2012 Upcoming Releases-Fantasy & Horror

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Rob B, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Kazz Wylde

Kazz Wylde Rogue Warrior

I'll have to check those books out, Randy. Have you read Duane Swierczynski's stuff yet?

2. Randy M.

Randy M. Registered User

All but Our Lady of Darkness are short stories.

I've heard about Duane Swierczynski's work -- actually, I've seen mention of it since pronouncing his name presents a hurdle to verbal discussion -- but haven't read anything by him yet. Isn't he more of a mystery/suspense/crime writer? Does his work fall into the noir category? A lot of urban fantasy appears to stem from that.

Randy M.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  3. Kazz Wylde

Kazz Wylde Rogue Warrior

I haven't read Duane's stuff yet either, I think most of his stuff is wild noir, kinda far fetched like a Quentin Tarantino movie I guess.
    Ah, His name is a piece of cake to pronounce huh?
    Not real big on short stories, but might have to check them out, thanks Randy.

4. mjolnir

mjolnir Registered User

With thanks to Mith, who pointed this out in the thread devoted to Kay: I figured that it might be helpful to have this news in here as well [though I guess we've technically been off topic for a while now, as the news coming in has been largely about books for 2013.] Guy Gavriel Kay's next novel, River of Stars, now has a release date in the States, and that date is April 2, according to amazon. Very wonderful.

The updated forthcoming books list on Locus also yields some potentially interesting, if in some cases unlikely, news:

A new book by Caitlin R. Kiernan, entitled Blood Oranges, is listed as coming out in February/March. Given that The Drowning Girl just came out recently, and also given the complexity of Kiernan's novels, this seems optimistic to me, but would be fantastic if true.

Karen Lorde, who wrote Redemption in Indigo, has a novel called The Best of All Possible Worlds apparently coming out from Jo Flecher in March. Investigation seems to show that Del Rey has bought North American rights [as Tor, I think, has for another forthcoming Flecher book, Blood's Pride by Evie Manieri, about which I know nothing, but the quality and experience of the publisher make me inclined to be interested.] Foreign rights sales seem to be popping up regularly for Lorde's book, and Redemption in Indigo was very promising, so this might be a big deal.

If anyone's read Paul McAuley's Quiet War books, one or two places on the web are listing his next novel, Evening's Empires [which is a nice title], as connected to that setting. Can't find absolute confirmation of that, though.

Locus is listing Nalo Hopkinson's Sister Mine for March. Hopkinson's a major sf talent who's started moving fairly strongly into fantasy, it seems, but before her young adult novel this year she hasn't had a book in some time. If true this ... well, might not excite vast numbers of people, but is huge news, as Hopkinson's books are often very very good, like award good.

Locus lists Elizabeth Bear's Shattered Pillars, the sequel to Range of Ghosts, for March, which is good, because I crave it, and if Tor had kept their coils wrapped around it for too long -- as has been their wont occasionally -- I would've been very sad. According to the Locus list Tor's winter season appears to be heavy on new authors again, which is awesome, but does leave one wondering -- again -- about some of the publisher's long-delayed books, which are once again nowhere to be seen. Ah well, I suppose they can't release them if they're not done.

For those who follow Peter V. Brett's Demon Cycle, it's sounding like February 2013 is now pretty definitely the release date for book three, The Daylight War. I'm ... not sure if we were one-hundred percent on that before.

It should be noted that, though Locus is listing the March 2013 date that's been floating around for Scott Lynch's The Bastards and the Knives, Lynch himself has told us [on the Wertzone] that this is not the book's release date, that no such date exists, and that whenever it is it'll be after The Republic of Thieves comes out, whenever that, in turn, ends up being.

