2012 Upcoming Releases-Science Fiction

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Rob B, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

Russell was doing some interesting things in the genre.

I'll be getting the new TD book. What I could see Baen doing is maybe reissuing the first two books in omnibus (or electronically) and publishing the third.

2. Erfael

Erfael Lemurs!!! Staff Member

Plus, plus on this. I loved his work in his first three duologies, but found books 2 and 3 of The Swans War to be pretty bland. I also hope he returns to (the style of) his earlier works (though I can see how they wouldn't be things that would sell as well, conceptually, as his last trilogy).

3. Rob B

Completely stolen from a post made by Werthead...

Tor's Spring/Summer 2012 Catalogue

Of interest:

John Scalzi's Redshirts, the cover of which doubles as the cover of the catalogue

The Coldest War by Ian Tregillis (Milkweed #2, finally!!)

4. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

According to David Weber, the second Stephanie Harrington book should be out next year, this time co-authored with Jane Lindskold. With Weber busy with the movie, Honorverse, Safehold and likely other things, I'm not too surprised by that. Hopefully it'll help even out what could have been a very unbalanced series.

5. Pvt

Pvt Registered User

I've heard of the book and it's a good thing I never bothered to read it if there isn't even going to be a conclusion.

6. suciul

suciul Read interesting books

I think that was the plan from the get go for the YA series, to be written by Jane Lindskold on the DW outline and editing; personally I think the series will not survive too much unless it is a mega bestseller as DW is way too busy with HH and Safehold, not to speak that he is trying to revive the Bazhell series (War Maid's Choice is tbp July 2012) which is a personal favorite of his but did not sell that well so he put it aside for a long time...

7. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

I don't think it has to survive long. I think four books would be long enough. I mean Steph was, what, fourteen at the end? Sixteen? I forget. I can see her becoming a young adult and then what after that? Job interviews with a treecat on her shoulder? :p

8. suciul

Speaking of Stephanie, there is a very nice reference (which may get expanded in future volumes) to her in A Rising Thunder as the treecats have Memory Singers which literally remember in images and Honor was a little wistful about the eventual possibility to experience first hand scenes from her ancestress' life :)

9. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Oh, cool :)

To be honest - and apologies for the sidetrack - but I don't think I'll get much further in Honorverse. I peeked ahead at some things, and I think my expression was "what... the...", so I doubt I'll continue too much as it seemed a bit daft.

10. suciul

Fair enough though i think it all depends on what you look for; personally I tend to leave series that focus on a character for too long (which for example are common in UF and Mystery) and the decision of DW to transform the Honorverse from essentially "a one woman and sidekicks", to a fully fledged space opera with tons of important characters, lots of theaters of action and a great three levels (so far though i expect that is all) storyline culminating in the
    ultimate fight for the fate of the Galaxy and life as we know it against the EGO-to-be (evil galactic overlord) and his supermen and superwomen bent on transforming humanity in super-humanity whatever the lesser normals want and of course "discarding" the billions or possible trillions unfit in the process - here it is just an unbelievable scene when one of the EGO's main operatives has just literally pushed the trigger on the spark that will start the process and she offers us her musings about what she just did as she finally found out herself recently, and ironically as she herself notes, listening to a Manticoran composer
    made it just the best sf around there is...

Yes there is some clunky writing, too many info dumps and a (thankfully played down as time goes by and the logical stuff - Grayson and their peculiar mores saving the day - anyone could see for a mile happens) silly romance, but the detail, the hundreds of characters and their fate on the huge canvas that DW gets to use is just awesome...

And as A Rising Thunder was the first fully "into the unknown" (for longtime fans i mean) book, I will find it hard to have a sf to top it in 2012...

11. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

It was the romance bit I saw and balked at, I don't think I need to really say more than that.

12. Colonel Worf

Colonel Worf Registered User

Railsea by China Mieville looks really bizarre and interesting.
    Redshirts is something I just found out about and am really looking forward to.

13. Rob B

Ever since I read Mark's review of Michael Cobley's Seeds of the Earth almost two years ago, I was hoping Orbit would release it in the US

Well, Orbit just announced they are doing just that, releasing the three novels in the Humanity’s Fire trilogy in that now-common and proven successful publishing strategy for trilogies - a book a month over three months:
    SEEDS OF EARTH in October,
    ORPHANED WORLDS in November
    THE ASCENDANT STARS in December

[​IMG]

14. Whitleyrr

Whitleyrr Named Man

Does anyone know when an ebook version of Reynolds' Blue Remembered Earth will be available in the US?

15. odo

odo Registered User

Good question. It is for available for pre-order on iBooks (I live in Spain, so ymmv) but not on Amazon (as far as I know).

16. suciul

as the book is published in the US in the summer, I would guess then

17. Luke_B

Luke_B Diamond Dog Staff Member

Pure by Julianna Baggot is being published by Headline on 2 February and it looks interesting. It's yet another dystopian YA, but it sounds very grim (the protagonist has a doll-head fused to her in place of a hand), and it has been getting some rave reviews (starred PW) and blurbs from Justin Cronin and Jeff Vandermeer.

18. Rob B

No Going Back, the fourth Jon and Lobo novel by Mark L. Van Name will be publishing in May.

(Though I think suciul and I are the only folks here who have read Jon and Lobo, hopefully that will change since these are fun books)

19. suciul

actually it is 5th as Children no More was 4th in 2010; the May release is in doubt though as the novel has been delayed with no clear date yet - this is from the Baen chief Toni W.

20. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Haha, I came across something a little interesting.

Did a search on The Book Depository for David Weber, and I think I've unearthed the second Stephanie Harrington book, Fire Season.

It's projecting an October release date, and as was confirmed in the past, is co-authored with Jane Lindskold. However, the bibliographic details do seem light, so chances are that the majority of the details have not been confirmed - it's showing as "Childrens/Juvenile" unlike A Beautiful Friendship's additional listing as Young Adult.

Edit: Just to point out I've asked David Weber via his Twitter account to verify it, but I'm not expecting a response.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012