2012 Upcoming Releases-Science Fiction

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Rob B, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

Speaking of Weber, rumor has the latest Safehold novel (#6) has a title: Midst Toil and Tribulation set for a September 2012 publication date.

2. suciul

suciul Read interesting books

yep, it has been known for a month or so on the Weber forums (like HFaF and AMF the title is from a psalm as befits both the series subject and Mr. Weber's status in his Church).

I even know a rough outline of developments to be covered, but i expect surprises, possibly major ones; this, Hydrogen sonata, the new Valtat novel and the PFH one are the huge sf releases of the fall for me, all set to be out from mid Sept to early October; not unlike the set of huge January sf releases and those all delivered and more

3. Andols

Andols I like stories

thanks for the heads up fellows. im almost done 6 straight months of fantasy reading, time to get back on my sf grind.

ill have to comb the last few months of 2011 for good releases also.

4. pox

pox Registered User

I got those and couldn't really dent them. I did have some fun reading the exchange of insults between the general public and the author on amazon though. They're not very good. I thought.

5. suciul

Just saw the new Aurorarama tpb in stores and it had an interview with JC Valtat and an excerpt from Luminous Chaos which is set in Paris 1895 suffering a mini-ice age with the heroes of Aurorarama (Brentford, Gabriel, Lilian etc) coming to save the day; seems to have some time travel too from the interview

6. scumby

scumby Registered User

Iron Jackal US release date?

I just noticed Amazon has a new cover and an October release date for Chris Wooding's Iron Jackal. There wasn't anything on the author's site, but since I loved the first two I'm hoping this is real. Does anyone have any other information? It is for the paper back only, but I'm hoping the e-book won't be far behind, as that is what I will buy.

Thanks!

Jeff

7. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

8. scumby

scumby Registered User

Thanks for the reply. Is that a UK only thing? I'm in the US. When I search Amazon here there is no reference to a Kindle version. :(

Jeff

9. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

10. livens

livens Registered User

scumby,

Go to the UK amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk

Search for The Iron Jackal and you will see a kindle edition offered. You should be able to buy it there.

11. Kazz Wylde

Kazz Wylde Rogue Warrior

Pretty cool covers, are these good books? I wonder what Liviu thought of these. Have to check FBC.

12. suciul

first ok with promise but flaws, second, pretty bad, the flaws overwhelming the good, the third, no intention to waste my time on

13. Kazz Wylde

Kazz Wylde Rogue Warrior

Oh wow, what were the flaws, Liviu?
    I think Stealing Light will be my next read, I need a good scifi.

14. ian_sales

ian_sales Registered User

I've read the first two and enjoyed them. Mike Cobley is a friend of mine and has been for a long time, but that doesn't alter my opinion of the books. They're loaded, perhaps even over-loaded, new space opera, with a well-handled diverse cast, a neat conception of the universe, and a plot that doesn't let up from the first chapter. If they have a fault it's that Mike has thrown everything into them, but it's to his credit he manages to keep it under control (Pete Hamilton would probably take about three times as many pages to do the same).

15. suciul

Regarding the Mike Cobley series, the main issue is that if you want to write a PF Hamilton like saga (with lots of pov's and storylines) you need the pages too and Seeds of Earth simply does not have space for its content, so it feels cluttered, crowded...

The lack of balance - there is a quite unnecessary introductory part that takes place on an isolated at the time planet - does not help and the fantasy elements felt a bit canned, but as mentioned there was a lot of promise. However book 2 was even more cluttered instead of getting "cleaner", a lot of it started to feel "plot for plot sake" - eg I remember character A and B needing to meet, and A travels to B, but of course then something happens and B starts towards A so they actually miss each other quite artificially and all of A's travel seems to feel again extraneous to the story, just showcasing the universe - which is fine if you have 800 pages or more to tell the story but not if you have 400....

Ultimately though I think that the structure of the series just does not work at its length - there is a reason any sff series with tons of named characters and plotlines has tons of pages after all

Gary Gibson for example had a little of this cluttered feel in his debut Angel station - but I really like both his prose and characters and that counts for a lot - so in his Shoal series he stayed away from that and did a relatively simple 1-2 pov/storyline (gets to 3 later but not more) per book and the series felt a little like "Hamilton lite" true, but that can work both ways

KJA had the many characters/plotlines at 400 page length in his Seven Suns saga which was excellent for 4 volumes though went too long at 7 for its depth, but KJA writes functional NYT-bestseller list prose and that works in his tons of "little chunks" chapter style as the focus is purely on action

16. ian_sales

OTOH, some would see brevity as a virtue.

17. suciul

That's true but it depends on the kind of book/story you want; I am now reading Empty Space and after starting it a few days ago on publication, I had to reread Light and Nova Swing as I realized I kind of forgot a lot - though I remembered well the general storyline but that is less important imho in this trilogy - and I was even more amazed at how much MJ Harrison packed in those two books, especially in Light.

But he is not a traditional storyteller and does not want to tell a story in the saga kind of way, the storyline and the action are less important so his books work very well at shorter length with a lot packed in. The problem is when you want to tell a traditional story, a saga if you want, then you need the pages.

18. ian_sales

Possibly, but I find Hamilton's books far too bloated to read.

I have Empty Space but I've not read it yet. I only just finished 2312, which is not a short novel. I actually found it a little disappointing.

19. Ropie

Ropie Member of the Month™

Me too, though it was on the good side of 'disappointing'. I don't have the time to be reading huge books, unless the writer is absolutely able to hold my attention in a way that makes me forget about my outside life (eg: Stephen King) ;)

20. ian_sales

It was the ending more than anything else - what was behind the destruction of Terminator. I thought it could have been a lot more creative.