2013 Upcoming Releases-Fantasy & Horror

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by mjolnir, Jun 30, 2012.

1. suciul

suciul Read interesting books

Adjacent by Christopher Priest is slated for August 2013, while Adam Roberts has a new book with a really cool title next July too, Twenty Trillion Leagues Under the Sea (!) in addition to the Adam Robots collection in January.

The ninth Shadows of the Apt book War Master's Gate is also scheduled for August 2013, though Robert Redick's book seems that will still be out in October 2012 in the UK, the 2013 delay is only US so far

Paul McAuley's new book is in January and is titled Evening's Empires

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  2. AmethystOrator

AmethystOrator Registered User

Information for Unfettered (Grim Oak Press) has been updated and it's now supposed to be out "Early 2013". For those who want a print copy, this will be limited to 500 S&N copies and 5,000-10,000 Trade copies, and considering the authors involved, it would probably be best to order early. ebooks will also be available. Here's the lineup:

The Shade of Allanon by Terry Brooks (a Shannara tale)

Imaginary Friends by Terry Brooks (a precursor to the Word/Void trilogy)

How Old Holly Came To Be by Patrick Rothfuss

River of Souls by Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson (a Wheel of Time tale)

The Old Scale Game by Tad Williams

Martyr of the Roses by Jacqueline Carey (a precursor to the Kushiel series)

Dogs by Daniel Abraham

Mudboy by Peter V. Brett (a Demon Cycle tale)

Nocturne by Robert V. S. Redick

The Sound of Broken Absolutes by Peter Orullian (a Vault of Heaven tale)

Untitled by Geno & R.A. Salvatore

Keeper of Memory by Todd Lockwood (a Summer Dragon tale)

Game of Chance by Carrie Vaughn

The Lasting Doubts of Joaquin Lopez by Blake Charlton

The Chapel Perilous by Kevin Hearne (an Iron Druid tale)

Select Mode by Mark Lawrence (a Broken Empire tale)

All the Girls Love Michael Stein by David Anthony Durham

Strange Rain by Jennifer Bosworth (a Struck epilogue tale)

Unbowed by Eldon Thompson (a Legend of Asahiel tale)

Untitled by Naomi Novik (a Temeraire tale)

The Jester by Michael J. Sullivan (a Riyria Chronicles tale)

The Duel by Lev Grossman (a Magicians tale)

The Unfettered Knight by Shawn Speakman (an Annwn Cycle tale)

More info here: http://grimoakpress.com/2012/08/unfettered-edited-by-shawn-speakman/

3. mjolnir

mjolnir Registered User

Thanks for the continued additions, all. Priest's Adjacent will be an event in the field, of course, and one day I will stop talking about reading him and actually do so. Roberts, too. I very much enjoyed most of McAuley's first Quiet War duology, so am interested to see how he carries on. And Unfettered sounds like a wonderful project. Nice table of contents, too.

Another compilation of stuff from about and around:

Neil Gaiman's new novel for adults is entitled The Ocean at the End of the Lane, and will be released in June next year. It sounds like -- with the marked caveat that I forget where I heard this so can't source it; it may very well have been here -- that he'd been planning a run at the American Gods sequel, but found that this novel took over.

Stephen King's Doctor Sleep, a loose sequel to The Shining, will be published in September 2013. interestingly [based on King's forums], King himself called time on the initial plan to publish the novel earlier, as he was dissatisfied with the state of the manuscript and felt it needed to go back in the oven for additional editing.

James S. A. Cory, or Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck, will evidently be writing a Starwars novel. The book will center on Han Solo and will [I think, can't quite remember] take place during the galactic civil war between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back. Apparently it's one of several standalone books coming out focusing on iconic rebel characters during this period in Starwars' [now meticulously explored / exploited] history. Interesting. I wonder, though, whether this will delay their joint / Abraham's other work. I hope Abraham in particular takes himself a break one of these days.

