Damn it, when will Martin finish TWoW?

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by nquixote, Mar 3, 2011.

1. kidsan

kidsan Registered User

My god man, that shows incredible restraint!! :eek:

2. Orbison

Orbison Making it so.

I'll look at the first post of this thread in 6 years time and think to myself "Oh, how full of mirth we were, with ADWD just around the corner..."

3. Evil Agent

Evil Agent Saturn Comes Back Around

What's funny is that the title of this thread is a joke... but it will become less and less funny as the years go by. :)

4. krm0915

krm0915 Registered User

Too true. But this thread will be deleted long before then.

5. Ornery Wyvern

Ornery Wyvern 50% Certain

Because we all know the best jokes are like a kipper stuffed under the floorboards...:D

6. Asimovking

Asimovking "Dime Store Rock"

The Winds of Winter

I looked through the threads and didn't find one about this book. Any idea when it is coming out? I will be starting A Game of Thrones (my first venture into fantasy) after I finish the current book I am reading. I have done some research on this series and it is starting to worry me that he will never finish it (he is 63 and it is taking longer and longer each book).

I read that A Dance With Dragons was originally going to be released shortly (I guess 1-2 years?) after A Feast For Crows and it ended up taking 6 years. Any word on how long The Winds of Winter will take?

7. Mithfânion

Mithfânion Lord of the Wild Hunt

No word on that. Martin is set to start writing the book at the start of 2012, presumably because there are so many other obligations for the rest of 2011 that he doesn't have time to start it. He explained in a blog post a while back what other stuff he still has to do:

http://grrm.livejournal.com/219080.html

His aim is to finish the last two books before the series is out. Realistically that gives him a year or two to write ADWD, to have it published in 2014. In that same year the 4th season of the tv show will run. I would say that that is the absolute latest the book has to be published in order for their to be a chance of book 7 being out in time as well.

Recent interviews with GRRM have shown however that is well aware of this pressure. Let's hope the success of ADWD as well as the praise for the series and everything it has created spurs him into a frantic endeavour..

8. PeterWilliam

PeterWilliam Omnibus Prime

I'm still a bit skeptical that 7 will get it done. I think its possible, but that the final two would be extraordinarily packed to get there.

9. Evil Agent

10. KatG

KatG Effulgent Staff Member

He already started Winds quite some time ago and it's filled out a bit because some parts of Dragons got moved into it. Unlike Dragon/Crow, these last two books are not about material he didn't plan to write that much about, but is more stuff he's had planned for some time. None of this guarantees that he won't run into problems or rewrite sections, but the Mereen knot is done with
    Dragons.

And Winds was included in the list of stuff he's doing. But really, why is he giving a list of the stuff he's doing at this point? He knows what that's going to do. The man has to learn to stop babbling. J.K. Rowling knew how to be quiet.

11. INeedAUserName

INeedAUserName Registered User

I really hope it doesn't take another 6 years. It would be one thing if there was a bit of resolution in ADWD, but the main plots were left on cliffhanger endings.

It's scary (for me) to think that if it takes around 6 years for the Winds of Winter, and then another 6 years or so for the seventh book. That's 12 years from now. I'll be 48 years old by the time a series is done that I started when I was just a bit past my 20th birthday ...

12. Asimovking

Lol alritey.

Edit: Thanks for the replies everyone.

P.S. I didn't even think about the possibility of there being an 8th book :p

13. Asimovking

I know two months is like 5 minutes in GRRM time, but are there any updates on his progress or anything worth noting?

I just ordered A Clash of Kings and A Storm of Swords. I'm officially hooked on this series :)

14. chris777

chris777 Registered User

Last I heard officially he said sometime in the early part of 2021.

jk

or am i?

15. Evil Agent

He's said that he's not even starting the book until the new year (2012).

16. Asimovking

Thanks. I believe he already had some of it written (like 4 chapters), but yeah.

17. Raven of SD

Raven of SD Registered User

Martin was interviewed at a Jets game saying that he sees himself working on the series for another 10 years at least. Ouch. Stolen from EndofDiscOne on GameFAQs Books and Literature.

Source

18. chris777

chris777 Registered User

To be fair. He was mostly speaking towards the TV show. They are doing each season as each book. Meaning there are 7books, so that's 7years. I don't think he was saying "it's going to take 10years to finish the next 2books".

19. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

Yeah, GRRM has said several times - somewhat over-optimistically I think - that he sees the TV series going for ten seasons due to the length and complexity of doing an adaptation of the books. However, I think pretty much everyone agrees that's rather over-optimistic, and it'll be more like 6-7 seasons, likely moving further and further away from the books as they develop.

He also says in the same interview that he wrote the first scene of AGoT fifteen years ago, when we know it was more than twenty (in the summer of 1991), so he's clearly speaking off-the-cuff and not being razor-sharp accurate ;)

20. Evil Agent