Damn it, when will Martin finish TWoW?

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by nquixote, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Revolvery

Revolvery Registered User

This is a common occurence when manga is adapted into anime, and happened, for example, in the first anime adaptation of Full Metal Alchemist.

2. DailyRich

DailyRich Damn fool idealist

It's not without precedent. True Blood has already veered pretty wildly from the books, and the Scott Pilgrim movie had a different resolution to the story than what eventually appeared in the comic, since Bryan Lee O'Malley hadn't finished the final volume in the series when the film was released.

3. Evil Agent

Evil Agent Saturn Comes Back Around

GRRM is interviewed in Rolling Stone magazine this month. He was asked how far along he is with TWOW, and he said he's not as far as he'd like to be. He's written about 200 pages of an eventual 1,500.

Let's hope he picks up the pace, or it'll be another 7 years... :(

4. chongjasmine

chongjasmine Registered User

I hope the next song of ice and fire book comes out in less than 5 years of waiting. I really enjoy the series.

5. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

The problem so far is that GRRM has not had a lot of time to work on TWoW. He had about 100 MS pages left over from ADWD but after promo work for that and the TV show, he basically had a narrow window in the New Year and then in the last couple of weeks to write new material. That he's produced 100 further MS pages in such a short space of time is good news. That he's only managed to do so because of other responsibilities is less encouraging.

If he gets a long, dedicated block of time to work on the book, I suspect we will see much more rapid progress than on ADWD (where he basically went backwards for the first two years of working on the book). The issue is when such a block of time will appear.

I'm still shooting for Christmas 2015 as the publication date, but I would not be surprised at all to have to roll this back into 2016. Now that promo work for S2 and ADWD is well and truly over, we should get a better handle on his progress rate over the next few months.

6. Philzilla

Philzilla Registered User

I think everyone here and elsewhere is pretty familiar with GRRM's progress rate.

7. KatG

KatG The Bony Hand of Death Staff Member

Again, no, they're actually not. Martin was a screenwriter on several t.v. shows. It's not at all impossible for him to make progress. But the two last books that took so long were books that originally were not supposed to exist, were then meant to link up the first trilogy to a second trilogy (which is now going to be a duology,) as one book that then had to be two books, and had numerous unusual problems to doing them. I don't expect Martin to be super fast on the last two books, but the situations are not the same.

8. Philzilla

Philzilla Registered User

Wow, wild stuff, though what I actually read was Blah, Blah, Blah, Yadda Yadda Yadda. Nothing you posted is either new or unique.

I'll rephrase my post, I believe anyone on this forum who has an interest in the writings of GRRM, are mildly familiar with the detractors and defenders arguments on why GRRM writes at a less than optimal pace.
    Better?

9. Luya Sevrein

Luya Sevrein Humble Grifter

You know when someone's trying to make a point?

But they're just kinda childish and snippy and nasty with it?

So you just kinda' avoid them?

...That is all.

10. KatG

Yes, thank you. :)

11. Asimovking

Asimovking "Dime Store Rock"

I take that 100 MS page burst as a good sign. Meaning I think he has a much better idea of what to do now after the AFFC/ADWD stuff. He is back to what he originally planned to write. Therefore everything is coming to him easier. Now it's about him relaxing and doing his other projects so he doesn't get burned out. That will be the majority of the "delay" now.

....too optimistic?

12. End Of Disc One

End Of Disc One Registered User

Yes. People have spent years saying, "okay GRRM is past the hard parts, it will be smooth sailing from here." But it never is. I long ago gave up counting on these books to come out. So if the next book does come out it will be a bonus.

13. Asimovking

Asimovking "Dime Store Rock"

I started reading book 1 in like November. So I'm new to this waiting thing. My only counter is the material in AFFC/ADWD wasn't originally planned, this was.

Will it matter? We shall see.

14. Mithfânion

Mithfânion Lord of the Wild Hunt

Presumably after September, when the summer full of cons and other events has come and gone. His schedule looks clear from Fall to April 2013. I hope for the best, and I hope for dedication and a willingness to apply his craft.

15. KatG

16. Vooloc

Vooloc Lord Of Mejik

so it looks like we will see the actual end of the series via a ****ing tv show.
    i feel like i will be cheated out of the ending this series deserves.
    i just dont understand why he has to take every opportunity to not write. this is the thing he will be remembered for, finish it and then revel in all the glory.
    another thing, why in hell dont his publishers put a stop to all his extra activities and let him just write in peace. hes a writer, so let him write.

17. PaulWhite

PaulWhite Registered User

It's his life, he can do what he wants with it. You just need to accept it. At this point I don't believe he'll ever finish it or will finish it somewhere around 2030, so from my perspective ASOIAF is done and done. And done.

And besides, there are no guarantees HBO will finish it either. When they reach AFFC/ADWD material they must be careful not to turn the adaptation into a cure of insomnia; successfully avoiding this titanic iceberg may bring the show to the end though.

18. Vooloc

Vooloc Lord Of Mejik

yea i accepted it years ago. frustration boils up once in a while.
    as for the rest of your reply lol.

the quality of the show though, i cant see it not being finished.

one thought i had which GRRM may have in mind for the show is a false ending, meaning the tv show ends as scheduled but then, surprise surprise, Martin finishes the book series with another book afterwards.
    just a thought George.

19. chris777

chris777 Registered User

You know. These "pro-martin" people...... Yeah, we don't control him. He can do what he wants. Obviously. But that doesn't mean we don't have freedom of speech to call him an a$5hol3 for doing it! I mean comon.

Vooloc: What is your source for this?

20. Evil Agent

Evil Agent Saturn Comes Back Around

You're making way too many assumptions here, with no way of knowing.

He may finish it, he may not. The HBO show may finish it, or it may not (HBO has been notorious for cancelling shows in the past, like Rome and Deadwood, and the series is going to become increasingly difficult to film as they progress).

Bottom line, no one knows what's going to happen. So why worry about it at all? Find something else to think about.