2012 Upcoming Releases-Fantasy & Horror

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Rob B, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Haliax

Haliax Registered User

Sharps is the newest from K.J. Parker, being released in July.

2. Kazz Wylde

Kazz Wylde Rogue Warrior

Ok thanks, I knew I'd heard that somewhere.

3. Kazz Wylde

Kazz Wylde Rogue Warrior

Hey Mith, What do you know about So Deep a Malice?

4. Kazz Wylde

Kazz Wylde Rogue Warrior

I found a little bit on So Deep a Malice, it sounds like one I'd read.

5. Mithfânion

Mithfânion Lord of the Wild Hunt

Hej Mjolnir,

The 3rd book is getting a lot of flack from fans about being split in two once again. Apart from the size it's also that people just weren't expecting it. After the first book was split, they thought this third and final book would complete a trilogy. Now they get another slim offering, which really cuts off quite abrubtly as well, and now have to wait for book 4.

It's interesting btw that that 4th book, Blood of Dragons, is *still* listed on Amazon as coming out in July, when Hobb has said that that is for 2013.

But, I already have book 4 since it's already been published in Dutch, and I can tell you that the 4th book is longer than book 3, by some 100 pages ( 380 vs 490 in the Dutch editions, which are then more spaced out than the English edition). So if the book has been published as one in North America, it would have been roughly 800 pages.

Re; Tor

I am also very curious about some of those titles. The next Ken Scholes could be in there, Jones, Erikson and a few surprised as well.

6. ImpKnight

ImpKnight Registered User

So Amazon says Caine's Law is due April 3. Has anyone seen any news/ updates talking about the release?

7. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

You could share what you found out about here in the thread, you know. ;)

8. Kazz Wylde

Kazz Wylde Rogue Warrior

My bad, here's what I found.

Julie Crisp said of the acquisition, ‘This is an incredibly exciting book. It gave me the same feeling when reading it that I had when I first read George R R Martin, Robert Jordan and Patrick Rothfuss. I fell in love with the characters, the world building and the detailed imagining. The beginning of a brand new series, this is a contemporary epic fantasy that I’m sure will gather an enthusiastic and loyal readership and we’re thrilled to be publishing John at Tor UK.’

John Jarrold said: ‘I’m not sure I’ve seen a major fantasy novel that I would recommend more strongly to readers of George R R Martin in the last ten years. I’ve now read it three times and I am still emotionally involved with the characters and storylines throughout, which is a wonderful achievement for a new writer. Julie’s enthusiasm was immediate when it was submitted to major publishers on both sides of the Atlantic, and she was able to bring her senior colleagues on board with a very strong pre-emptive offer within days.’

Julie Crisp, Editorial Director of Pan Macmillan in London, has concluded a pre-emptive World Rights deal for two epic fantasy novels in a series called THE FAITHFUL AND THE FALLEN by new British author John Gwynne with agent John Jarrold, for a very good five-figure sum.

SO DEEP A MALICE, the first volume in the series, will be published by Tor UK in 2012, followed by its sequel TERROR OF HEAVEN in 2013.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  9. Kazz Wylde

Kazz Wylde Rogue Warrior

Has anyone read Seven Princes yet?

10. Hobbit

Hobbit Now.. A Seriously Likeable Administrator Staff Member

11. Kazz Wylde

Kazz Wylde Rogue Warrior

Oh man. lol I read a little of the beginning up at B&N a few weeks ago, it seems cool at first. I still might give it a try someday, I might not be quite as jaded with the tired old tropes bit.

12. Hobbit

Hobbit Now.. A Seriously Likeable Administrator Staff Member

Oh, absolutely.

It may be that I've read just too much that is similar, Kazz! The thing is, I do like books sometimes that you know pretty much where you're going: I realise that books are often there for different purposes, to entertain as well as engage the imagination. If it's written well enough, I can get it.

This one, though, I struggled with. And I did want to like it.

Mark

13. Kazz Wylde

Kazz Wylde Rogue Warrior

I understand, Mark.
    I gotta admit I'm a little woundup now about So Deep a Malice, sounds kind of like what I'd like to read/write.

14. Rob B

Unfortunately, I didn't make it past the first hundred pages or so of Seven Princes. It seems a very divisive book, those that like it, seem to like it A LOT. Then there's Mark, JustaStaffer, and myself.

15. Kazz Wylde

Kazz Wylde Rogue Warrior

Didnt even make it thru it huh? Its a hit or miss I guess then. :cool: Staffer has a pretty cool blog there.

16. JustaStaffer

JustaStaffer Registered User

Thanks. :)

And for the link, Rob. Giving another 2012 release the same review treatment tomorrow, unfortunately.

17. Kazz Wylde

Kazz Wylde Rogue Warrior

Oh man, Say it isnt so. :eek:

18. Rob B

NP, I guess the pillars of the novel weren't strong enough to retain your otherwise herculean reading tastes?

As for 2012 releases, the omnibus The Legend of Eli Monpress just arrived, at over 1000+ pages it is HUGE. Looking forward to jumping in after a dive into some SF.

19. JustaStaffer

JustaStaffer Registered User

I read the first book in the omnibus. Fun, quick. I've heard they get deeper, but been too distracted to pick up book 2.

20. Mithfânion

Mithfânion Lord of the Wild Hunt

Forge of Darkness has a US release date now as well, September 18th.

Jesse Bullington's third book comes out in October, called Folly of the World.

The new Iain M. Banks novel is called The Hydrogen Sonata. This is probably a new Culture novel, due on October 9th.

And also pretty cool, there is a new Brom novel coming out, a few years after his quite successful "The Child Thief". It is called Krampus: The Yule Lord and from the 500 page count listing it seems to be another large novel for adults. Interesting. This is due October 30th.