2012 Upcoming Releases-Fantasy & Horror

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Rob B, Sep 2, 2011.

1. JustaStaffer

JustaStaffer Registered User

I would agree. And Pyr and Angry Robot are both aided by being associated with the non-fiction publishers behind them (Prometheus and Osprey). Not exactly a bunch of low hanging fruit out there to plunk if you're Harper.

2. PeterWilliam

PeterWilliam Omnibus Prime

3. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Gollancz (UK-only?) catalogue here from Orion, looking towards ~Dec '11 thru July '12.

Seems a tiny bit stronger than the other showings so far. Our own Jon Sprunk's mentioned, as are some of the upcoming SF Masterworks books, although I have to be honest and ask whether we truly need yet another bleeding reissue of H2G2.

Edit: Chris Wooding's YA-marketed reprints are in the YA section that's straight after the Gollancz one, by the way.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  4. sullivan_riyria

sullivan_riyria Creator of Worlds

Another good place to find upcomming releases is Amazon's "Coming Soon" feature. I'll update this from time to time but here are the Top 25 for Epic Fantasy for Kindles and Books. They are sorted by Popularity but you can also sort on price or publication dates if you desire.

Kindle Epic Fantasy Coming Soon based on Popularity# 1 Theft of Swords by Michael J. Sullivan
    # 2 Percepliquis by Michael J. Sullivan
    # 3 Rise of Empire by Michael J. Sullivan
    # 4 Heir of Novron by Michael J. SUllivan
    # 5 The Hedgewitch Queen by Lilith Saintcrow
    # 6 Dragon Age: Asunder by David Gaider
    # 7 The Dread (The Fallen Kings Cycle) by Galiz Z. Martin
    # 8 The Masked Witches: Brotherhood of the Griffon, Book IV by Richard Lee Byers
    # 9 City of Light and Shadow: City of a Hundred Rows, Book 3 by Ian Whates
    #10 Legends of the Dragonrealm, Vol. III: 3 by Richard A. Knaak
    #11 The Innocent Mage by Karen Miller
    #12 Empire of Blood: The Minotaur Wars, Book 3 by Richard A. Knaak
    #13 Night of Blood: The Minotaur Wars, Book 1: Vol 1 by Richard A. Knaak
    #14 Hedgewitch #2 by Lilith Saintcrow
    #15 Tides of Blood: The Minotaur Wars, Book 2 by Richard A. Knaak
    #16 Vampire of the Mists (The Ravenloft Covenant) by Christie Golden
    #17 Plague of Spells: Abolethic Sovereignty, Book I by Bruce R. Cordell
    #18 The Awakened Mage (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker) by Karen Miller
    #19 Swords of Dragonfire: The Knights of Myth Drannor, Book II by Ed Greenwood
    #20 Swords of Eveningstar: The Knights of Myth Drannor, Book I (Forgotten Realms: The Knights of Myth Drannor, Book 1) by Ed Greenwood
    #21 The Sword Never Sleeps: The Knights of Myth Drannor, Book III by Ed Greenwood
    #22 Giant Thief by David Tallerman
    #23 Seven Princes (Books of the Shaper) by John R. Fultz
    #24 The Hobbit (Enhanced Edition) by J.R.R. Tolkien
    #25 Orbit Sampler 6: Jan. - March 2012 by Orbit Various Authors

Book Epic Fantasy Coming Soon based on Popularity# 1 Theft of Swords by Michael J. Sullivan
    # 2 The Sacred Band: The Acacia Trilogy, Book Three by David Anthony Durham
    # 3 Night Watch (Discworld Novel) by Terry Pratchett
    # 4 Percepliquis by Michael J. Sullivan
    # 5 Kings of the North: Paladin's Legacy by Elizabeth Moon
    # 6 Dragon Age: Asunder by David Gaider
    # 7 Rise of Empire by Michael J. Sullivan
    # 8 Heir of Novron by Michael J. SUllivan
    # 9 Initiate's Trial: First Book of the Sword of the Canon (The Wars of Light and Shadow series) by Janny Wurts
    #10 Honor Among Thieves: Book Three of the Ancient Blades Trilogy by David Chandler
    #11 Honor's Paradox (Godstalker Chronicles) by P. C. Hodgell
    #12 The Innocent Mage by Karen Miller
    #13 The Dread (The Fallen Kings Cycle) by Galiz Z. Martin
    #14 The Awakened Mage (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker) by Karen Miller
    #15 The Masked Witches: Brotherhood of the Griffon, Book IV by Richard Lee Byers
    #16 The Hedgewitch Queen by Lilith Saintcrow
    #17 Legends of the Dragonrealm, Vol. III: 3 by Richard A. Knaak
    #18 After the Golden Age by Carrie Vaughn
    #19 Blood of Aenarion by William King
    #20 The Serpent Sea by Martha Wells
    #21 Orbit Sampler 6: Jan. - March 2012 by Orbit Various Authors
    #22 The Book of Joby by Mark J. Ferrari
    #23 Myth-Fortunes by Robert Asprin and Jody Lynn Nye
    #24 Pathfinder Tales: Death's Heretic by James L. Sutter
    #25 Of Limited Loyalty: The Second Book of the Crown Colonies by Michael A. Stackpole

5. sullivan_riyria

No offense taken. I personally like the continuity in Carriger's covers and as I have some experience in art I know how much work goes into them...That being said I really think the covers for Kristin Painter's Series is outstanding.

