Best Fictional Deities

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Riothamus, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Riothamus

Riothamus Registered User

I don't intend to make this into an argument about real world religion, but I was wondering who people would say is the best fictional deity on a philosophical level. Which one's nature in your eyes is the best philosophically. I haven't decided entirely yet myself but I'll say Crom from the Conan stories.

This has nothing to do with any kind of might makes right type stuff but rather because of what he values. He values people getting things done. He tells you to fix your damn problems.If it was a problem you created you have to fix it. You shouldn't rely solely on his intervention when you are perfectly capable of fixing many situations yourself.Furthermore, he values inner strength before physical might.He values courage and valor before any mortal muscle.

2. Lucas Thorn

Lucas Thorn Cthulhu's Red Bucket

i loved the gods of chaos and order in moorcock's worlds. in one world, a god can be a good guy and in another evil. powerful in one, powerless in another.

it felt like modern politics. where one day you're all shiny and squeaky clean and the next day you're hitler's best bro.

no wonder moorcock's heroes were always so confused.

3. algernoninc

algernoninc Now I'm an axolotl

"His followers called him Mahasamatman and said he was a god. He preferred to drop the Maha- and the -atman, however, and called himself Sam. He never claimed to be a god, but then he never claimed not to be a god."
    Roger Zelazny - Lord of Light

The gods who walked among men in Jacqueline Carey Kushiel series are my second pick, and the oness from the Discworld - especially in the book Small Gods.

4. Raven of SD

Raven of SD Registered User

I'd say Mael from Malazan.

5. azninvasion99

azninvasion99 Registered User

I felt that Ruin and Preservation in the Mistborn trilogy were great deities.

6. PeteMC

PeteMC @PeteMC666

I always liked Tanith Lee's immortals from her Flat Earth series - Death, Night, Delirium et al.

7. GarethKPengelly

GarethKPengelly Writer

The Four Gods of Chaos from the Warhammer universe.

Khorne, Tzeentch, Nurgle and Slaanesh.

Each has a distinct theme that is evident in their followers.

Khorne is the God of War and Blood, sitting upon a brass throne atop a moutain of skulls. His warriors are gibbering, bloodthirsty maniacs.

Tzeentch is the God of Sorcery, Architect of Fate, whose minions manipulate the destiny of mankind as it suits them.

Nurgle is the Father of Pestilence and Plague, beloved by his children, who long only to spread the joy of his myriad diseases to all and sundry.

And finally, Slaanesh, Prince of Pleasure, whose followers lose themselves in the excesses of pain, pleasure and depravity.

Brilliant, brilliant Gods.

8. CodanOfCanada

CodanOfCanada Lord of the Frozen Wastes

If I may be permitted to stray from the norm, I would say Neil Gaiman's Endless from his Sandman comic series are some of the most interesting gods.

9. Andols

Andols I like stories

Mael was one of the better comedic dieties ive ever come across. Erikson has quite a few really.

if we're including demi-god level also, i think the andat from the long price books were all great. Especially Seedless.

10. rawan33

rawan33 New Member

Yeah, I totally agree with you. Neil Gaiman is very interesting character.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  11. kged

kged Gloriam Imperator

Disgraceful comments! His Sacred Majesty's most holy Inquisition have traced your IP address and will be with you as soon as possible. If there is anything you still wish to achieve or experience in this life, I advise you to do so soon.

For me the most interesting religious fiction (manfully avoiding temptation here) is the clash of the Inrithi and the Fanim in the Prince of Nothing. It has a sadly real smack of realism to it, from the theologies to the practices and even down to the viciousness of the sectarian hatred. And on the other side, so to speak, the No-God is genuinely horrific.

I do love the idea of the Nameless Gods in ASoIaF, there is something magnificently bleak about a theology in which the Gods are so distant, so merciless, so unknown and unknowable that their adherents don't even have their names. That is a superb bit of writing - it tells us so much about the North and its people. I could say the same for the Drowned God, come to think of it.

12. Randy M.

Randy M. Registered User

What, no appreciation for Azathoth? Cthulhu? Nyarlathotep?

Randy M.

13. NickeeCoco

NickeeCoco Reader Staff Member

They're from the comic world, but Death and Sandman.

14. HeclaBull

HeclaBull Registered User

Yeah, he's great and one of my favorites amongst the many gods and ascendants in the Malazan world, Erikson's very good with how he handles all the mythology of his universe.

While he's not strictly a god himself, Bayaz from the First Law series definitely acts like one with the way he tries to direct and control the societies of his world and I love reading about him.

15. ebusinesstutor

ebusinesstutor Star Gawker

The "gods" in Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny were intriguing, especially since it was technology that made them gods.

My favourite use of gods and relationships with people are in Harry Turtledove's "Fox" series.

One of my favourite short stories about gods is Domino, Dominae by Dean Ing.

16. assasin

assasin Registered User

the lovecraft stories i've read give more info on the cults than the gods, any suggestions?

tehol is one of my favourite characters and bugg does tend to get coloured by association; but my top pick would probably be hood.

17. Riothamus

Riothamus Registered User

I think that's a bit too much of a stretch about the nameless Gods. I think it's more like their Gods are numerous and everywhere in nature so it is nigh impossible to know every single one of their names and that everything in nature and life is guided by them, and since they are an all wise divine authority, those who believe in them follow the path set before them because they trust in their strange some times unknowable wisdom.I know it certainly sounds like a huge leap of faith, but I honestly think that in some ways, it's the logic that works best for their worshipers who largely live out in nature. Their Gods are everywhere and in everything so they believe them to be numerous and close to them at all times. it's also quite possible that they believe their names cannot be spoken by human tongues.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  18. Randy M.

Randy M. Registered User

Not really. HPL's stories were more into suggestion than description and expansion, and some of the suggestion was indirect, using the behavior of the cults formed around the gods to indicate what the gods were about.

Randy M.

19. Mark Lawrence

Mark Lawrence The New ... MARK LAWRENCE

Rob, god of threads, weaving loose topics back into the fabric of the forumverse.

20. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

I don't think I've got many worshippers, though.