ADWD- October release?

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Mithfânion, Jan 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arstan

Arstan Banned

Oh jesus, this is why i left 4chan

2. Luya Sevrein

Luya Sevrein Humble Grifter

The one word quote, we're in there!

Welcome.

3. Luya Sevrein

I found this community like a diamond in the rough. It's awesome if you haven't ever been on any forum more cultured than 'I'M THE BATMAN.'

We have this - ALIEN - policy though. We tend to read over someone's entire post and then form a considered reply. It's odd.

For someone studying programming (with - the intention to become a hacker? Or not?) you need to lose the introduction. Everyone is anyone they want to be online, so people just assume you're a liar and an annoyance. Also, find someone employed (in whatever 'dark' way you wish) in the buisness to explain to you a better way than 4chan because it might not be for you.

But, as far as the Martin stuff goes I'm with you. Wert has put a lot of effort into this, though, and all he has is manners, so no disrespect to him or anyone else.

The problem is as you described - people are sheep. They will buy this book, even if he's putting it out in 2020 and the world is still going. :)P) He's got people hooked, he can do what he wishes.

Has anyone actually discussed the theories with George himself? Told him some people think he doesn't know how to change the main plot now everyone's guessed it? People who say he's written himself into a corner? Someone should just tell him - it doesn't matter, this is going to be overwritten, just take a chance.

4. 3rdI

3rdI Edema Ruh

Correct.

Why didn't you mention your background in IT before we could have had a multitude of interesting discussions. I assume your uncle is doing consulting work? Network auditing/security penetration?

5. Luya Sevrein

But it's so much more fun when we argue! I mean... 'debate'. :p

I'm only a begginer, myself. I just know the culture and how things work. He was freelancing, mostly bypassing and ethical hacking - that got him a few pretty safe positions - so yeah. He lives in rural Cork, right by the sea, so freelancing is kinda good for him. He's more into programmign then hacking now - He's like some nutty Prof. Frankenstein with his creations.

6. 3rdI

3rdI Edema Ruh

Very cool. Would love to converse more. If you are looking at getting into the industry and run into something your uncle isn't sure about or just want to chat about anything IT shoot me a pm.

My personal interest in hacking is more a requirement. Part of my job requires dealing with IDS and network infrastructure design so I kind of have to understand how things are done so I can implement proper security measures. I am by no means a hacker nor would I posture as one. But I have dealt with many fairly serious individuals on both sides of the divide so i always find it amusing when someone starts spouting off things they obviously know very little about.

And I enjoy debating with you too. The force is strong with you young jedi :p

7. Luya Sevrein

I'm a bit of a failure. I was learning scripts with every intention of making something out of it and then realized - Oh heck, I should totally make an awesome website for my novel with these instead! XD

Which I haven't done either. I've just got a new graphics tablet so I'm obsessing over that at the moment.

I would love to learn what you know. As I said - I was somewhat raised around the culture, rather than being any knid of hacker or programmer myself. My expiriences range to being a parasite to my street's connection when mine faulters. XD

I dunno, though, I'd say working with IDS/IPSs are a good starting point. What's your preferance? Do you use what your company tell you to? I don't even know your job. xD

Uh, I thought this was the off-topic thread but It's not.

I actually seriously do want to know what's going on with ADWD. People seem to know that George has brought out chapters and descriptions and I, honestly, know nothing.

8. ChrisW

ChrisW Banned

That's rich coming from you. I tink I'll call you Pot from now on. Only in my head ofcourse.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  9. Hobbit

Hobbit Administrator Staff Member

What's this? More bad-tempered grumpiness about George not bothering to, y'know, do what everyone tells him to?

We don't discuss GRRM's sexual behaviour because that's not what we do at SFFWorld.

Arstan, please go and have a read of the rules that you agreed to when you joined here if you're not sure. As you've said yourself, our rules are a little different to a lot of places and it can take a little bit of getting used to.

As for this thread: New year, old thread. It's being going long enough and seems to bring out the worst in people, so I'm going to do what others have been clamouring for (and I mentioned 50 pages or so ago) and shut it down. This will happen in the next few days.

After 1900+ 'comments' I think everything's been said that needs to be said on it.

Also in the next couple of days there will be the return of the old GRRM forum: we've listened to what everyone has said, and thought it best to bring it back as we still get massive posts about him, more than any other author at the moment.

And with the TV series coming up, it sorta makes sense.

Staff will be watching: be prepared to be stomped on should you feel the need to post things that are not in the traditional spirit of SFFWorld.

Mark

10. Evil Agent

Evil Agent Saturn Comes Back Around

LOL! I was just thinking today how insanely epic this thread has become. You're probably right about shutting it down, though. It's been a good ride, full of ups and downs and downright weirdness. Thanks for the memories folks. ;)

Excited about the return of the GRRM subforum!

11. AmethystOrator

AmethystOrator Registered User

(It sounds like I'd best get a post on here while there is still time).

The book will be published, or it won't.

The book will be good, or it won't.

Nothing that I say or do will delay the book, or make it come any more quickly.

If/when the book arrives, I will read the book.

I will either enjoy the book, or I won't.

Life is a journey, and ADWD will be one more step on that journey, or it won't.

If/when the book is published, this cycle will repeat.

I accept all of these things in their entirety. Having done so, I am at peace. :)

12. ChrisW

ChrisW Banned

Ya know someone will just ask the same question again in the sub forum and the whole thing will start again. This thread will never die.

13. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

He was a writer and script editor on a show that got 20 million viewers weekly or, in modern terms, more than the latter five seasons of Lost, and Hollywood paid for his house (both of them) and his residuals were his main source of income for a long time even after the first few ASoIaF books were published. So I'm not sure what definition of 'failed' you are using here. Compared to J.J. Abrams maybe he's a failure in television, but by that yardstick so are most TV producers and writers.

Whilst I've said before that I think the disallowing of discussion on the release date is not a good idea, there is also the fact we did allow it for three years and the result was near-constant flaming, bannings, hysterical outbursts and general arguing in circles and circles. Once it was disallowed things calmed down considerably. The pressure valve-approach, where discussion is re-allowed once significant new information is released, also seems to have worked and kept things at a reasonable level.

Also, Westeros has GRRM's official approval and like any official forum (and many unofficial ones), personal attacks on the author are not allowed. Constructive criticism, yes (debates over the quality of AFFC, over the sexuality issues, over the portrayal of minorities and the levels of violence and so on are all permitted and some are ongoing at this time), pointless ranting, no. That's not Sharia law, that's pretty much par for the course on most discussion boards.

You interrogated all 16,000 members (quite a few of them with phDs and doctorates, many more with degrees) and read all of the 1 million extant posts on every subject? Impressive. Nevertheless, at the moment there are lengthy discussions on politics, the Wikileaks scandal and its impact on national security issues versus freedom of speech, and other issues of interest.

As far as I can tell you've been told not to insult the author on his official forum and then gotten pissed off about it. Well, that's not exactly surprising.

Until the book comes out. Then we'll just get it again for the next one, and the one after that.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  14. algernoninc

algernoninc Now I'm an axolotl

i would welcome the return of the author forum.
    there's a new anthology edited with Gardner Dozois : "Songs of Love and Death" that I'm interested in and I would like some input about it.
    I'm also planning to read more of his short stories this year and discuss them.

15. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

The new collection is supposed to only be 'okay'. Songs of the Dying Earth was great and Warriors was even better, but by most accounts the new collection is weaker with a lot of filler.

16. Hobbit

Hobbit Administrator Staff Member

Thread closed.

New forums open: HERE.

Be nice!

Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.