According to amazon, Orbit has bumped US publication of Miles Cameron's The Red Knight from December of this year to January, making it a 2013 release. A good thing for the novel? A sign of faith? [Isn't the conventional wisdom that only established bestsellers can hack it at Christmas?] The UK edition's still coming this month.

4. sullivan_riyria

sullivan_riyria Creator of Worlds

Sorry I. The delay responding...this will be a new series, but will feature old friends. In the Riyria Revelations we see a story arc which shows the end of Riyria (a team of two thieves). The new series, The Riyria Chronicles goes back to show how it all began. The Crown Tower is releasing in Aug 2013 ad The Rose and the Thorn in September.

5. sullivan_riyria

They are #1 and #2 of The Riyria Chronicles.

6. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

Saw this one over on Justin's Blog:

Promise of Blood by Brian McClellan

Field Marshal Tamas has staged a coup against the king of Adro. His powder mages have slaughtered the king’s Privileged cabal of sorcerers and the nobility has been rounded up to face the guillotine with their king. Tamas has brought revolution to his country in one bloody night to save his people and right the wrongs caused by the old regime. Yet his actions have far-reaching consequences of which no reasonable man could have conceived, and the king will prove the easiest obstacle to overcome in his quest to free Adro.

Captain Taniel Two-shot is a powder mage of considerable skill. Gunpowder makes him stronger and faster than other men. He can manipulate its properties to shoot out a man’s eye at twice the length of a battlefield. It makes him perfect for killing the old Privileged sorcerers with their destructive magic. One of those Privileged has escaped Tamas’ cull. The problem is, she’s stronger than any sorcerer Taniel has ever seen, and the mercenaries sent to help him track her are of dubious reliability.

When Adamat is summoned to the palace in the middle of the night, the last thing the veteran investigator expects is to arrive during a regime change. His new employer is none other than the man responsible for overthrowing the current government and he has some unfinished business with the king’s sorcerers. The dying Privileged cabal has left the Field Marshal with a riddle. It could be nothing, but Tamas does not like loose ends. Adamat knows from long experience that one doesn’t ask questions unless one is willing to learn–and believe–the answers. To add to his problems, the Field Marshal isn’t the only one interested in the answer to the dying sorcerers’ riddle. As enemies emerge from the shadows and the investigation takes a disturbing turn, Adamat must decide where his loyalties lie.

“Promise of Blood is a hugely promising debut. Guns, swords, and magic together? What more could you want? How about tense action, memorable characters, rising stakes, and cool, cool magic? Not only the finest flintlock fantasy I’ve read, but also the most fun. Brian McClellan is the real thing.”

–Brent Weeks, author of the Night Angel Trilog

7. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

8. suciul

very interesting - happy to finally see Cold steel there as i really missed that one in 2012; Promise of Blood sounds interesting but we'll see as Orbit's last (epic fantasy) debut, Seven princes was dull and so un-involving that i have dropped fast out of it; now of course the other sort of hyped series debut Red Knight will come sometime before from them - either late December or January and that is a huge one for me as i give it a shot at being #1 for 2012 (considering that the Gollancz comes out in 10 days and I hope to get a copy even faster)

9. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

They did one for the UK too, and I think it's a stronger line up. Tregellis' Coldest War & Necessary Evil, a new Brooks & Moon, final WoT book and Abaddon's Gate seem to be the big ones there. Strangely, Abraham's next Dagger & Coin isn't on there so I assume it'll be July or August?

The Sapkowski book, if it's the same as the Gollancz edition and the same translator, will likely be a bit of a poor read. Sadly.

10. Mark Lawrence

Mark Lawrence The New ... MARK LAWRENCE

11. sullivan_riyria

Glad to see others found the Orbit Spring/Summer 2013 Post. I thought I would Augment it with some dates.

