Books similar to/as good as Altered Carbon?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by TooNice, Jul 15, 2011.

1. TooNice

TooNice Banned

I read this not too recently and absolutely loved it, but Morgan's other work left me underwhelmed. I didn't enjoy the alien angle of broken angels or the somewhat...desultory plot direction of woken furies (only way i can describe it really). So could anyone mention something in a similar vein that I might enjoy? I'm not really sure if it was the hard boiled side or the cyperpunk side that made me love Altered Carbon more, the unique combination of the two, or maybe even Takeshi Kovacs himself, but I definitely loved all of that along with the grim tone to it all. I was thinking of getting something like Snow Crash or Neuromancer, but honestly I don't know....I've always been more of a Space Opera kind of guy when it comes to Sci-fi.

Thanks.

Also what are some of Morgan's stand alone books like? Any that are really worth checking out?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  2. PeteMC

PeteMC @PeteMC666

Altered Carbon is the only Morgan I've read (other than his fantasy thing, which I hated) and if it reminded me of anything it was probably early Gibson so yeah, give Neuromancer a go. It hasn't aged brilliantly but it's certainly got the same sort of hard-boiled thing going on, and it's about as cyberpunk as you can get.

If you like hard-boiled and space opera, you might like Alistair Reynolds if you haven't read them already. Chasm City is probably the best one, IMO.

3. martielillycrop

martielillycrop martinelillycrop

I agree about Chasm City - very similar feel to it, and one of Reynolds' better books IMO. You might also want to look at 'Gridlinked' by Neal Asher. There's a similar grittiness to that particular novel in the Polity universe that might grab you.

Morgan's stand alone novels, for me, were hit and miss. I didn't get on with Market Forces (though I know others who loved it) and didn't even finish Thirteen (Black Man).

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  4. Contrarius

Contrarius You talkin' to me??

I haven't read em yet, but from what I've read *about* them maybe the Marid Audran books by George Alec Effinger would fit the bill? The first is When Gravity Fails.

5. Waiting

Waiting Registered User

I've read those and they are, at best, just OK. I liked "Thirteen". If "Altered Carbon" is a 10, then "Thirteen" is a 9 (IMHO).

6. TooNice

TooNice Banned

alright thanks, i like the sound of chasm city and neuromancer. keep the suggestions coming though.

7. pox

pox Registered User

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  8. crucislancer

crucislancer New Member

What I really enjoyed about Altered Carbon was the combo of cyberpunk and hard boiled with the first person perspective noir feel. It is, without a doubt, one of my favorite novels.

As far as something similar, I really haven't found anything yet that comes close. I had hoped that Broken Angels and Woken Furies would be more like the first book, though I wasn't disappointed in either of them.

I've heard that a book called Spin State has a similar feel, but I haven't read it nor a review yet so I don't know for sure.

pox mentioned Leviathan Wakes, I just started it and I'm really enjoying it so far. Definitely space opera, though.

9. Michigan

Michigan Registered User

Never really thought about the comparison but Chasm City does have a bit of the same feel, very hard boiled.

Personally I loved Thirteen, along with Broken Angels and Woken Furies. Actually liked the alien angle of Broken Angels more then Altered Carbon. Hated Market Forces though.

You mentioned Snow Crash and I don't think that compares very well. Good book in it's own right but definitely lacking that hard boiled/noir aspect.

10. funky mosquito

funky mosquito Registered User

Well I've only read the first Chapter so far on the Kindle but Quarantine by Greg Egan might fit, it's been around for a while and the books I've fully read of his have been more recent but the first chapter was enjoyable enough that I'll be buying it as some point. Just started Altered Carbon myself, so far so good.

11. beedle

beedle Registered User

Just finished the Takeshi Kovacs novels too, and i totally agree- Altered Carbon was excellent, but i was a bit dissappointed with the other two.

Personally I loved black man/thirteen, although that might have been because I red it before the others.

Gridlinked by Neal Asher was good, but i got bored with the next in the series (Line of Polity) and never finished it. Are the rest in the series any better? How about the Spatterjay series?

12. JustaStaffer

JustaStaffer Registered User

I'd say The Quantum Thief

13. martielillycrop

martielillycrop martinelillycrop

I completely agree about the 'Cormack' series. Gridlinked is great, the sequels flounder a bit. I liked 'Brass Man', though. Definitely read 'The Skinner' - it's awesome. 'The Voyage of the Sable Keech' is okay. Haven't read any of the others in the Spatterjay universe.

14. Michigan

Michigan Registered User

eh, wasn't impressed with Gridlinked. Half the book was this subplot about the protagonist being chased by these other guys, except he didn't even know he was being chased so no tension was built and when the subplot came to a conclusion it literally amounted to nothing. And the other half didn't make a big enough impression on me as I hardly remember it.

The Skinner book was a little better but I never got a sense that anything that happened was real. Haven't tried Asher again after those two.

15. Mostlyharmless

Mostlyharmless Registered User

I actually preferred “Woken Furies” to “Altered Carbon” and I also liked “Broken Angels”. They were all very good but I suspect that Morgan had listened to criticism and handled the idea of sleeves much more plausibly in “Woken Furies”.

16. beedle

beedle Registered User

My favourite bit in Woken Furies, and most of the other books, was actually the deComm teams in the Uncleared. I dont know why, but I really enoyed something about that setting, and I wanted to hear more about it.

17. runaroundace

runaroundace Registered User

I wanted to re-open this thread. I just joined this message board, and it was to ask the same question. I loved altered carbon, but couldn't really get into the 2 sequals. I also loved gridlinked, but I have not read anything else by Neal Asher. I actually havnt read any sci fi in the last few years, but I got the sudden urge to recently. I am hoping that someone could recomend a book or preferably a series that is similar to Altered Carbon or Gridlinked. It could be from any time, but I guess I would prefer something from the last 10 years, or even something brand new. I would prefer the book to have a noir feel to it, but it doesn't have to. It could also be space opera although I am not sure if I have ever read a book that would fit in that catagory. I would prefer lots of action and or violence. Anything Blade Runner inspired would be good.A series that is similar to Jim Butchers Dresdin Files, but Sci Fi instead of Urban Fantasy would even apeal to me. I am open to anything, but those are just my preferances. Any sugestions would be great. Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  18. marshal atkins

marshal atkins Registered User

I agree with you on that. It would be amazing if Morgan opened up the decon front to other authers similar to what Niven did with Man/Kzin.

19. MMerle

MMerle Registered User

I'd third or fourth, or whatever Chasm City; also, The Prefect - both Reynolds. Chasm City is great, very hard-boiled; I didn't enjoy The Prefect as much, but it's making similar moves, i.e. detective/procedural novel set in a high-tech future.

You might like Tea From an Empty Cup by Pat Cadigan... possibly Nova Swing by M. John Harrison, though this is getting into the very noir side of things.

20. runaroundace

runaroundace Registered User

Thanks for the reply (no I wasn't the OP but I re-opened the thread with a similar question).
    I have another question though. It seems everyone is recomending chasm city, which looks good, but I just can't imagine starting a new series with the 2nd book of the series. Shouldn't I start with revelation space, and then read chasm city after? Is there a reason that everyone is saying start with the 2nd book of the series?

I will also look into the other books you mentioned. Thanks for the tips, any other sugestions are welcomed!