I actually had several publisher's interested in my series and Orbit was my first choice for a number of reasons. They seem to be interested in growing the careers of their authors (For instance multiple series by the same people) and as for series...well I'm a series writer so yeah I like having a series rather than a one off. Still for those people who like standalones my next fantasy is a single book. We'll see whether Orbit is interested in putting it out once I get it done and show it to them.

6. sullivan_riyria

Great resource Rob - I didn't even know that page at Orbit existed - Got it bookmarked now ;-). Coming from the indie published world a lot of authors don't understand why it takes so long for books to come out. As evidenced by the fact that we are seeing Spring/Summer Catelogs and it is only November should make it somewhat more clear. There are only certain release windows and depending on how much developmental editing may be required they can't determine which "slot" to put you in. I was fortunate enough to get fast tracked to the Fall/Winter 2010/2011 batch and am really glad that I didn't have as long of a wait as most.

7. sullivan_riyria

Are they? I'm not sure on current status but I know the SWFA had put Night Shade on probation because they hadn't been paying author royalties. Putting out books is certainly a primary responsibility for the publisher - but we authors would like to get our cut as well. ;)

8. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Oh, I understand a lot of work goes into covers but the first three had really nice, understated - albeit completely ballsed up - covers, but the last two or three have been utterly vile.

I've never been to London, and I could tell the background photographs for the first three were definitely modern London, not the Victorian-era London Carriger writes in. Oops.

9. Mithfânion

Mithfânion Lord of the Wild Hunt

The most recent thing I saw about that was Night Shade saying that had been mended in 2011, and they expected to be off that probation list very soon. There also don't seem to have been further complaints from authors.

I've also noticed that Night Shade put out a tremendous amount of titles last year. There was a period two years ago when they didn't published for more than 8 months.

10. sullivan_riyria

Well that is good to hear. I never like hearing about authors not getting paid for their work.

11. AmethystOrator

AmethystOrator Registered User

Not technically new or a novel, but DC/Vertigo Comics is bringing one of Neil Gaiman's early works, Black Orchid originally published in 1988 with illustrations by Dave McKean, back into print for the first time in what I believe is 20 years.

http://www.dccomics.com/vertigo/graphic_novels/?gn=21149

12. mjolnir

mjolnir Registered User

Hellions, you are of course right about Harper Voyager's lineup. I completely spaced on Kim Harrison, who outsells both Hobb and Feist by orders of magnitude, I believe. Also, I'd entirely forgotten they were now Harper Voyager rather than Eos. Which definitely says something about my memory, but, given the conversation y'all were having on this point, perhaps also something about them. For myself, don't think I've read anything they published in quite some time. [As pointed out their UK manifestation is of course different.]

That Marmell novel is actually not the first of Pyr's ya offerings, I don't think. There was an urban fantasy called Lightbringer out recently, and the wise and majestic Ian McDonald's first young adult novel, Planesrunner, comes out through the imprint imminently if it is not out already. Quite surprised not to have seen more noise about this new Pyr venture, particularly the McDonald [which is reportedly, as the young people say on the street, the bees knees, based on what little I've heard.]

Re Orbit's sequel-heavy list: It is series-heavy, yeah. But, you know, not more than at any other time, it doesn't seem to me. There's John Fulz's Seven Princes, which is a debut and a series starter. Sounds potentially intriguing; looking forward to that review. And Kim Stanley Robinson's 2312 in May; that's either a book 1 or a stand-alone as well. And Robert Jackson Bennett, whose The Company Man I recommend to your attention [I was less crazy about Mr. Shivers], has The Troupe out on that list, and that's standalone for sure.

Through tireless internet obsessing, I have divined that Lauren Beukes is contracted for a new [apparently] standalone novel. The Shining Girls. Time-travelling serial-killer [um, I think.] 2013. So do not hold breath. But wonderful news.

Waste of pixels, but for my own summing-up, below the list of stuff I'm looking forward to. I've left off books that look interesting in cases where they're part of a series I'm not caught up on in most cases. There is not a single Pyr novel on this list. Times have changed. Orbit books outnumber Tor [though just, and I've probably forgotten about something or other].

