Blood Song (Raven's Shadow 1) by Anthony Ryan

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by suciul, Jul 26, 2012.

1. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Registered User

I agree with everyone, this reads like a polished epic, not a book by an indie author. I'm not actually done yet, but pretty clear its likely to be my top indie find, if you can still call it an indie find.

The only thing that struck me as unprofessional was the fact that the lengthy prologue was all in italics. It was way too lengthy for that, was kind of annoying.

Funny thing, I saw it at the top of the amazon fantasy section with a 5 star average rating, and I wouldnt even read the description because it sounded like a vampire book. I must have passed over it a dozen times before I looked at it.

2. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Registered User

Lots of good on your list, and it reminded me of a couple I want to check out, so thanks! I really like a lot of BV Larson's stuff, for example. That said, just for the sake of discussion and in case you hadnt considered it, I feel like you might want to consider ammending your list the next time you publish it somewhere to warn folks that some of the books on their have a very young adult vibe. For example, the Book of Deacon and the Emperor's Edge are both heavily young adult in my opinion, whether they were marketed that way or not. I was able to enjoy The Book of Deacon somewhat, but not The Emperor's Edge, and would have steered clear of both if I had realized they were YA.

3. Raule

Raule Registered User

That bothered me in the beginning, too, but lesser so during the brief switches between the present and the past. I guess it was a stylistic decision. I've seen big agency books do this, too, but switching fonts rather than italicizing might have made it more readable. Personally, I find reading italics for anything longer than a paragraph hard on the eyes.

4. Pointed

Pointed Registered User

I bought the book on the strength of recommendations on this thread.
    Excellent debut, will definitely be reading the sequel as soon as it’s out.

The characterization was very good and the pace was maintained without sacrificing depth.

An all round excellent find that I can recommend.

5. Kazz Wylde

Kazz Wylde Rogue Warrior

I'm kind of burntout on fantasy, think this would be a good refresher?

6. G.L. Lathian

G.L. Lathian G.L. Lathian

Yes. This book is truly one of the most riveting fantasy novels I've ever read. It's the real deal.

7. Kazz Wylde

Kazz Wylde Rogue Warrior

Right on, thanks for that, I been in a fantasy slump and been on a scifi kick here lately.

8. G.L. Lathian

G.L. Lathian G.L. Lathian

I was as well, truly. I had stopped reading in favor of writing, but that book re-sparked my interest and I've finished off about seven other novels in the past month. Plus, the Kindle version is only three bucks, so you can't really go wrong.

9. Kazz Wylde

Kazz Wylde Rogue Warrior

I dont have a kindle, I'm old school and prefer a book. Is it in B&N or what?
    Seen alot of comparison to A Song of Ice & Fire & Name of the Wind, sounds low on magic too which is good for me, like ASoI&F is.

10. Khale

Khale Registered User

I just finished reading this book and have to say it was just a great and enjoyable read. Definitely a fantastic setup for a very epic series.

11. Lordwalker

Lordwalker Registered User

Blood Song by Anthony Ryan........how is it?

I've used the wonderful search tool but haven't turned up much about this book I found on Amazon. Blood Song: A Raven's Shadow Novel by Anthony Ryan.

It appears to be independently published and has a blurb from this website announcing it as the "fantasy debut of the year". Along with a staggering 540+ five star reviews.

So what's the scoop? Who has read it? Is it good?

Thanks for your help.

12. suciul

suciul Read interesting books

13. Lordwalker

Thanks for pushing me in this direction. I'm curious? Why wouldn't this post have been at the top of the list, first page when I did searches for Blood Song, or Anthony Ryan?

14. suciul

suciul Read interesting books

I guess that because Blood, Song etc are common words so if you do not specifically restrict yourself with title keywords and/or use characters for search all not the default search any, you will get tons of results.
    I did a title keyword search and I retrieved the thread but of course I knew about it as I started it :)

15. Lordwalker

Thanks again. Continued reading it over the weekend. I believe it's the real deal!

Now if I had a map......

16. Haliax

Haliax Registered User

I've been reading this book given the recommendations in this thread and the comparison to Rothfuss. I've been enjoying it quite a bit, but I do think that it would benefit greatly from a thorough edit. I'm not sure how it is that people think that the book doesn't need help in terms of grammar, especially with commas. I find myself mentally inserting commas every time one is missing, and I've come across it often. There are also a fair few instances where he uses a comma and a period would work better. I do find it a little distracting, but the story more than makes up for it. I'm only about 40 percent of the way through, but it has been a quick read and I'm definitely looking forward to more, especially when he gets hooked up with a good editor.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  17. Haliax

Haliax Registered User

So, I just finished reading this book. It was an exceptional read, despite some grammatical issues. I found some parts to be a bit clunky, usually when the story was being told from the present, but in general it was a solid page turner. I don't think that it was better than Rothfuss, but it was close to being on par with him. I'd highly recommend this book to pretty much anyone, it's my top read of the year for sure.

18. molybdenum

molybdenum Analyze That

I'm about 60% of the way through the book, and I concur that it is really, really good. One comparison that I haven't heard yet is to Farseer, which I think it matches up with nicely, both in terms of style and themes. FitzChivalry and Vaelin seem like fairly similar people, though the king in Farseer is overall a lot more likable than this King. The books are similar in quality as well, but I'd give Blood Song the edge as it has a bit more narrative momentum.

19. Jussi

Jussi Registered User

UK cover art from Orbit:

[​IMG]

20. Jussi

Jussi Registered User

US cover art from Ace:

[​IMG]