Anything like Altered Carbon's sleeves?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Overgeeked, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Overgeeked

Overgeeked Fishbowl Helmet

If you don't know it or haven't read it, Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan is a great read, I think. What I'm looking for are more stories, novels or shorts, or whatever, that use anything similar to his 'sleeves' idea. The basics are human bodies have a stack (re: computer storage) implanted to backup the person's mind. The mind can be transferred between bodies (re: sleeves) with ease. A large part of the novel deals with the interesting and cool implications of such technology.

I'm looking for other books that use the same or similar devices. And yes, I am aware he has written sequels. Thanks in advance.

2. algernoninc

algernoninc Now I'm an axolotl

Dancing With Eternity by John Patrick Lowrie has a similar concept : transfering the conscience stored in a digital format to a rejuvenated body.

3. Pennarin

Pennarin Registered User

I have not read anything that comes close to a sleeve in terms of potential. These things are alive yet can be so artificial as to be better than souped up artificial cybernetic bodies imagined by other authors.

4. Karyle

Karyle The Sophisticated Pug

Scalzi's Old Man's War deals with... kinda. It's a similar idea, anyway.

5. livens

livens Registered User

Alastair Reynolds has similar tech in his culture novels. Minds can be transferred into large storage mediums, mostly on/in sentient ships. If you die you can be revented into a new body; either a clone of your original or pretty much any other form you like.

I like the way Reynolds handles alot of the social implications of being effectively immortal. After living for a few hundred years you may begin to grow bored with life. At that point you can transfer into a simulated environment where your life can be whatever you want it to be, only limited by your (or an AI's) imagination. Then if you get bored with that you can retire into the common consciousness of whatever substrate is housing the simulation you were in.

6. Pennarin

Pennarin Registered User

...Ian Banks, you mean?

7. Kazz Wylde

Kazz Wylde Rogue Warrior

Yeah sounds like Bank's Surface Detail, I remember some reviews of it.

8. k1w1taxi

k1w1taxi Registered User

Tangental but worth a read Kil'n People by David Brin

Cheers
    Lee

9. tensai

tensai New Member

Definitely Kil'n people.

Also Vast, by Linda Nataga. Absolutely great read, can be stand-alone although you'll get a bit more out of it if you read the earlier books (deception well and bohr maker). One of my top 5 all-time books.

10. Michigan

Michigan Registered User

probably 20 years ago I read A Trace Of Memory by Keith Laumer which dealt with swapping memories in bodies.

And Reynolds did touch on the subject in some of his books, between Chasm City and the whole idea of the 88(I think that's the number). Tad Williams dealt with identity downloads in Otherland. Hamilton has used the idea of memory downloads in both of his big series.

I feel like I have read quite a few books over the years that dealt with cloning and memory implants. Not quite the same treatment Morgan gives them but same basic concept.

11. odo

odo Registered User

The Ophiuci Hotline, by John Varley.

Quoting from the Wikipedia: