Comic book movies

Discussion in 'Other Media (TV/Film, Comics & Games)' started by SilentDan, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Eh. I disagree, sort of. It's a good film but if you've ever seen a film with Will Ferrell in lead then it's just another Will Ferrell film. I think I noticed a lot of similarities with the Anchorman film, and that limited my enjoyment of it.

But Megamind and The Incredibles aren't comic book movies, although the latter does have official comics now ;)

2. saintjon

saintjon Illustrious Gambler

Well working within the superhero idiom I would say that the Incredibles is a better superteam movie than the actual Fantastic Four movie by quite a stretch.

3. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Pun intended or not?

4. DailyRich

DailyRich Damn fool idealist

If someone were to ask me, "What is it about Marvel Comics? What's made them endure all this time?" I'd simply buy them a ticket to The Avengers and say, "Watch." It's the quintessential Marvel movie, and while it may not have dethroned The Incredibles as my favorite super-hero movie, it's definitely hanging around the throne room.

5. txshusker

txshusker A mere player

I'm surprised there's no love for The Punisher, with Thomas Jane. I thought it was a well done, low-budget flick that did it's job well. And one of my biggest disappointments was Spawn.

I watch The Incredibles all the time... don't know what it is about that movie that I enjoy.

Oh, and the Captain America from the 80s was not well done.

6. ebusinesstutor

ebusinesstutor Star Gawker

Saw the Avengers and really enjoyed it. Joss Whedon had a nice touch with it with plenty of humour and good action.

Enjoyed Iron Man's first meeting with Thor and this movie had the best Hulk I had ever seen.

7. Steven L Jordan

Steven L Jordan I like SF. SF is cool.

I do too, and I know why: Robert's need to be the hero and escape his dull existence; dealing with past mistakes; Helen's struggle to keep the family together; and the family's pulling together in adversity and working as a team.

Not to mention the stylized world and Bond-esque score, the humor and Dash's sheer delight at being able to run on water!

8. DDCOrange

DDCOrange Registered User

I'm fond of The Incredibles myself. My daughter remarked one time how the superhero traits match each family member. The father having to be the strong one. The mother having to stretch herself to cover the many family needs. The embarassed teenage daughter who just wants to be invisible. The troublemaking, hyperactive little boy too quick to keep track of and finally the totally unpredictable baby whose moods can swing from sweet and cute one moment to downright devilish the next! Very true to life!

9. raggedyman

raggedyman Registered User

They should never make another superman movie. The movie I would like to see made would be about Hugo Danner. ;)

10. ebusinesstutor

ebusinesstutor Star Gawker

Awesome! Another Hugo Danner fan. I thought I was the only one here. Gladiator was an amazing book.
    [​IMG]

And many people believed it influenced the creators of Superman.

11. raggedyman

raggedyman Registered User

Wow! I wondered if anyone would know what I was talking about. I first read about "Gladiator" in the late 1960's from a book by Sam Moskowitz that was in my local library. Then a few months later I found a lancer paperback at a bus station near my home. The similarities to superman are startling! You can down load a copy of this excellent novel from this site. http://manybooks.net/titles/wyliepother07gladiator.html

12. SilentDan

SilentDan Registered User

Avengers. God yes. Funny as hell, too. And Joss Whedon was a great choice of director. And the guy who played Hulk hit it out of the ball park.

Though how did they communicate without actual devices in the showdown? They pressed their ears, but there wasn't actually anything there. Unless SHIELD have invisible comms devices. Which makes sense, actually, since their whole floating fortress turned invisible.

Not sure if I like it better than Xmen First Class, though. I'd say about even. Both very good, especially considering the majority of these movies aren't particularly brilliant. I have hope for the comic book movie thanks to these two.

13. JimF

JimF Registered User

I loved both X-men First Classand Avengers. Avengers was more entertaining, but I think overall X-Men first class was a better movie, if that makes any sense. The dynamic between Xavier and magneto was amazing. Kevin Bacon was a better villian and wolverine's cameo was perfect.

14. milakunise

milakunise Banned

According to me I love comic movies so my favorite comic movies are Black Mask, Young and Dangerous, The Storm Riders, Dragon Tiger Gate and The Storm Warriors:)