"Deep" discussion about sci-fi and real-life lessons

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ahigherway, Sep 17, 2012.

1. ahigherway

ahigherway Registered User

Hi everyone,
    I'd be curious to hear from you how you think sci-fi has affected your life. Let me give you an example:

I fell in love with Dr. Who when I discovered it by chance one day, back in about 1985. Not only did it spark my curiosity about other worlds, life-after-death (regeneration?), time-travel, etc. But I believe on a deeper level I was inspired by the creativeness of it all. The doctor was always struggling to the end, to defeat the enemy. He had a strong sense of determinism: get the job done at all costs.

He also had a playful, intellectual curiosity and willingness to learn, which is what true computer "hackers" have. See wikipedia here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_(programmer_subculture)#History

That "playful" spirit is something that has remained with me.

Can a sci-fi character be a real-life role model? I know it can certainly be true!

I'd like to write more, but I'll wait for now, to hear from you guys (and gals!) ...

brian

2. Astronaut Child

Astronaut Child New Member

The only book that I have read outside of informative purposes was the Harry Potter series (I know that's not sci-fi, but regardless). I do believe that role models don't necessarily have to be living people (or nonliving since my first was Alexander the Great). Albus Dumbledore from Harry Potter has earned a soft spot in my heart. I don't believe I have ever heard of such a person to remain untainted after so much hate and poison. It's that kind of personality that I admire.

3. ahigherway

ahigherway Registered User

Yes; sometimes I think that sci-fi is able to help us view our own (human) condition in a new light.

For example, I see how travelling to other worlds can be equated to visiting other countries, or even meeting new people. In a way, each person is a "world" to be discovered.

brian

4. D-E-M-Emrys

D-E-M-Emrys New Member

Rather than answer this as how SF/F has effected my life, I'll answer as to how the late great David Gemmell made an impact...

...he wrote heroes that were men rather than gods. Men that I aspired to be like. Cowards turned to heroes...

...and then I joined the army to chase a dream of companionship.

DAMN BOOKS!