April 2013
    • Promise of Blood by Brian McClellan
    • Hot Blooded by Amanda Carlson
    • The Exiled Blade by Jon Courtenay Grimwood

May 2013
    • Tempest Reborn by Nicole Peeler
    • The Red Plague Affair by Lilith Saintcrow
    • The Tyrant's Law by Daniel Abraham

June 2013
    • Love Minus Eighty by Will McIntosh
    • Cold Steel by Kate Elliott
    • Abaddon's Gate by James S.A. Corey

July 2013
    • Last Blood by Kristen Painter
    • Helen & Troy's Epic Road Quest by A. Lee Martinez
    • The Glass God by Kate Griffin
    • The Time of Contempt by Andrzej Sapkowski

August 2013
    • The Crown Tower by Michael J. Sullivan

September 2013
    • The Rose and the Thorn by Michael J. Sullivan

Paperback versions of previous hardcovers:
    • June: 2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson
    • July: The Traitor Queen by Trudi Canavan
    • August: The Blinding Knife by Brent Weeks

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  12. Mithfânion

Mithfânion Lord of the Wild Hunt

"Pretty much nothing in that list that I want", he said gloomily. Not that I need more books really. Lord knows that I really, really don't.

I guess for the next few months, the main books I am interested in are Red Country, Red Knight, Malice, The Twelve, Krampus Yule Lord, Rise of Ransom City, The Daylight War, Blood of Dragons and River of Stars.

13. Kazz Wylde

Kazz Wylde Rogue Warrior

Oh ok, sounds cool, Mr Sullivan. I've only read your first book so far.

Is Blood Song available in the US yet, like at B&N?

14. sullivan_riyria

As far as I know it's always been available on B&N. That is the "self-published" version of course. I've not seen any release dates for the ACE version.

15. JohnH

JohnH Abstainer from Foolosophy

Mith,
    Have you seen the upcoming The Legend of Broken by Caleb Carr? I hate to recommend anything to you...but I think you might actually like this. It comes out in the US the end of November.

As for 2013 I can't remember how much a purist you are in what is fantasy and what is not. Rita Monaldi and Francesco Sorti have their third book coming out in English next April. It is much more historical fiction but there is an undertone that they allow for a magic realism or supernatural tone to some plot elements.

Also not sure if Jean-Marie Blas de Robles' Where the Tigers are at Home made much of a stir in The Netherlands, but it is getting an English publication in March of next year. I think the compares to David Mitchell and Haruki Murakami are apt enough to interest any of their fans.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  16. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

I'm not sure when it'll be out - early-mid Summer I think - but Harper are publishing a new Tolkien book similar to The Legend of Sigurd & Gudrun, and this time it's King Arthur. I believe. Will try and dig up some details in the morning.

17. Kazz Wylde

Kazz Wylde Rogue Warrior

Oh ok, Thanks for that, Michael. I haven't been in B&N in awhile.

18. suciul

Interesting book this one - has been out in the Uk for a while now, the US edition is 2013; got a copy myself and will try it as i like the writing and the premise

19. Mithfânion

Mithfânion Lord of the Wild Hunt

Hey John,

Nice to see you're still popping in as well, let that be said first and foremost.

Of your tentative recommendations, The Legend of Broken by Caleb Carr does indeed seem quite tantalizing. Sadly there 's about zero advance reviews available sofar. But, based on the synopsis it's at least a potential (big) read. Any chance at all that I might extract some information about the book from you? It seems like a pseudo-medieval type of Fantasy, then again maybe it is not a Fantasy but actually straight up historical fiction? What made it worthwhile?

20. mjolnir

mjolnir Registered User

According to some trawling through amazon US -- so, you know, hmm --, Stella Gemmell's The City has been picked up for release in North America by Ace. They will release their edition in June, it seems, so around two months after Transworld publishes in the UK. [This trip into amazon's dark belly also had me running across an August 6th listing for Mark Lawrence's Emperor of Thorns, which I think we pretty much new but is still nice to see.]

Thanks for the listing of Orbit's spring / summer material, Mr. Sullivan. It seems -- based on the art director's preface to the original Orbit post with all the covers in, and also on the author's own posting of the cover since -- that the cover for Daniel Abraham's The Tyrant's Law just wasn't quite finished at the time; the book is still supposedly coming out in May, or at least that is still the target.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012