A Storm of Swords [SPOILERS!!!!!]

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Stor-All, May 1, 2011.

1. Stor-All

Stor-All Registered User

Spoiler free post, but all I can say is oh my god, I did NOT see that coming. :eek: Just needed to get that out in the open.

2. sdelu

sdelu Registered User

That was a good one for sure. It's yet another reason really, really old people are not to be trusted. They just don't give two hoots.

However, while it was the most shocking in the book, I can think of a particular scene later in the book that IMO was not only better in every way (drama, suspense, excitement, et cetera), but had one of my favorite lines in the series, spoken by a certain mountainous figure.

I'm interested to see which scene you "enjoy" more.

3. Evil Agent

Evil Agent Saturn Comes Back Around

This is a terrible thread. The very title is a massive spoiler.

It drives me crazy how many people don't understand what a spoiler is. You say "spoiler free post", but it's not.

The title of your thread implies that there is a crazy wedding scene.
    How can you not realize that that is a spoiler? Hints are still spoilers. Could a mod please delete this thread or change the title?

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  4. Hobbit

Hobbit Administrator Staff Member

Done (I think.)

Mark

5. Stor-All

Stor-All Registered User

My apologies if I offended you with this post, but I saw no way to be more vague and still get my point across of
    how awesome this scene was.
    . I still don't see how my post spoiled the scene as I didn't reveal anything about the plot other than the scene is amazing, but this is not the forum to argue that point and the moderators have spoken. In the future though, it's not a great first impression to show up to someones party and tell them how bad it is.

6. Evil Agent

Thanks, Hobbit.

Sorry to sound so grumpy, but I've just been annoyed recently because people are spoiling the books (and the new HBO show) ALL over youtube and facebook. Sometimes blatant spoilers, sometimes smug little hints. And whenever someone asks them not to spoil it for non-readers, they respond with "It's your fault if you haven't read the books by now, stop whining. Go read the books!"

It's as though people still don't understand that the show is going to bring in new fans. Why spoil it for them?

7. Evil Agent

You don't need to reveal the whole scene to spoil it.
    Saying "OMG, the wedding scene!" is already a spoiler in itself.
    That should be pretty easy to understand.

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  8. KatG

KatG Effulgent Staff Member

Okay, EA, you asked for the change and it's been handled. Occasional mess-ups are going to happen. This is a series that's been around for 15 years. We cannot safeguard every aspect. Moving on.

9. Erfael

Erfael Lemurs!!! Staff Member

SPOILERS FOR BOOK 3, obviously.

Actually, I'll point out something about that spoiler and my experience. I just read SoS a few months back. I'd been hearing for years accidental spoilers of the sort like "The Red Wedding was awesome!!!" while trying to police the forum. So I knew it was there. And you know what? It still completely surprised me. See, for a while there it looked like Sansa and Joff were to be married at the end of book 3. And I figured that whatever the Red Wedding was, it had to do with Joff's wedding...nothing to do with what actually happened.

10. Stor-All

Stor-All Registered User

And then the very next chapter!

Lanisters: 4, Starks: 0

11. Roland 85

Roland 85 Registered User

Maybe not the best place for this, but it's dedicated to the third book, so here goes my review from the blog. And yeah, I know it's stupid reviewing older books when everybody cares only for Dance, but I haven't read that, haven't even read Feast, and I barely remembered anything from the first three, so a reread needed to happen. Very happy I did it too.

Anyway:

12. Evil Agent

Interesting. I always thought of A Storm of Swords as BY FAR the best book of the series, probably the only 10/10. I agree that A Game of Thrones was a bit tighter (something happened every chapter)... but A Storm of Swords had the most action and the most climactic events. The next two books are much, much slower and have a lot more of that "filler" you talked about (although it still contributes a lot to the world building, and isn't nearly as boring as what Jordan did in his later books).

13. Roland 85

Roland 85 Registered User

Oh, of course. I already said it can't. But it bothers me. I don't need that kind of worldbuilding, or maybe not in that quantity. And also, I can't read more than two books of the same writer in a row, I get tired and they start dragging. So I'm sure that contributed. But still, I really think it's a bit slower than it could have been