Can someone recommend some good "mature" anime?

Discussion in 'Other Media (TV/Film, Comics & Games)' started by Miriamele, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Miriamele

Miriamele Witch of the Woods

No, I don't mean hentai.

I've been getting into anime quite a bit lately and seen some stuff that I really enjoyed: Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, Akira, Macross Plus, Rouroni Kenshin (OVA).

Could someone please tell me what other stuff is out there that contains mature themes like the above? I don't mind any amount of violence or nudity as long as it's tasteful and not overdone.

BTW, a lot of people seem to like Ninja Scroll so I watched the movie as well as the first few episodes of the series but I didn't really care for it. It was okay, but the violence seemed to take precedence over the character development.

I apologize if someone else has already started a similar thread. I haven't been here for a while.

Thanks! :)

2. Bear

Bear I eat fish.

Check out Escaflowne, and if you can, get the subtitled version. The dubbing was really bad. Good story (if a little cheesy at times), good art, awesome soundtrack.

If you haven't seen any Miyazaki movies, watch them. Not necessarily "mature" (more of a fun for all ages kinda thing), but brilliant nonetheless. Spirited Away, Mononoke, Porco Rosso, Nausicaa and Laputa are good examples. Also watch Graveyard for fireflies. Not directed by him, but done in his studio. Very good, if depressing.

Perfect Blue and Jin Roh were both good films. Perfect Blue is basically a psychological thriller, only animated. And Jin Roh is slow-paced, but worth the effort, IMO. Awesome artwork in both.

3. Miriamele

Thanks for the tips, Bear! I'll check those out.

I have seen Spirited Away, and Laputa if it's the one recently released as Castle in the Sky. Castle In the Sky is my four-year old daughter's favourite movie.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2003
  4. Twelve

Twelve www.netjak.com

Hellsing. Very good vampire anime.

5. kater

kater Filthy Assistants!

My brother's well into Neo Evangelion aswell at the moment which seems quite good. If you haven't already then the classic Ghost in the Shell is a must see.

6. saintjon

saintjon Illustrious Gambler

yeah I'll second all that, except for Hellsing, but only because I haven't seen it. Noir is decent, but the animation is weak in some of the earlier episodes.

Wings of Honneamise was a pretty good story, real slow-paced and with brutal music, however the animation is gorgeous.

7. Hobbit

Hobbit Now.. A Seriously Likeable Administrator Staff Member

My (pretty obvious!) choices would be Ghost in the Shell and Akira (both already mentioned!) . I love Ghost in the Shell particularly, though the story is fairly slight, IMO.

Metropolis isn't bad, but not fantastic. (It is interesting when compared with the original b&w Fritz Lang movie, though!)

I also enjoyed Patlabor and Wings of Honneamise, though they also show some of the strengths/weaknesses of the anime films.

I really want to see Spirited Away, which had a very limited screen run here in the UK, but got fantastic reviews. Will look at it when out on DVD.

Hobbit

8. fluffy bunny

fluffy bunny Tasty or your money back! Staff Member

Check out the book (or in this case the manga ). Blows the film away. Didn't like the anime (movie version) of ghost to be honest- they're trying to cram in too much in to a short space of time. The movie seemed rushed and jumbled in comparison to the manga.

9. Miriamele

Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

I've seen Metropolis--I thought that the animation was beautiful but the story very slow moving. I found it hard to keep watching to the end.

Sprited Away is a very good movie, Hobbit. Isn't it out on DVD yet in the UK? It's been out in Canada for quite a while now.

10. Hobbit

Hobbit Now.. A Seriously Likeable Administrator Staff Member

Yes - thanks Fluffy, i'd heard that about the comic. The music though and the images are great but you've summed up pretty much what I thought. ;)

Miri - (nice to see you back btw :)) Sadly, Spirited Away was only shown in a few cinemas here in the late summer. Nowhere near Hobbit Towers that I could see. :(

It is due for release in February 2004 here (just in time for my birthday! :)) so not yet. The pictures I've seen of it though are stunning.

Hobbit

11. Frostmourne

Frostmourne Frosty The Snowman...

BEAR! YOU WATCHED ESKAFLONAY! Man, I thought I was almost the only person who watched that show from when it came out till the end.

12. fluffy bunny

fluffy bunny Tasty or your money back! Staff Member

escaflowne was rather good with a sweeping arc plot- but I missed 4 episodes in the middle somewhere due to exams and got totally lost as to what was going on.

Just random web search, but here you go: Escaflowne

On the edit- found a better one : Escaflowne

13. Bear

Bear I eat fish.

Though the animation in Metropolis was great, the movie was very lacking. No character development, poorly-handled plot. Good soundtrack, though.

Wings of Honneamise was good but slow, as mentioned.

Ghost in the Shell had awesome artwork and animation, but it was yet another reminder of how anime directors really need to lay off politics. They're usually very boring and don't add much to the plot, but they always include them regardless. And the manga was definitely better. All in all, it was a very cool movie visually and the mech designs were brilliant, but the plot leaves a lot to be desired (though, the idea behind the plot is a cool one).

