Best of 2011 and Hugo predictions?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by cgw, Jan 2, 2012.

1. cgw

cgw Registered User

Is this a reflection on the state of science fiction? Is hard scifi down or has the market held steady and it just looks down because fantasy etc. has blown right by it?

2. beniowa

beniowa Registered User

cgw, I'm not quite sure what you mean. Science fiction has always held sway at the Hugos. Fantasy often has trouble getting taken seriously. Three of the books on the list this year are SF, and while they may not be "hard" like books from the golden age, they aren't slouches either. Embassytown takes a pretty interesting look at language and Leviathan Wakes is a classic space opera story.

And yes, Feed nearly won last year. I was surprised to see Deadline on the list as it seemed to me that it wasn't quite as popular as the first book.

3. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

Part of why, IMHO, Feed may have generated more perceived buzz than Deadlin is because Feed took so many people by surprise and storm.

As for the short list, the only one I didn't read was Embassytown but I'd be happy with any of them winning as I enjoyed all four IMMENSELY.

4. cgw

cgw Registered User

What is the third?
    I over looked Embassytown because I was think of MiƩville as a fantasy writer. My error.
    Among Others - fantasy?
    A Dance With Dragons - fantasy
    Deadline - horror?
    Leviathan Wakes - scifi

5. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

Deadline is Science Fiction / Horror hybrid. The spine of the book says "SCIENCE FICTION" so the publishers and authors consider it SF.

6. cgw

cgw Registered User

The winner is:
    Among Others by Jo Walton

Anyone read it?

7. algernoninc

algernoninc Now I'm an axolotl

Yes, and I loved it. I am aware that the book has some of negative reviews, mostly about the lack of a plot, the relatively weak ending and the main character who readers find annoying and unrealistic. I guess the main attraction to the jury was in the numerous references to classic titles and the importance of libraries and fan clubs.

I'm not in that camp, I had problems with a couple of scenes (her aunts and a trip with her dad) but really I hope there will be a sequel.

8. beniowa

beniowa Registered User

Yeah, I've read it. I sort of fall into the camp that algernoninc was talking about. While I quite enjoyed the book, I did feel that it was a little lacking. Because other than the SF references there really isn't much to the book. Everything else just feels tacked on to justify calling it a novel.

I suppose there could be a sequel, but it didn't feel like it would go that route. Especially as this book is already sort of a sequel or at least an "after" story.

9. odo

odo Registered User

That was my first impression, too. But now, two months after I finished the book, it has really grown on me. I think that it is much deeper than it seems. There is the question of whether what Mor writes in her diary (about magic and the fairies) is a true account of actual facts or just her interpretation. And that ties nicely (in my opinion) with her passionate love of science fiction. I could elaborate, but it would be too "spoilery".

10. beniowa

beniowa Registered User

No, I get what you're saying and I got all that. There's also the idea that
    whether any of that stuff is real at all or just a delusion created by Mor's mind
    . It just didn't gel for me as much as I feel that it's been done better by other authors.

It's still a pretty good book.

11. AuntiePam

AuntiePam Cranky old broad

I hate to ask, because I'm reading Jo Walton's book now and I'm really liking it, but why is she personally unpopular?

12. odo

odo Registered User

Yes, it's not perfect but quite enjoyable. I'd have liked Embassytown to win (and cast my vote so), but Among Others was my second choice.

13. odo

odo Registered User

Is she? I didn't know.

14. suciul

suciul Read interesting books

Google is your friend here - as a hint try Hugo acceptance speech

15. kissmequick

kissmequick bingley bingley beep

I get some photos and congrats etc. Nothing untoward

Wanna try to be more specific?

ETA absolutely the only controversy I can see is Ustream shutting down the ceremony due to bots, when they had permissions etc. I see a couple of blogs mention a 'beautiful letter to fans'

So,, what the heck is this about then?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  16. suciul

suciul Read interesting books

maybe this link helps (see under Hugo III)

http://wrongquestions.blogspot.com/

17. kissmequick

kissmequick bingley bingley beep

But you posted about her 'personal unpopularity' approx nine months before that occurred. (And...hmm...I'm not seeing a huge swathe of OMG Jo is unpopular because of it either, even in that article it's noted maybe she's just name-checking someone who helped her, and it was just a bit odd)

So, you can see the future? Or what? If you can, you can still see more than I can here.