At what point do you stop buying and start renting?

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Pajak, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Pajak

Pajak Registered User

I have just begun my book collection 3-4 years ago, I have about 3-4 series, which about anywhere from 7-14 books. I am just curious as to when anyone decides to rent a book instead of going to the store and dishing out $20-30 for a hardcover.

Reason I am asking is because I just finished The Gathering Storm(WOT) and that book wasnt cheap, it also didnt take me long to finish it either. My next series I think will be The Blade Itself, but those are still in hardcover.

2. kater

kater Filthy Assistants!

Do you have access to a library?

3. Queen Aurora

Queen Aurora KOC addict

I very, very rarely buy books as I never read a book twice. I just got to the library once a week.

Plus I could never have a lovely bookcase full of lovely books because kids claim everything!

4. MattNY

MattNY Registered User

By renting, do you mean using a library?

I prefer to buy for many reasons, such as:

• Being the first one to read that particular book

• Being able to take my time

• Supporting local bookstores, where I enjoy spending my free time

• Supporting authors/publishers/etc

• Being able to revisit a particular book whenever I wish

• Sharing my books with friends who may be on the fence about a particular author

Those would be the main reasons I choose to buy. Everyone has different reasons though and for some, it doesn't make sense for them to buy very often.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  5. Bastard

Bastard Jack Bauer

You can always just buy used books or wait until further in publication to buy the book when the price lowers... At this day and age, if you do proper research it should be quite uncommon to find the need to buy a book in the $20-30 range.

6. Sparrow

Sparrow Banned

Buy special editions of the books you really love.
    No need to buy everything you've ever read.

Most of the books I have are there because they've made it into my sort of, Hall of Fame. Actually, of the books I have on shelves and laying about, most of'em I haven't read. I've read the paperback editions or listened to the audiobook versions, but the actual physical books (usually leather-bound, and/or signed, or slip-case cloth bound) are still virgins, never even cracked open in most cases.

For myself, I just don't like the smell of old books, especially paperbacks.
    To me they smell like an antique shop, like death. ;)

7. Roland 85

Roland 85 Registered User

Same. I hate reading other people's books. I like to own what I read, plus I have the collector's bug. I've never taken a book from a library and I don't think I've read more then 4 or 5 books that friends gave me..

8. Queen Aurora

Queen Aurora KOC addict

I love reading 'used' and worn books, some of the books I have taken out have had funny quotes/poems/ramblings etc in them.

I don't like new, it just feels unloved or I'm just a bit odd :)

9. Dyloot

Dyloot Registered User

I had a lit professor in college--a real old timer with pictures of him at the beat writers up on the wall--and he once told the class that he would never buy a book unless he planned to read it more than twice. At the time I totally disagreed with him.

Later I had a girlfriend whose father was a huge SciFi fan in his earlier years. He offered me a collection of boxes packed away in his basement with thousands of his old paperbacks inside. I politely declined and got to thinking: am I a reader, or a book collector?

Once my own fantasy collection grew to more than 200 paperbacks and hardcovers I opted to donate to the local library instead of adding a second bookshelf. Nowadays I only buy authors who are still trying to make it in the industry, like Abercrombie, or ones that aren't carried at the library.

Not owning certainly has its disadvantages. I donated the first six books of Malazan and gave away my copies of ASOIAF to a friend who had borrowed mine to read it and was much more likely to read it a second and third time. My bookshelf is far more manageable because of it, but now I can't go back and reread or jog my memory.

On a slightly OT note, do any of you loan your books to others? I haven't seen my copy of Name of the Wind in 18 months and I'm not sure I'm ever getting my Bakker books back. I really enjoy sharing my favorite titles with friends but sometimes they end up in boxes packed away and I go without.

So many pluses and minuses here.

10. Roland 85

Roland 85 Registered User

I only give books to my closest friends or people I'm sure are gonna return them in a normal condition. I am not anal when it comes to books, but I like to take some care of them. Underlining, corner folding, leaving the book open for days on end - big no-nos with me.

11. Dyloot

Dyloot Registered User

Hah, yes. What about creasing? I'm not sure how my handling of books differs from others, but I've had multiple people boggle at the condition of my paperback's spines.

The worst was when I loaned my buddy my copy of Middlesex (with an inscription from a good friend who had given it to me one Christmas), and he loved it so much he loaned it to his mom, who in turn managed to spill liquid on it. And then she returned it to me in that condition. :eek:

12. Johnny B

Johnny B Registered User

Do you ever order online from Amazon, etc.? It's a lot cheaper than buying in a store. Hardcovers are usually well under $20 new.

Where are you that you only have Abercrombie in hardcover? The paperbacks have been available in the states for a while--these are trade paperbacks though but are about $11 each bought new from Amazon.

