Ask the Author

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Wayne Batson, Aug 6, 2007.

1. fantastyfreak

fantastyfreak Total Dork

even though I own a copy of Final Storm, will be getting the Lost Chapters version. Hey! I always need a second copy of such a great series!

2. James Somers

James Somers author:chroniclesofsoone

How faith in either "King" rewards the character or conversely how not having faith in either "King" will bring righteous retribution....(how the gospel is shown in your allegory)

James;)

3. James Somers

Personally, I'd say you are really missing out by not having the hardback versions of this series. This is one of those rare series you will want to save for your kids and the hardbacks are so well done by T.N. --just beautiful.

Paperbacks are nice, but they just don't stay in great condition the way the hardback will and while the new versions are nice books, I just can't get over how nice those hardbacks are.:rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with having them all though, is there Wayne;)

James

4. Roheryn

Roheryn Xenite

true enough... but for now, since I have the first two in the paperback versions, I'm going to get the third that way... ya never know what'll happen in the future though...

5. Wayne Batson

Wayne Batson Tolkien Disciple

Of course, there might be a 3rd option. Hmmm...

6. Big_Dave

Big_Dave New Member

I know that as a reader it is always kind of sad to finish a series of books. Obviously I can re-read them anytime I want to, but that inital revelation as to how the story finally unfolds is never really the same after the first time through. I wonder if you have a similar feeling as an author and if you have consdered re-visting Alleble in some way in a future book/series.

7. Wayne Batson

I know what you mean, Brig Dave. When I finished The Lord of the Rings (each time), I felt a wonderful mixture of exhilaration and melancholy. I'd hoped to create an adventure in The Door Within Trilogy that would have that kind of impact on readers. I was very concerned about the ending, wanting it to be "just right." So when I got to the end of The Final Storm, there were dozens of potential ways to end it. I mean, there absolutely NEEDED to be a finality to it, closure without ambiguity. But at the same time I wanted readers to know that The Door Within is always open. So when the last few scenes popped into my head, I was very, very glad. I felt exhilaration and melancholy while writing them.

Will I ever write another Door Within tale? You never know. Adventures, after all, are funny things.:)

In the near run, however, I've got a sequel to Isle of Swords to finish by October. And then, I am SO stoked to begin a 5-7 book new fantasy series that I think will blow the doors off anything I've ever written. Of course, I don't have a contract for this new series yet, but I'll leave that to God. :cool:

8. galacticlord

galacticlord Registered User

Are you going for Tommy Nelson again or somebody else? And are you thinking of a CBA publisher still, or will you try for an ABA publisher?

9. James Somers

Wayne--two quick questions:

Is Isle of Swords only going to be two books?

Is your new fantasy series going to continue with the teen genre or is it intended to be more adult oriented?

James

10. Wayne Batson

For my next fantasy series, I'm going to propose it to TN. I LOVE working with them, and they do such a phenomenal job with production and distribution.

The only concern is that my subject matter may be a little too edgy for them--esp. now that they've changed their age-group definitions. This new series will not be objectionable in any way, and will be a true fantasy story, but like Lord of the Rings, it'll be a serious tale, full of serious themes. What they might do is bump me up to general fiction as opposed to the children's division. Not sure.

But I hope to stay with TN. I think this series will be the best thing I've ever written. God has literally been raining cool ideas into my head. I've got about 15 files chock full of fantasy goodness. :rolleyes:

11. Wayne Batson

1. Isle of Swords will have one sequel (planned as of now), but you never say never, right?

2. I think this new series will be perfectly appropriate for teens. I'd describe it this way: The Door Within is appropriate for any age reader who could handle Narnia. This new series will be best for those who can handle The Lord of the Rings...if that makes sense.

12. alexrider12

alexrider12 Master of Devon

Tommy Nelson looks good on you...

I've been looking for Isle of Swords, and haven't found it yet. Probably in some corner of my BORDERS store... Oh well, I'll probably just order it off of Amazon.com.

Any ideas as on titles for future books?

13. Wayne Batson

Still kicking around several title ideas for the Isle of Swords sequel. For the fantasy series, it's a little too soon to say for sure what titles might be.

14. James Somers

How about:

Fire Storm?

Something with "MAELSTROM" in it?

Shoot...I still think Rain of Fire sounds great after reading Isle of Swords. If it's a two book series they do sound good together.

Isle of Swords and Rain of Fire...sounds pretty good to me. And they're both 3 syllable titles so that goes well phonetically...ooh, ooh is that even a real word?:p

James

15. Wayne Batson

Unfortunately Rain of Fire has been used twice in the last coupla years, so we're not going with it. Alas. I'm going to post the two newest possibilities on my blog. A little help?

16. alexrider12

I think Crossing Swords sounds like a good title. It keeps with the "swords" motif and I can almost see the cover in my head.

By the way, I just got (and finished) my copy of Isle of Swords. They have it on special display at the front of my BORDERS. IoS is definately your best work. Great adventure, great intrigue, great spin on what is normally a cliche (Cat's true identity), and great job of making this a very different kind of story from Pirates of the Caribbean.

And it's good to see the Door Within Trilogy listed as bestsellers on the cover.

17. Wayne Batson

Thanks AR. Glad to hear that Isle of Swords is Face Out. What Borders store was it?

18. fantastyfreak

fantastyfreak Total Dork

My Borders does not have a display, will need to get them to make one, heh!

19. alexrider12

It was at a store in the Clear Lake (part of Houston, TX) area. It was stacked very close to the latest Harry Potter book. It's right across the road from a Barnes & Noble store, so they must be thinking it'll do well.

20. alexrider12

...and a Door Within MOVIE??? I mean, I just saw it on the site. I've always imagined the books as movies, but that's... incredible. And even if it gets turned down by this studio, it's apparent that Hollywood's interested, so that's never a bad sign.

I can just see a copy of TDW at BORDERS. There's this unknown teenage actor on the front (with blue eyes) and in some new and unusual font over his head:
    THE DOOR WITHIN
    SOON TO BE A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE​

Wow.

I just hope we don't have another Bakshi LOTR or Eragon experience. Your books deserve to be done right.

This won't hurt book sales, either...:D