ADWD Release July 12th!

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Mithfânion, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

Since we don't want another one of these (ADWD- October release?), I'm closing this thread and we'll either reopen it or start a new ADWD thread when an official announcement from George hits the intarwebs.

That thread was such a beast to moderate and keep track of so we hope you understand the reasons for us being strong-armed on the topic.

We are only 20 posts in and already sniping has begun.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2011
  2. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

Thanks to Rob for reopening the thread.

At GRRM's signing in LA, he stated that the announcement he was going to make was going to be about ADWD. His illness meant that he lost a week (I make that a bit more than a week though, so maybe he was rounding down) and hadn't delivered the book. The announcement will still come 'soon'. He also noted in an interview at the TCA that ADWD was close to delivery.

His latest blog post states that he is home and about to get back to work, but on a slower schedule on his doctor's recommendation. In that case, I would not expect an imminent announcement (within days), but maybe a few weeks to a month or two out (bearing in mind that tripling any estimate by GRRM for how long any job will take might be a good rule of the thumb).

3. teahupoo

teahupoo Supercalifragilistic

I'm betting he will finish ADWD in time for it to be released as early as episode 1 of the HBO show and no later than the season finale of season 1. Any takers?

Is it a coincidence that he happens to be finishing the book at such an opportune time?

I can't wait for the show. I wont buy the book until he has finished the final one or the HBO series passes them up. But i will be watching the show.

4. sweetmartin

sweetmartin Banned

do not haste with your thanks so early.this thread is opened and closed often as George`s workroom.for sure i will wait until the book is announced.

5. R.J.

R.J. Is Winter Coming?

Apparently it wasn't so tiring that he couldn't party after the book signing (where many readers waiting in line suddenly got the message that Martin had a plane to catch).

"The Writer" - I thought that was someone who actually, you know, writes. But if partying and hanging around with actors and actresses is being a Writer, then I'd like to be one too.

"George the Patient"? What does he know of PATIENCE :mad:

How about admitting WHY you cut off inscriptions halfway through?

If those three first books hadn't been so incredibly good...he'd have none left.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

So what he is saying is that blogging DOES take time off of "A Dance with Dragons", contrary to the arguments of the three or four people still in a defensive position.

6. Andols

Andols I like stories

So....is it out yet?

7. R.J.

R.J. Is Winter Coming?

It will be published next week, under the pseudonym "Joe Abercrombie" and re-titled "The Heroes". All expected characters like Daenerys and Jon are scrapped, but the story will be out NEXT WEEK and it will be awesome. :p

8. Rob B

Slynt & Sweetmartin, consider this a warning. The purpose of this thread is more of a running news item tracking so keep the snide, petty and pedantic comments out of it.

9. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

This latest attempt to find something to blame GRRM for seems a little desperate, it has to be said.

1. GRRM has an appointment in Hollywood immediately after the signing, so he can't hang around. He tells this to the guys at the bookstore but not the reason why (since it's confidential meeting, I would hazard a guess with HBO or maybe with the people working on the Skin Trade movie project).

2. The guys at the bookstore somehow garble this into saying that GRRM is leaving to get on a plane.

3. If GRRM heard this, I guess that, rather than go through the tedium of correcting them, the end-result that he needs to be out of there on time is the same so what the hell? If he was out back, he may not have heard them (the PR system is most shops does not feed into the back offices).

4. He leaves on time, goes to the meeting, then meets up with other fans for a meet-up.

Trying to turn this into some grand conspiracy theory is bizarre.

10. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

No, that's what you think he's saying. Ask any number of full-time authors and they'll tell you that their day is structured - Wake up at X time, spend Y time answering e-mails, write for Z hours - and so forth. It's entirely possible that George sets aside a set amount of time per day/week for his blog, but he's decided to cut back on that time in order to get the book out.

11. C-1

C-1 Registered User

If GRRM was originally planning to announce the finishing of the book at this gathering, I’m really glad he didn’t do it. For so long he has promised us that when he was finally finished he would first go and tell his wife, and then immediately post on his site that it was done. If he doesn’t announce it that way it would feel really wrong. That promise is the main reason I have checked his website so many times in the last 5 years, and I don’t want to feel like I’m(opposite off Neil Gaman quote).

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  12. Evil Agent

Evil Agent Saturn Comes Back Around

The most frustrating part is that he was basically just as close to finishing it back in July!

He sounded really optimistic about it back then... and then everything came to a screeching halt because he went on vacation for a month, then went to Ireland for a few weeks, then came back and got sick. I honestly believe there's been very little progress in the last 6 months, and knowing how close he was to the finish line all that time has probably been driving him crazy.

13. teahupoo

teahupoo Supercalifragilistic

Maybe he writes it and thinks its perfect so blogs something hinting at it being finished. A few weeks passes and the manuscript is sent back with plot errors and such. And it happens over and over.

However I think its more likely its been done for months if not years, waiting for the HBO series to be ready. I can't blame the guy for that. It is a sound publicity and financial decision.

14. R.J.

R.J. Is Winter Coming?

What do you know? Today he has regained the work hours lost to the Christmas disease. Expect "It's done" sometime during the day or maybe tomorrow.

15. Evil Agent

Evil Agent Saturn Comes Back Around

Hmm? I'm confused by your post. If you're serious, where are you getting this information?

16. R.J.

R.J. Is Winter Coming?

I was just thinking that he lost a week during Christmas, maybe two, making it two weeks since he became better. If he cut in half his 12 - hour days to say 6 hours that's given him 78 hours to finish "A Dance with Dragons" - maybe not enough (I know how time flies when trying to write something useful), but at least he should be so near the finish line that we should (and by should I mean wish) expect an "It's done" within the next days. Of course, this is conjecture (is that what they call it?) just like Werthead making up the story of the signing in LA, but we have been expecting with utmost patience for years and years, it is time to demand.

17. Snikt5

Snikt5 www.Ritualofthestones.com

Rob B, please try and keep this thread open. The majority of us like reading the updates and speculating and can ignore the snide comments.

18. Rob B

We want to keep this thread open, but when other members insinuate that other members are lying, and they rip apart every member's post it makes our job as mods more challenging.

19. R.J.

R.J. Is Winter Coming?

I hope you see that the insinuations go both ways, though.

20. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

As I said before, Martin did not leave the signing to go to the party, he left to go to a meeting. The meeting appears to have involved Melinda Snodgrass (who went with GRRM to the party afterwards). From that I strongly suspect this is something to do with the Wild Cards movie script they worked on a few years ago and has apparently seen some recent renewed interest (due to both the increased interest in superhero movies and GRRM's raised profile from the HBO deal).

So that was pretty much the situation. Yeah, the store got it wrong by saying it was a plane, but the amusing thing is that if GRRM had corrected them, it would have raised the fans' hopes ("Yay! He can sign all our books after all!") and then dashed them, and GRRM would now be being criticised for that ("The jerk! Why didn't he just not say anything?"). The reason GRRM has not commented on this is that is a mind-numbingly pedantic and trivial error that would not have had any practical impact if corrected.