13. AuntiePam

AuntiePam Cranky old broad

I just recently started using the library. For years, I insisted that owning books was the only way to go, or the only way for me anyway. I had to have hardcovers, first editions, and I had to have it as soon as it was published. Then two things happened -- the house was filling up with books, read once, put away on a shelf or in a closet -- and the budget got tight, really tight.

I bit the bullet a couple months ago and started going to the library. It's a huge relief, not having to find space for everything I want to read, and not having to choose between gas for the car and the latest John Connolly title. I can try new writers without worrying about whether I'm wasting my money.

The only downside is that library books aren't always as clean as I'd like. "What's that smudge? Chocolate? Ooh, are those bread crumbs?" Blech. But that's rare, and so far nothing has rubbed off. :)

I may never buy another book, and I'm fine with that. I looked at my Amazon history the other day and started adding up what I'd spent on books that I could have read for free. It was disheartening, to say the least.

14. Industrious1

Industrious1 Data Error

When I was in college and working part time, I used the library all the time, as I was very poor. Now I buy the stuff I want and usually end up giving it away to a friend I believe might enjoy it. I have gotten maaany people to read Song of Ice and Fire this way :p

Every once in a while I get a book back too.

15. Donteb84

Donteb84 Registered User

I buy used hardbacks from either Amazon, or my used book store. I don't spend more then $4 on a hardback from the book store, and get them as cheap as $0.15 plus 3.99 shipping on Amazon. But I only get them in very good condition.

16. metalprof

metalprof I should be working

When you run out of space?

Recently, I've been making lots more trips to the library than I used to. Before that, I would buy everything and keep everything. At about the time of our last move, I decided that due to the increasing price of paperbacks AND the desire to reduce the sheer poundage we had to move, I'd change my buying / keeping philosophy:

I have many authors who are still on the "buy" list. But of books I kept in the past, I donated to the library a whole bunch that I likely would never read again; I'm only trying to keep books that have potential re-read value. For other authors and newly discovered authors, I'm using the library as my primary source.

For example, I'm working on SM Stirling's Change books. I liked the Nantucket trilogy and original Montival trilogy well enough, I guess, but I know I'll never re-read them. So, having bought all 6 of those originally, I gave them away. Now that I'm in the second series of the Montival books, I'm getting those from the library.

Here is the list of books that I've bought and are still on our shelves (from the SF/F/Horror genres only):

http://faculty.valpo.edu/kluther1/scifihorror.html

And this is after a significant weeding out the last time we moved, this past December.

Ken

EDIT / ADD: When the price of e-books come in line with the price of a new paperback (not far off now, I think), I may go back to paying for a lot more books that I otherwise might not, since storage won't be an issue anymore.

17. Winter

Winter Dazed Rambler

I always use the library when it comes to books I am unsure of... if they actually have them, that is. It is definitely not my go-to source for books, because I love buying them, but it comes in handy when I want to try a book I wouldn't normally want to wager my money on. However, after the beginning of this year, I found myself in a position where I needed to save money and have been forced to cut down on buying books significantly, which means more use of the library. I look forward to being able to buy books again, my library system has a crappy selection.

18. DelphicRaven

DelphicRaven Registered User

I buy books I KNOW I'll love and read more than one time. If I'm unsure of them, or haven't ever read it before I go to the library. Also, there's certain authors the library doesn't carry so those books I generally have to purchase if I want to read them.

Recently, with an impending job-oriented relocation I've put my book buying on hold. Well, that and my bookshelf is full. I need to buy another one.

19. wwfward

wwfward Registered User

For those with shelf space problems, how about getting an e-reader? Also, one of my biggest pet peeves with door stopper books (especially those omnibus books) is the weight of those things can crush you while you're reading in bed. With e-readers, problem solved!

I'm ready to jump into the e-reader bandwagon, but I'll wait until they get a bit cheaper to maybe sub $100. So excited to get one though.

20. Aktunka

Aktunka Registered User

I picked up a Kindle about a month ago and I absolutely love it! If you have a smart phone, though, you don't even have to have a kindle (at least I don't think so). I have the Kindle App on my iPhone and I read my books on there probably even more frequently than on the Kindle itself. The best part of the Kindle is that I am now able to sample authors that I would never have even heard of much less tried. Free books and books that cost about a dollar. I actually discovered a very good fantasy series on there by trying out the first book in the series through the Kindle. It was $0.89 so I didn't feel bad risking it. Now I just finished the third book a few days ago and I can't wait for the fourth. (The series is the Half Orc series by David Dalglish...I started a thread here you can search, so I won't go into any details off the topic here)