Books I must read:
    -- Margo Lanagan, The Brides of Rollrock Island
    -- N. K. Jemisin, The Killing Moon [with sequel if I like, probably will]
    -- Robert Jackson Bennett, The Troupe
    -- Saladin Ahmed, Throne of the Crescent Moon
    -- Elizabeth Bear, Range of Ghosts
    -- Daniel Abraham, The King's Blood
    -- Caitlin R. Kiernan, The Drowning Girl
    -- James S. A. Corey, Leviathan Wakes
    -- Ian Tregillis, The Coldest War
    -- Alastair Reynolds, Blue Remembered Earth
    -- Naomi Novik, Crucible of Gold
    -- John Scalzi, Redshirts
    -- Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson, A Memory of Light
    -- Hannu Rajaniemi, The Fractal Prince
    -- Mira Grant, Blackout
    -- Cassandra Clare, City of Lost Souls
    -- Lois McMaster Bujold, Captain Vorpatril's Alliance

Novels I might try [am open and would like to, but depends]:
    -- Eowyn Ivy, The Snow Child
    -- Melanie Rawn, Touchstone
    -- Yves Meynard, Chrysanthe
    -- John Fulz, Seven Princes
    -- Kim Stanley Robinson, 2312
    -- Tobias S. Buckell, Arctic Rising
    -- David Bryn, Existence
    -- Madeline Ashby, VN
    Chuck Wendig, Blackbirds
    -- Adam Christopher, Empire State
    -- Mathew Stover, Caine's Law [oh for that discarded title; blurb abominable]
    -- China Mieville, Railsea [time was this would've been a no-brainer]
    -- Jay Lake, Calimpura [depending on how I like Endurance]

Novels not yet confirmed:
    -- Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Prisoner of Heaven
    -- Kate Elliott, Cold Steel
    -- George R. R. Martin [ed], Wild Cards: Lowball
    -- Marie Brennan, A Natural History of Dragons
    -- Scott Lynch, The Republic of Thieves
    -- Joe Abercrombie, A Red Country
    -- Catherynne M. Valente, The Spindle of Necessity
    -- Catherynne M. Valente, The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There
    -- Sarah Monette, The Goblin Emperor [unlikely]
    -- R. Scott Bakker, The Unholy Consult [unlikely]

13. Larry

Larry Vaguely Borgesian

Zafón is confirmed for June 2012 in the UK and presumably around the same time for the US. For what it's worth, I just finished reading the third volume several hours ago and I found it to be my favorite of the three volumes to date.

Oh, and I forgot to add that two reprint anthologies will be available in the US in print form in Spring 2012, both edited by Ann and Jeff VanderMeer: Weird (Tor) and ODD? (Cheeky Frawg; currently available as an e-book). I have a bit of interest in these, of course, but since I don't recall seeing those mentioned when I scanned this thread, thought it wouldn't do any harm to mention it here in a hopefully proper place.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  14. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Yes, you're entirely correct. I must have gotten my facts confused, as it's Marmell's first YA novel.

15. Mithfânion

Mithfânion Lord of the Wild Hunt

An interesting novel I just bumped into, from Chris Beckett, who we know from The Holy Machine and some other books. It is called Dark Eden and is actually out next month already. Sounds pretty cool to me.

Nice cover as well. This is from Corvus.

16. mjolnir

mjolnir Registered User

It appears there's a new Paolo Bacigalupi novel coming in May. I had absolutely no idea; perhaps I'm just out of touch? The Drowned Cities. His second young adult book. Companion piece -- not sequel, though based on the blurb a major character overlaps -- to Ship Breaker. It's wonderful to see Bacigalupi doing more ya; Ship Breaker's the best, most engaging thing I've read by him, easily, and it is awesome.

17. suciul

suciul Read interesting books

Locus came out with their list and some dates I was not sure of so far; still did not see Mark Newton's Red Sun ending though:

Felix Gilman's Rise of Ransom City is in August (Tor)
    Adrian Tchaikovsky's The Air War is also in August (Macmillan)
    PF Hamilton's Great North Road is in September (Macmillan)
    Liz Williams Weapon of Flowers is in June (Prime)

18. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

As far as I know, suciul, the last book is still on track for next year - probably around the same time as the previous ones, so June/July.

19. suciul

suciul Read interesting books

Hope so, (referring to Mark Newton I guess) but I am a bit surprised Macmillan has not announced it - it's true that I've seen only the Locus online list so far, not their full list, but Mark's series is covered by Locus so i doubt they would have skipped it.

Also no title yet as far as I know and it is getting late in the process as the printing and all take few months at the least (unless you are GRMM etc)

20. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

As far as I'm aware, it's in those last few stages. Mark's getting ready for his next series (which I think debuts in 2013), and it was announced within the past few weeks. I'm not sure what's going on with #4, but I can't not see it coming out next summer.