August 2012 Flash Fiction Voting Thread

Discussion in 'Writing' started by norm, Aug 26, 2012.

1. norm

norm We parley for nobody

2. N. E. White

N. E. White Moderator Staff Member

Man, only one vote?

Okay, I left individual comments in the threads, so I hope that counts for comments and critiques. Here's what I liked about each:

Enemy of the Triumvirate - an atheist martyr! Excellent! :D

Grinders - the story's sensuality

Last of the Tooth Fairies - great story premise: something is eating the tooth fairies!

Discovering Death - loved the idea of his soul holding onto the vengeance throughout the next life. This can be one of those great epic flash stories that easily leads the mind to on an never ending story.

Starting The End - great world building, and sci-fi notions of just what life is

My Soul To Keep - another great world builder, and I really like the Mr. Winters. In both this flash and your last one. Doesn't work too well as a flash, but still good reads.

Vote goes to...

Grinders.

Thanks for the reads. :)

3. Tristis

Tristis Forgive us our tristises

I may or may not have internet access over the next 7 days, so I'm voting now.

My Soul to Keep gets my vote.

Thanks everybody. I was well entertained reading-wise.

4. R.J.

R.J. Is Winter Coming?

Thanks to everybody for giving of their selves with interesting, and this time very different, stories. For me, the best story is either "My Soul to Keep" for its prose and concept, or "Starting the End" for its setting and mysterious conclusion.
    Since Wulfen already has a vote and I think these two stories are equally entertaining (however in very different ways), I'll give my vote to Tristis and his "Starting the End".

5. SuperFede

SuperFede Writer wannabe...

It feels strange this month. Usually i get a favourite one and just know it.

This time I don't have one. All good stories but i find it hard to find any one that stands over the others.

However i must vote for only one, and it is "Last of the Tooth Fairies"

As for the comments i left them on the individual threads, i owe one i think, to be posted soon.

SF!

6. R.J.

R.J. Is Winter Coming?

It's terribly quiet around here these days.

7. Wilson Geiger

Wilson Geiger Greymane

It definitely is quiet. I'm not sure if I've seen it this quiet since I've been here.

BTW, my vote goes to Starting the End, by Tristis. I really liked Enemy of the Triumvirate, too.

8. aiasminor

aiasminor Registered User

There were several good stories this time around though not as many as usual.

SuperFede I like the story but I wish you would have did more editing.

Starting the End was also a good story though, like SuperFede, I had to read the story a second time. Only after I read all the comments on the thread did I understand the story. Not that the meaning was hidden or anything like that. It just didn’t stick out to me the first go around. I would have voted for your story except that one reason.

My vote goes to Last of the Tooth Fairies. I liked the idea. I thought about it for a while after I read the story and considered what it could have been. Though I wish we could have gotten into the story sooner and condensed the beginning so we could see what was killing the tooth fairies or spent more time considering the implications. But that could just mean that it was a good story that left me wanting more.

9. Andrew Leon Hudson

Andrew Leon Hudson sf-icionado / horror-ator

I would like to vote for Grinders. Of all the stories I think it is the tightest, the most satisfying both in terms of style and in achieving a coherent flash-level narative.

Two stories came close for me by ticking one or the other of these boxes. I thought Starting The End did a good job of expressing the protagonist's murderous urge and I admired the ambitious scale of the ramifications, but on a prose level it demanded some deciphering; I suspect that ambition was complicated by the limitations of the word count. It seems well worthy of a rewrite, either to make better use of a thousand words or to go the other way and expand a bit beyond flash.

By contrast, My Soul To Keep has a solid style but in my opinion falls down as a self-contained narrative. It is a sound piece of writing, but to me it isn't flash fiction so much as a chapter. It may be a chapter of something good but, standing alone as it does, it feels like a transition between two more significant things. Grinders is a transition story as well, but while it tantalisingly hints at the protagonist's life before and after I didn't need them explored for the text itself to work.

10. norm

So here are the results, by my count:

Grinders - 2 votes

Last of the Tooth Fairies - 2 votes

Starting The End - 2 votes

My Soul to Keep - 1 vote

Enemy of the Triumvirate - 0 votes

Discovering Death - 0 votes

Which leaves us with a three way tie. So I'm going to leave the voting open for another 24 hours. You each get one vote. Vote for any one of these three finalists:

Grinders

Last of the Tooth Fairies

Starting The End

11. Andrew Leon Hudson

Not sure if I follow, but if I do, I reiterate my vote for Grinders.

12. norm

As a tiebreaker I narrowed the voting down to the three entries tied with the most votes. Of those three, vote for just one. Tomorrow, the story with the most votes will be the winner. Your vote currently puts Grinders in the lead.

13. funky mosquito

funky mosquito Registered User

I'm currently on holiday but thought I'd log in. My vote would go to starting the end. Now back to nursing my sun burn :eek:

14. N. E. White

N. E. White Moderator Staff Member

Grinders. :)

15. R.J.

R.J. Is Winter Coming?

Starting the End

16. norm

Alright, seeing as Grinders and Starting The End each got two votes, I'm going to cast the final vote and declare a winner. My vote goes to . . .

Grinders! Congratulations aiasminor, the flash fiction throne is yours for the month of September!:)

17. Andrew Leon Hudson

Well done to both.

18. aiasminor

aiasminor Registered User

I know this is a late vote but... I vote for Last of the Tooth Fairies. Norm didn't vote. :)

19. zachariah

zachariah Speaks fluent Bawehrf

I meant to vote for Grinders but forgot, sorry! All very good stories but Aiasminor's entry just fired my imagination that little bit more. Kudos to all the lovely writers who are brave enough to put their work out there!

20. PeteMC

PeteMC @PeteMC666

You won already mate! Congrats - can we have a September topic now please? :)

I know I haven't got round it it for months but I quite fancy a pop this month.