Choice of writing medium?

Discussion in 'Writing' started by Colossus, Jun 9, 2002.

1. Colossus

Colossus Any way the wind blows...

I am curious as to what medium the rest of you use when you are writing. At work when I am performing process or business writing I do a better job on the computer. However, when I am writing SF I seem to think better using paper and pencil (eventually translating it to disk).

2. Susan Boulton

Susan Boulton Edited for submission

Both to a degree. I compose on the computer. Rattle the story or the basic frame work off. Then when I am into editing I print it off and read it slowly marking up in red.

Then back and forth change, re write, print off read, mark up....

Last edited: Jun 9, 2002
  3. Erebus

Erebus Keeping The Equilibrium

We may get a better response to this in the Writing section, so I'll slip it into there and see how we go. ;)

4. Thoringil

Thoringil New Member

Usually, I'll end up jotting something down during a class or at night, doing homework, whatever... Then, once I have access to a computer, I'll add to it and polish it off.

5. gabador

gabador Angellicus Halfus

I very rarely use paper. Most of my work is on the computer, and it is only occasionally that I print it off. It would take up too much paper. I draw on paper. I tend to do my story-related drawings myself, and then scan them on the computer.
    Gabador

6. Bardos

Bardos Ancient Member

I, more or less, work as you, Gabador, though I do print it out. But, if you work on your PC, I hope you keep alot of backup and/or save in the net. :) You never know what might happen to your HD. I've formated mine many times, for various reasons. And it's a same to lose your work that way.

7. gabador

gabador Angellicus Halfus

Oh yeah! Too true!
    I nearly had a heart=-attack a couple of months ago. I was looking for my book on my hard-drive after formatting, made a backup ealier... But no! Wasn't there. Looked on the other PC! NO! Looked on floppys, nothing. I hought I would die...
    But thankfully, I sent a copy of it to a frien earlier that week, and he sent it back o me. I was really lucky. So Now I have it on a floppy, three seperate hardrives, a laptop, and on the net. Just in case. :) Better safe than sorry:)

8. Colossus

I think I write better on paper because the writing I do at work, which is on a PC, is is very procedural and technical. Whenever I try to write my book on a PC I can never get in the right mindset. Strangely enough when ever I am writing an analysis at work, which tends to require much more creativity than writing the actual process or procedure, I do most of it on paper first. I guess it's a right brain, left brain thing. :)

9. Miriamele

Miriamele Witch of the Woods

I always jot down my rough ideas, characters sketches, and such in a ratty old notebook (I have several kicking around). Then I write the actual story on my computer.

10. milamber_reborn

milamber_reborn Barcelona!

I've got a heap of small pieces of paper lying around with notes and names and stuff, but everything I do is on computer. It saves time and is easy to edit (for me anyway).

11. Qin

Qin Banned

Pen - meet paper. Go fornicate and bring forth book!

12. tamlyn

tamlyn New Member

Pencil. Not pen, unless it's nicely coloured or has my name engraved on it in fancy letters. But nearly always pencil.
    Paper - lined paper, old exercise books, school paper with the work crossed off, scrap paper with blank backs.
    Preferably exercise books, that are the little ones, not A4. 64 page. yellow, not pink, even though pinks better quality. Or paper I can write really little on.
    On computer stories tend to be short, easy to read with no planning of any sorts.

I think it must be a phycological. But it's true.

13. Gary Wassner

Gary Wassner GemQuest

I write entirely on my laptop! I close my eyes and type. Fortunately for me, I type faster than anyone I know, sometimes faster than I think. It goes with me everywhere with extra batteries and all! I do almost everything on a computer these days, and I sometimes think that I am loosing the ability to write with my hands. In fact, I can only print now. I cannot write in script any longer.

14. Qin

Qin Banned

You close your eyes when you type? Freak! :D

15. Colossus

I tried writing (paper and pencil) with my eyes closed once. Never could figure out what I wrote, either a love poem or the germination rate of crocuses.

16. Gary Wassner

Gary Wassner GemQuest

Thanks for the compliment! Yes. I close them and imagine the place I am writing about and type away. It actually helps me to focus. People do think I am a bit freaky when I work. I write everyday on a crowded train during my daily commute.

17. estranghero

estranghero Lord Deceiver

I envy you your laptop, GQ. I wish I have something like that wherever I go so that when the mood strikes you, just write.

For me, I use a PC to write since my brain moves too fast for me to write down via pen/ pencil and paper. Hence, my typing speed is REALLY fast.

Ironically enough, I prefer to send snail-mail vis-a-vis e-mail.:cool: