Brandon Sanderson to finish Wheel of Time

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Werthead, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

Full story here.

A reasonable choice, I think. Someone who's a proven talent with a good writing style and the time to really sink into the project. Impressive stuff. Congratulations to Brandon!

2. SteveF

SteveF I like candy

Cool. Pleased with that.

3. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

Brandon on Dragonmount.com in the forum:

Very interesting. Isn't Brandon a member here? I'm sure he's stopped by a few times.

4. SteveF

SteveF I like candy

Yeah; he seems pretty level headed and deals with criticism really well. I suspect these qualities will come in handy in the coming months, given the nature of the internet and fandom in general.

Here's an appearance by Brandon:

http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17795

Of course, a key aspect of all this is that, even if people disagree with the choice, Harriet will be on hand as editor to ensure that things will proceed as close as possible to RJ's vision.

5. Power to the J

Power to the J Catacomb Kid

Wow. I really hope it's better than Elantris. But, as said, Harriet will be editiing it, so I think it will still be pretty good. I think that there are other candidates much more qualified, but this is pretty good IMO.

6. Takoren

Takoren Registered User

Feeling a little less pessimistic now, PtotheJ?

Never read this guy, but I know of the Mistborn books. This guy better be good.

7. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

Wow, he really is becoming something of an heir apparent at Tor, isn't he? He vis finishing up the Mistborn series, plus I think is contracted for another trilogy (or is it duology?) with Tor.

His Mistborn novels, at least the first two, I found to be very solid. The guy, from all accounts, is a pro and churns out books at a very impressive pace.

That said, there will of course be Jordan fans who won't be happy with this.

Either way, I'm glad for Brandon and think Tor made a good choice on this one.

8. EUOL

EUOL a.k.a. Brandon Sanderson

Alone, I wouldn't be able to do this. I have confidence in my writing, but this story is far bigger than I am--or can hope to be.

Fortunately, I have Harriet and Mr. Jordan's two full-time assistants. Between the four of us--and the notes Mr. Jordan left--I'm thinking we can come up with something that will closely match his vision for the book.

9. Corporal Blues

Corporal Blues I like to rock the party

Whoa, this is some pretty sweet news. This was the one series I can really give credit to for making me a fantasy addict, then around the 6th book, I started to loose touch with it due to long gaps between books, and my shoddy memory, finally after a false start on book 7 I decided to wait until the series finished to do a massive re-read. Then that plan seemed to be unattainable with RJ's death. This is really good news to me. It sounds like Jordan's notes were pretty comprehensive, and Sanderson, although I've never read his work, is solid from what I hear around here. Good news for me.

10. azidhak

azidhak Registered User

Best of luck to you Mr. Sanderson. You know it better be good! ;)
    I guess the real question now is: Do we need that wheelbarrow Mr. Jordan told us we'd might need for the last book or will a sturdy backpack do? :p

11. collar

collar Registered User

You're a brave man Brandon, good luck, I look forward to reading it.

12. Grasshopper

Grasshopper What's taters, Precious?

Yes, Brandon....we look forward to it.

13. Reborn

Reborn New Member

Congratulations, Brandon. I liked Elantris and from what I have heard Mistborn is even better so I don't believe that Tor will have cause to regret this decision. The best of luck to all four of you!

14. Takoren

Takoren Registered User

I guess that's my question, too. Mr. Jordan, as beautiful a world and story that he created, was just far too concerned with minor details and if he had just skipped over a few of them I believe he could have made A Crown of Swords and The Path of Daggers one book, and the same can be said of Winter's Heart and Crossroads of Twilight.

Like I said, I've never read your work, but do you plan on emulating his style of "describe the room in intimate detail and then everyone in the room and what they're wearing, right down to the pages, before you even begin to tell us what the scene is about?" or do you plan on streamlining some of that stuff?

15. Stevenator

Stevenator King in the North

This is great news. Good luck Brandon! I'm going to have to pursue some of your other stuff.

16. Bond

Bond Registered User

Mr. Sanderson I wish you the best.

I don't know if you're going to look back in this thread or if you do if you'd want to hear anything from fans of WoT but in case you don't mind I hope you don't think it amiss if I share some thoughts.

I hope you are someone who truly loves the series. WoT is my favorite fantasy series and knowing it as I do I don't see anyone who doesn't genuinely love and respect it doing it justice. (If you don't, well you'll just have to work harder!) I don't know if you've studied Jordan's writing beforehand but there is often stuff there that one will miss if only perusing casually. I'm presuming if you have detailed notes on hand this should become obvious.

It being the last book and with so many loose ends to tie up I fear writing the book may end up being merely an exercise of going from points A to B to C and revealing one thing one after another. Please take care in properly constructing each revelation so it doesn't feel like a series of info dumps. Also remember to give his characters the free reign they need to come alive.

Capturing the essence of Robert Jordan's tone and style may well be one of the harder things to achieve. He had a distinct sense of humor and infused his writing with a certain sensibility. If you ever have trouble thinking how something should sound, maybe you should think of Mat or think of how a gracious southern gentleman would handle it. From what I can tell from your bio that shouldn't be so hard since it appears you are one yourself. :)

Good luck!

17. ChrisW

ChrisW Banned

If Brandon listens to people like you i'm betting I won't be enjoying the bits he writes but from what i've read he will be paying attention to the detail(perhaps not as much as RJ but it will be there). My biggest fear is that he is one of the people who didn't enjoy the direction RJ went with the later half of the series. Also if RJ's notes don't say he intented to reveal or solve something I hope Brandon doesn't take it upon himself to do so just because some fans want an answer.

18. Bluestar

Bluestar Voracious Reader

You guys should read the interview he did about this, it's answering many of the questions that are being asked here.

Grats Brandon on landing this job. There won't be many people who won't know of your name after that. :)

19. clockwirk

clockwirk the enchanter

Brandon should just write like he writes and not try to cater to how anyone wants him to tell the story. Anybody could just move from revelation to revelation and give us all the info that we've been waiting for for all of these years. Conversely, I think it would be disastrous for somebody to try to cop Jordan's style, be it good or bad. Brandon is the guy they hired, obviously they hired him because they like how he writes. I've never read any of his stuff, but if he's a good writer I'll enjoy the last book regardless of whether it matches the previous books style or not.
    Congrats, and go do your thing, Brandon!

20. Richardb

Richardb I like what I like...

What an incredible honor for Brandon! This is sure to move his career to an entirly new level! I have not read his stuff, but if Robert Jordan's wife picked him as the successor, I'm buying his existing books to see what she saw there. That alone will drive a lot of sales, I am sure!
    I am very happy this series will be done, and can only hope the prequels get done also.
    Really excellent news!:):D