Discounted E-Book Pricing Thread

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Erfael, Oct 17, 2011.

1. sullivan_riyria

sullivan_riyria Creator of Worlds

Orbit has put The Dragon's Path on sale again for $2.99. This also has the ARC of Levithan Wakes so you can get get two books for next to nothing.

2. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

From what I understand, the Abraham $2.99 sale is good only for today

3. PeterWilliam

PeterWilliam Omnibus Prime

Yeah, I got the Orbit email earlier today at that's what I thought it was stating.

4. Mekrath

Mekrath Registered User

Thanks. Grabbed a copy!

5. sullivan_riyria

Having watched Orbit for some time now -- I've discovered what they "say" is not always what happens. For instance Hedgewitch Queen was only supposed to be $2.99 for the first month of release but it's always been $2.99. I think in this case they've made a business decision that that price is doing well for that book.

Dragon's Path is still $2.99 right now...but there is no telling how long it will be that way. It may be that Orbit has already put in the request to return to normal pricing and it will take a while for Amazon to process it, or it may be that they are seeing good results, and have determined to continue the price break.

They put my book on sale for $4.99 and it was supposed to last 7 days but it ended up being that way for about 11 days (IIRC) again in that case I think it was a matter of processing the request.

Morale of the story - when you see the drop - snatch them right away, but if you miss the "dates" check and you might see a nice surprise.

6. Contrarius

Contrarius You talkin' to me??

7. sullivan_riyria

Blood of Elves (The Witcher) by Andrzej Sapkowski has been reduced from $7.99 o $2.99. This is the follow-up to The Last Wish

8. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Nein. It's the first novel. The Last Wish is a collection of short stories set, largely, before the first novel but I wouldn't say Blood of Elves is in anyway a follow-up.

9. Mark_P

Mark_P Registered User

Don't you think you're being a little nitpicky ;)? He didn't say it was a SEQUEL to The Last Wish...a follow-up (to me, anyways) could simply imply a subsequent work by the author. Besides, I think reading The Last Wish first would familiarize new readers with the character before delving into the novel.

10. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Yes, but it's a common misconception that The Last Wish is in any form a direct precursor to Blood of Elves. Both it and the yet-unpublished Miecz przeznaczenia come before Blood of Elves chronologically (and it introduces characters who appear later in the series), but considering it likely won't be published, it's neither here nor there.

In other words; The Last Wish is not necessary for Blood of Elves, and you should be able to read the latter without the former.

11. sullivan_riyria

Ah good to know - I was just going off the description from Amazon.

Out of curiosity. Why did you say:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  12. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

From what I've gathered, Gollancz have no interest in publishing it. I don't think it even has an official English translation.

So, even with the legal wrangling sorted out, unless Gollancz change their mind, it will not be possible to have a complete set of Witcher books in English.

13. Mark_P

Mark_P Registered User

Fair enough. I'm just a bit of an obsessed completionist when it comes to things like this, so I automatically fall into the camp of "you must read everything by the author in the order it was written". Oh well.

Anyways...on a side note, I did see that the English translation of "Time of Contempt" (originally published in 1995, the sequel to "Blood of Elves") is supposed to come out this year. According to Amazon.com, it will be available on December 27.

14. sullivan_riyria

15. sullivan_riyria

My publisher (Orbit) put another book on sale: EQUATIONS OF LIFE by Simon Morden it was the Winner of the 2012 Philip K. Dick Award

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  16. sullivan_riyria

Another price drop from Orbit: Gail Carriger's Souless is just $0.99. I'm not sure for how long it will be at that price.

17. Jaim Grymauch

Jaim Grymauch Registered User

Thanks for the links and your continuing efforts here. They are greatly appreciated.

JC

18. sullivan_riyria

Glad you find them helpful...I've also started a reddit sub for free fantasy books. It's brand new and can be found here.

19. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

Baen is publishing, The Monster Hunters by by Larry Correia, an omnibus of the first three books in that series. The hardcover will be $24 (USD) while the E-version is only $6USD. Yes, $6USD for three novels.

20. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Who else but Baen? :p