involved. (I never did that sort of thing with my work.)

I'll try to look up some examples of how their compressed images look in the next few weeks. However, I'd be cautious about the idea until we get a better idea of how it would work out.

10. Susan Boulton

Susan Boulton Edited for submission

Unlike us poor souls he no longer works for a living. The lucky so and so is retired. He can play in the sandbox all day if he wants to. (jealous, moi, no... well, a bit :mad::D)

11. Hereford Eye

Harrumph. Have you know it took me all day to complete first draft at 3900 words. What's fast about that?

12. Gkarlives

Gkarlives Mystic and Misfit

Holy cow, old age must be setting in.:D

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  13. Susan Boulton

Susan Boulton Edited for submission

See, he is now bragging! ROFL!

14. Hereford Eye

Bragging? Moi?
    Okay, it's complete at 3874 words, a story bound to drive tmso crazy trying to categorize it as it has a little bit of everything: the blast she requested, earth, wind, fire, apocalypse, and last but not least, a tribute to Maurice and Veridine White's group: Earth, Wind and Fire.

15. Gkarlives

Gkarlives Mystic and Misfit

Now your just thumbing your nose at us.:D

16. Hereford Eye

It can come across that way, but Holbrook is right. She has a bad habit of being so. I have the time and the energy. When the inspiration comes, I yield to it and start writing. I don't plan the piece in detail; I just start.

The first time I looked at the themes tmso posted, I was disappointed because they blew my original idea out of the water. I also thought there was nothing in those themes that interested me so I was going to have to sit this one out. But, then, tmso, wrote she expected an earth-shattering story and I knew immediately I can do that.

Went back to the themes and was struck by the bold print. Memory immediately furnished the band though I had to go research lyrics to prove that they fit. Then, some other quick research and I was ready to write an earth-shattering tale. The scene was set and all I had to do was get to it.

17. AZimmer23

AZimmer23 Things Fall Apart

I'm in. Can't wait.

18. tennesseemcvay

tennesseemcvay Fictional Mountain Man

Thank you this tsmo. Such a great idea. Worried about coming up with end of the world concepts a little. Each new idea that pops into my mind ends up playing out like a Michael Bay film. Also just a thought but as far as getting this anthology out there for all of the winners, maybe release on December 12? Just saying, the end of the world hype is going to be at its highest point since y2k. Either that or it will be hilariously ironic when the world actually ends the same day the anthology is released.

19. Hereford Eye

Congrats to you, AZimmer23. I am not the first entry after all.
    I'm in.

20. AZimmer23

AZimmer23 Things Fall Apart

Actually, the Mayans predicted the 21st/22nd to the best of my knowledge. That gives those who make it in a week to enjoy their moment of glory. ; D!