Spirited Away was fanatstic, but Miyazaki is always good. And yes, Miramele, Laputa was released as castle in the sky here.

And of course I watched Escaflowne, Frost. I just didn't watch the English release of it. Didn't like the dubbing at all. Luckily, I managed to round up the fansubs of the series.

14. Vladimir

Vladimir Killer of Threads

I just wanna say Serial Experiments Lain and FLCL

and HA! at ninja scroll tv, it's at least 8 times worse than the NS movie

bleh

15. Zsinj

Zsinj Registered User

I personally would recommend one of my favorite anime movies of all time, "Vampire Hunter D". This is an awesome vampire movie!! D puts Buffy to shame!
    Also I would recommend the Robotech/Macross Saga. Some people might disagree, but I think it's pretty mature. It's basically an epic space opera about the invasion of earth by an alien race called the Zentraedi. It involves a whole lot of mechs, starfighting, political intrigue, action, adventure, and romance. It's my favorite anime saga next to Vampire Hunter D.
    It was made in the early eighties, however, so don't expect the high-tech, super-refined, streamlined animation of today, but it's still good animation in my opinion. You can usually find the Robotech/Macross Saga in music/movie/video-game stores such as Sam Goody, and also in discount stores such as Wal-Mart and K-Mart, in monstrous dvd boxed set editions. I think the have three boxed set editions out currently. collecting the saga: "The Robotech Saga", "The Robotech Masters", and "The Macross Saga".
    These editions are pretty darn expensive, though. Usually they'll run you about $60 a set.

Hope this helps!
    :D

16. Bond

Bond Registered User

Berserk

17. Stewart

Stewart New Member

What no love for Gundam?

Gundam Wing is awesome (try and find the not edited version) as is MS Gundam, Gundam 0080 (A little bit light hearted but with an extremely depressing ending), Gundam 0083. Pretty much all the Gundam stuff is great, but avoid Gundam G and Gundam SD, they are kiddy crap. And thumbs up on Robotech: The Macross Saga, it can feel silly at times but is an overall mature show.

18. Zsinj

Zsinj Registered User

Another anime movie/ miniseries I would recommend is "Blue Submarine No. 6" It takes place on a post-apocolyptic, ravaged earth, where virtually the whole planet is covered in water, like in Waterworld. In it, the united forces of earth are combatting a army of mutant terrorists, created by this mad scientist dude. The movie is kind of like a mixture between 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Seaquest DSV, Waterworld, The Hunt for Red October, and The Island of Dr. Moreau.
    This movie was really dramatic and very emotionally touching, when I saw the ending I couldn't help but break down in tears, I was practically bawling!
    And I agree on Mobile Suit Gundam, Gundam Wing, and Gundam 0080. Those series kick major arse!! And if you really like the Gundam Wing storyline, you might want to check out the anime movie Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz, which I thought was really good.
    And take Stewart's and my advice and steer clear from the SD Gundam and Gundam G series. Avoid them like the plague! They're total crap! They're like a bastardized, Pokemon conversion of the Gundam Saga. Utter blasphemy, I tell you! :)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2003
  19. Stewart

Stewart New Member

Don't get me started on Endless Waltz...

I recorded it when it first played on Cartoon Network and I watched it almost religously for a week following. By my current count I have seen it 29 times. I really need to buy it on DVD like I did the GW series.

I don't remember if anyone has mentioned it yet but Akira is also and awesome and very mature movie. Princess Mononoke isn't half bad either, very artsy feeling.

20. Zsinj

Zsinj Registered User

Yeah, Akira was very awsome and VERY wierd! Especially the part when the main dude turns into this big, gigantic mound of pulsating muscle! That freaked me out the first time I saw it!
    My sister said that, allthough she really liked the movie, she didn't really get the point of it, however, I got the point of it just fine. There were some pretty funny parts in that movie too, I remember my sister and I cracked up reallyhard when we saw all those punk kids lined up in front of that coach and he was slapping every one of them across the face and saying "SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP! GOT IT?!!"
    Hehe! That was like something straight out of the Three Stooges! :D

By the way, someone here recommended the anime movie Metropolis. Well, I second that recommendation whole-heartedly. I have to say that Metropolis is THE BEST anime movie I have ever seen! It's absolutely mind-blowing! And I just love the robot/human coexestince struggles/prejeudices (sp?) going on in that movie, like something straight out of one of Isaac Asimov's novels. I tell you what, this movie certainly had a lot of good action, intrigue, romance, adventure, suspense, mystery, and especially emotionally poignant drama. The ending made me cry, and believe me, it's very rare for movies to move me that much. With novels it's easy, because I'm really into the story, but with movies, it's very hard. There's only a handful of movies that really touched me: "Glory" (civil war drama), "North and South" (civil war drama), "The Patriot" (revolutionary war drama), "The Last of the Mohicans", "A League of Their Own", "The Whole Wide World" (the movie based on fantasy writer Robert E. Howard's life), "Lonesome Dove", "Star Wars: Return of the Jedi", and the anime movies "Blue Submarine No.6", "Akira", and "Metropolis".