5. Randy M.

Randy M. Registered User

Carroll, Jonathan -- The Woman Who Married a Cloud
    Joshi, S. T., ed. -- Black Wings 2
    Guran, Paula, ed. -- The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror: 2012 Edition
    Harrison, M. John -- Empty Space
    Joyce, Graham -- Some Kind of Fairy Tale
    Weller, Sam, & Mort Castle -- Shadow Show: All-New Stories in Celebration of Ray Bradbury
    Ford, Jeffrey -- Crackpot Palace
    Johnson, Kij -- At the Mouth of the River of Bees
    Kiernan, Caitlín R. -- Confessions of a Five-Chambered Heart
    Mamatas, Nick -- Bullettime
    Campbell, Ramsey -- The Kind Folk
    Copper, Basil -- Curse of the Fleers
    Joshi, S. T. -- The History of Supernatural Fiction, Vol. 1
    Lane, Joel -- Where Furnaces Burn
    Phillips, Holly -- At the Edge of Waking
    Sedia, Ekaterina, ed. -- Circus: Fantasy Under the Big Top
    Williams, Conrad -- Open Heart Surgery
    Jones, Stephen, ed. -- The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror 23
    McKillip, Patricia A. -- Wonders of the Invisible World
    Mosley, Walter -- Merge/Disciple
    Wolfe, Gary K., ed. -- American Science Fiction: Volume 1: 1953-1956
    Wolfe, Gary K., ed. -- American Science Fiction: Volume 2: 1956-1958
    Sedia, Ekaterina -- Moscow But Dreaming
    Kiernan, Caitlín R. -- Blood Oranges
    Datlow, Ellen, ed. -- Hauntings

Not really all I'm interested in, but plenty enough to go broke. I'm pleased to see the Library of America picking up on genre fiction. Their collections of Lovecraft, Dick, Hammett, Chandler and compilations of mysteries are heartening.

I notice they don't include Paula Guran's Prime Books anthology, Ghosts: Recent Hauntings coming out in September, but that's certainly another anthology that will compete for my money. (I'm not 100% positive of this, but from what I've heard I have the impression that Guran and Datlow compared notes so their ghost story collections wouldn't overlap, or wouldn't overlap much, anyway.)

Randy M.

6. Mithfânion

Mithfânion Lord of the Wild Hunt

Definitly getting these ones from your list. The Bradbury tribute anthology I had not heard of but that has a strong table of contents. I don't know anything yet about the Campbell book, but it sounds intriguing.

7. Randy M.

Randy M. Registered User

About the Bradbury tribute, I didn't, either, but the idea intrigues me and you're right about the list of contributors: I'm not sure how many anthologies we're likely to see where a work by Audrey Niffenegger is mixed with Ramsey Campbell, or Margaret Atwood with Gary Braunbeck, or David Morrell with Alice Hoffman. Bradbury's influence is so wide and ubiquitous.

As for Campbell, I've only read four of his novels. The one I liked the least I still admired. I've also read and enjoyed probably 15-20 of his short stories, and only disliked one. That's a pretty good track-record for me. (I suspect the one I didn't like was less about the story than about my denseness.)

Randy M.

8. AmethystOrator

AmethystOrator Registered User

It looks like Battle: A Novel of the House War by Michelle West (#5 in the series) may sneak into 2012 with a December 31st release date.

If so, imo that will be an especially impressive accomplishment. This year, the author will have had two BFF installments published (at 656 and 608 pages), one F/UF installment (at 384 pages) and a YA novel (at 256 pages).

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  9. beniowa

beniowa Registered User

Did she actually write them all within the last year or are they just released this year?

And I suppose it's impressive depending on how you felt at how long it took for her finish The Sun Sword.

10. AmethystOrator

She wrote them all within the last year.

It was just over 6 years, from start to finish, for the 6 books. Did people complain about that?

11. beniowa

beniowa Registered User

It may have been just about 7 years overall, but it was 3-4 just for Sun Sword since she hadn't originally planned to write Riven Shield. By then I had moved on and only read the book for completion's sake.

But yes, I suppose four books in one year is impressive.

