Best book by Poul Anderson?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by mikej, Aug 28, 2000.

1. mikej

mikej New Member

What do you think the best books by Poul Anderson are? I've just finished reading Harvest of Stars and I'm curious to read more.

Mike
    Webmaster
    Scifiws.com

2. shadowfire

shadowfire New Member

Three hearts and three lions

3. BigPooh5

BigPooh5 Pooh in Thailand

Tau Zero - I read it 35 years ago and it stuck. I forgot the title and couldn't track it down on Google, so I joined SFFWorld, asked the question and got the info immediately! I bought it again and it was still just as good.
    Why am I replying to a 15 year old thread?

Gandalf1951 and Bacchus like this.
  4. psikeyhackr

psikeyhackr Live Long & Suffer

These best book questions are so silly.

I could spend an hour debating with myself about whether Brainwave is better than Tau Zero or the reverse. And that is without brining up The Man Who Counts.

What ideas are expressed in a story versus how entertaining is it? All readers want the same things, right?

psik

5. Matthew Hughes

Matthew Hughes Old Pro

For me, his best fantasy was The Broken Sword.

6. drcorday

drcorday Active Member

The High Crusade was hilarious fun!

7. Matthew Hughes

Matthew Hughes Old Pro

It was made into a movie twenty-odd years ago. Not a very good movie,, though. Too bad.

8. Bacchus

Bacchus Registered User

I love these two: Tau Zero and The Boat of a Million Years. I've read a few more but these have always stuck out. I do want to go back to his Polesotechnic stories and read all of them (I've only read some here and there). I also liked his High Crusade. As drcorday says, lots of fun, but it never struck me with the power the other two did. I never read any of his fantasies and they're supposed to be excellent, too.

9. Woofdog2

Woofdog2 Registered User

so hard to even remember what he has written (and I think I have all of it).

Particularly fond of his norse saga adaptations, as well as other folk tale/mythology adaptations (including three hearts three lions mentioned above, and quite a few more). Almost no one has read some of this part of his material and I think it is collectively the best.

He also apparently had professional- or near-professional understanding of classic and dark-age european history/anthropology/archaeology, given the settings of a number of his books. It fits with everything I know about the topic, and in some cases everything that WAS known at the time written. Some of this was straight historical fiction (king of ys), others came in under the time patrol banner.

I think his novel adaptations of the sagas in particular are a major contribution to the subject, but once again, how many sf/f readers even know he wrote them? You could read Mother of kings and the last viking trilogy and get a decent grounding in basics of norweigan history from harald fairhair til the death of harald hard-reed at stamford bridge (skipping late 10th and early 11th century a bit).

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015