Characters you hate

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Blizzaurel, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Blizzaurel

Blizzaurel New Member

I come across a lot of characters I wish the author would just kill off in fantasy books- and more often the good ones than the evil ones.
    My top pick for most annoying, most hated character:
    Faile (WoT)! She's so obnoxious and she absolutely ruined Perrin.

Anyone else have any characters they hate?

2. Alucard

Alucard Snazzy Dancer

Nyneave is up there. Personally, I'd like to tug those damn braids off and be done with it.

Little miss Cersei from Martin's series could use a few boots to the head.

And, so as not to appear sexist, Regal drove me nuts as well. I realize that was Hobb's intention, so I guess she did her job well.

3. saintjon

saintjon Illustrious Gambler

Cersei, Littlefinger, Verin (annoys me no end, couldn't care less about possible mysterious past), Erik Von Darkmoor's stepmom (mangy bitch).

4. Zsinj16

Zsinj16 New Member

Hmm, I think it would have to be a toss-up
    between Belgarion, C'Nedra, Polgara, and Silk from the Belgariad, but especially C'Nedra!! She was so dang whiny and annoying that I just wanted somebody to either kick her in the head or kill her.

By the way, I may not be psychic, but I believe I know what character Bardos is going to mention on this thread!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Bardos

Bardos Ancient Member

Really? Who?
    You have ONE guess.

6. wolfshead

wolfshead New Member

Richard Rahl--what a dumbo.

7. Cedric Frost

Cedric Frost Nosce te ipsum

Jimmy the hand... Squire James or whatever the hell he was called at the end, from the Magician series by Raymond Feist. The guy was just too smarmy for my taste. Someone should have clipped his hand off and ended his prissy "career" as a thief.

8. Crysania

Crysania Registered User

Ditto Faile. I mean I LOATHE her. HATE HATE her... !!! ugh! I also hated Egwene in books 3 through 8. But she's a little more palatable recently.

And also, Mirimiale from Tad Williams MST. She's the canker sore in an otherwise fantastic and amazing piece of work.

I think that's it, folks...

9. Zsinj16

Zsinj16 New Member

Of course this is just my opinion, but I didn't think Miriamelle was that bad.

10. Corwwyn

Corwwyn Registered User

Polgara! Also Belgarion and C'Nedra, but that Polgara really diminished my opinion of the series immensely.

11. Midus

Midus New Member

Stanis, Theon, Bran, and Sam from aSoIaF. I want them all to die. The first is an idiot, the second a prick, and the third / forth boring wastes of pages.

Minor Spoiler:

Luckily Theon is getting flayed alive.

12. Bond

Bond Registered User

Faile is bad but she is sweet in comparison with Sevanna. Sevanna hardly gets any air time but the few times she's around she always makes me want to gag. Why hasn't Therava deposed her yet?

13. SusF

SusF Who me?

I agree, Cersei must die. So must Robb Stark's mother (forgot her name). Much of the pain of the characters in those books can be attributed to those two.

Susan

14. The Fortyish Man

The Fortyish Man New Member

Jinna in Fool's Errand. I might be being unfair here as it is only the first book in the trilogy but she did irratate me and I hope she disappears from the series very quickly.

15. Blizzaurel

Blizzaurel New Member

Part of the reason I hate Faile so much is that you're supposed to like her. I mean, at least Sevanna is an intentionally unlikable character!
    I sort of like Catelyn... except when she's around Jon.
    I really can't stand Regal either, but like Alucard said, that's intentional so I guess it doesn't count.

*************SPOILER*************

I'm REALLY glad Lysa Arryn's dead, though, I couldn't stomach her at all, and I hope her son dies soon too!

16. Asraloth

Asraloth Space Cowboy

i agree on catelyn, she annoys me. if nothing else because she was mean to Jon, so she should get the arse.

cersei too, if anyone deserves it, she does.

i'm only up to ACOK, so i don't know if this has already happened in the next books, but I really want Joffrey to die, i hate him so much, i guess that was martin's intention though.

sansa was a bitch in bk 1, and i wanted her dead after what she did to Arya and the direwolves, but after she became imprisoned, she was alot better.

oh, and Samwell Tarly, what a fat wuss!

wow, martin certainly does create characters that move you, one way or the other.

NEVER Tyrion. He's my favourite character and i think that if most of the main characters die, he should be the last one left, surviving through his cunning.

17. Mithfânion

Mithfânion Lord of the Wild Hunt

I remember how much I wanted Regal to suffer and die. What a big baby.

Cersei Lannister is godawful, ultimate bitch and obviously not half as clever as she thinks she is. Unfortunately her death won't come soon, it would be too cliched. Though I do expect Martin will make her suffer and show her for the blatant idiot that she is.

Like Bran Stark very much though [​IMG]

I find Catelyn Stark to be slightly sympathetic as well. She did have some good counsel, but whenever she wasn't councilling and had to make decisions of her own, she went ballistic. I look forward to seeing more of her, the much hated Uncat.

Lysa Arryn was terrible as well. I'm trying to think of one of Zelazny's Amber characters but none of them affected me so much that I either loved or hated them. Brand I admired, a bit [​IMG]

My dislike for spiders leads to a giant gag party whenever I read of Shelob's description. Slimy and way too many eyes [​IMG]

18. Midus

Midus New Member

Am I the only person who likes Cersei? Sure she's the queen bitch, but she's a well developed intresting character. Villians are usually just the fall guys; in aSoIaF I can let myself like them, knowing they aren't predestined to die or mellow out.

19. Blizzaurel

Blizzaurel New Member

You know, Cersei bugged me a lot more in the first book than she did later on... I still don't like her, but I sort of respect her strength, in a weird way, and she is a really well-made character.
    Now that Martin's doing her perspective I'll probably like her a lot better...
    As Jaime is now one of my favorites

20. Cygnus

Cygnus Push the button Frank

I know I'm going to get a lot of slack for this but the one character I hate the most is still Thomas Covenant. I hated him so much that I couldn't even finish the first book. I know I just don't feel his pain or I can't handle the challenge of this series, it IS hard to keep reading when you're just waiting for the main character to get killed.

Though, I found all of the TC series at a used book sale this weekend and bought them. I may give it another shot sometime.