12. mjolnir

mjolnir Registered User

There is now an excerpt from Jay Kristoff's Stormdancer up on tor.com, for those interested -- this is the shogunate Japan-influenced epic fantasy/steampunk book we were discussing a little while back.

Necessary Evil by Ian Tregillis is now listed on amazon as coming out in April next year. This is just amazon, of course, but it does match up with what we've been told was the plan previously, which given how often the plan has had to change in the case of this series is good news in itself.

13. Kazz Wylde

Kazz Wylde Rogue Warrior

I wonder if Stormdancer will be good, seems kinda YA to me.
    That is good news about the Tregillis book.

14. sullivan_riyria

sullivan_riyria Creator of Worlds

The number (and length) of times that Ian's series had been delayed is very depressing. I'm can't even imagine how frustrating it has been on him, and glad to see things seem to be moving along better now.

15. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

16. mjolnir

mjolnir Registered User

Okay, so for readers of children's fantasy this is huge. Enormous:

There is a new Alan Garner novel. It is the sequel to The Weirdstone of Brisingamen and The Moon of Gomrath. It has been literally decades.

The novel is entitled Boneland, and will be published in late August in the UK. Not sure about a US edition. Garner has, as I understand, moved away from publishing explicitly for children, and it sounds like this book ages the characters at least roughly comparable to the time between novel releases, so this may not be specifically a children's book. Here's a blurb:

A major novel from one of the country’s greatest writers, and the crowning achievement of an astonishing career, BONELAND is also the long-awaited conclusion to the story of Colin and Susan – a story that began over fifty years ago in THE WEIRDSTONE OF BRISINGAMEN…

IF THE SLEEPER WAKES, THE DREAM DIES…

Professor Colin Whisterfield spends his days at Jodrell Bank, using the radio telescope to look for his lost sister in the Pleiades.

At the same time, and in another time, the Watcher cuts the rock and dances, to keep the sky above the earth and the stars flying.

Colin can’t remember; and he remembers too much. Before the age of twelve years and nine months is a blank. After that he recalls everything: where he was, what he was doing, in every minute of every hour of every day.

But Colin will have to remember what happened when he was twelve, if he wants to find his sister. And the Watcher will have to find the Woman. Otherwise the skies will fall, and there will be only winter, wanderers and moon

17. AmethystOrator

JIm Butcher has completed writing Cold Days and his publisher is trying to have it out this year.

September 4th sees the publication of An Apple for the Creature featuring new stories by Charlaine Harris, Marjorie Liu, Thomas Sniegoski, Mike Carey, Ilona Andrews, Jonathan Maberry, Donald Harstad, Rhys Bowen, Nancy Holder, ,Faith Hunter, Amber Benson, Steve Hockensmith. Charlaine Harris and Toni L.P. Kelner. I don't know much about the short stories, but the Ilona Andrews one will be in the Kate Daniels world, centered on the character of Julie.

18. Hyperstorm

Hyperstorm resident of Hyperborea

The short story is called "Magic Tests" and features Julie as the narrator and is set after the fifth book "Magic Slays". I found it to be highly entertaining and plus Julie as a narrator is a winning prospect. More info and my thoughts about it over here.

Mihir

19. Tim Marquitz

Tim Marquitz Registered User

I'm excited for this one. I think Jim took a vacation on the last book writing-wise (not story) because of the rush to get it out, so I'd like to see how this one turns out.

20. mjolnir

mjolnir Registered User

And behold, Jim Butcher's Cold Days has a release date! [LaserWraith's already got this well-posted in the Butcher threads, I see, but for the record, since we're talking about it in here]: The novel will be released on Nov. 27, 2012. There's a blurb attached to the announcement on Butcher's site, which of course contains quite large spoilers for both Changes and Ghost Story.

I've only read Ghost Story the once, but based solely on my memory of that single experience I agree that some sections, prose-wise, felt a little "let's-all-just-get-through-this,-okay?". So I, too, am very interested to see how this one turns out. And, from a fannish perspective, ... more Dresden! Yay!