Discounted E-Book Pricing Thread

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Erfael, Oct 17, 2011.

1. DennisC

DennisC Heritage, Not Hate

This thread actually makes me sad. I feel for the authors getting a mere pittance.

2. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

Dude, it's all a marketing initiative. Give away the first for free/cheep they'll come back for more at full price.

3. DennisC

Perhaps you're right, Mr. Rob. I would be aaaangry if I were one of these authors.

4. Contrarius

Contrarius You talkin' to me??

Yeah, I was just talking with somebody about this phenomenon yesterday. It's just like drug pushers -- "psssst, little girl! Ya wanna piece of candy? First piece is only $2.99!"

In fact I just started a new-to-me mystery series yesterday, thanks to a $2.99 first installment. Now, of course, I'm hooked. Arg.

5. Seak

Seak and I like to party.

Because you would get more sales? More fans? More money?

I don't think they'd do this if it weren't working. Quoting from a fictional author: "Readers have a loyalty that cannot be matched anywhere else in the creative arts..."

6. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Why? They get paid the same regardless of whether the book is on sale or not, as far as I'm aware.

7. Seak

I think I've heard with eBooks it's different. Was it Hines that had a post about how Amazon cut down his royalties? He may have just been talking about independently publishing. With the biggies, you may get the same no matter what, but obviously I'm not the one to ask. :D

8. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

With Hines, he was talking about his self-published titles (Kitemaster, Goblin Tales) rather than his books through DAW.

9. DennisC

I can tell that its certainly a good method from what I have read above. I guess so.

At a panel at iCon (in new york at stonybrook university on long island) there was a bunch of authors talking about eBooks and their affect. For one, they unanimously complained about Amazon revising (always downward) their royalties on eBook sales. They also noted that they have no way of checking that their eBooks are not being ripped off. With a paper book or a print on demand book, you know how many are sold based on the # of copies they have left and that can be tracked. But with eBooks they are all suspicious of Amazon.

I still prefer my hard backs. BUT.... Mrs. C got a new Kindle for Mother's Day. And I tried out reading a bit of a book on it. I can see how being able to search for a term can be helpful with some of our genres (Fantasy/Horror/SciFi).

10. Seak

I've read some blogs of authors who love Amazon since you can get a better royalty rate than with traditional means - J.A. Konrath - and some authors who have been disappointed with Amazon - Jim Hines. It's definitely a hard one, because I think it can be a good thing, but like you said, they seem to be doing some back-handed swindling.

I like my Kindle for it's convenience, but otherwise, I prefer good ol' paper any day. My wife, however, is sick of our limited space being eaten up. :D

11. Psylent

Psylent Registered User

The Mongoliad is $0.99 today (May 20th) only at Amazon US. Get 'em while they're hot.

12. sullivan_riyria

sullivan_riyria Creator of Worlds

Thanks for the heads up - I'm definitely interested...but cautious because of a few things.

a) So many authors!! Interested to see if this all "pulls together" but at the same time I'm used to "one captain" of a ship.

b) Not the greatest reviews coming out (3.6 with 40 reviews in) is lower than my standard threshold.

Has anyone read this - would you recommend?

13. Whiskeyjack

Whiskeyjack sapper-in-chief

Those were my thoughts, too, Mike. Though the premise sounded interesting, I was hesitant to buy a "soup made by too many cooks"... no one cook may take sufficient interest in the quality of the final product for it to taste good. But at only 99 cents, I'll take a chance on it now. Thanks to Psylent for highlighting this Kindle deal.

14. Whiskeyjack

15. sullivan_riyria

16. Whiskeyjack

I just noticed that. I wish I had checked my email sooner and been able to post that deal earlier than 5 PM, to give others more time to consider Alison's discounted ebook. Amazon seems to adhere pretty strictly to the constraints of the term "daily" when they offer a daily deal.

EDIT: fyi, just noticed that books 2-4 of Alison's series are available for $3.99 each (a semi-deal) on Amazon. Don't know why the first book of the series now costs twice that amount (seems like backwards pricing to me).

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  17. Steven Savile

Steven Savile Egor Maniac

MoS

I just mentioned in the promotion thread, so I don't think I'm allowed to actually do links here, but a collection of mine from places like the Solaris Book of New Fantasy, Orson Scott Card's Inter Galactic Medicine Show, and Paizo's Worlds of their Own, just dropped to free for 5 days. I moved over to writing thrillers a few years back, and had a lot of success with Silver, but my roots are still fantasy and I'm very fond of these stories...

18. sullivan_riyria

Noticed that Orbit has dropped the price of K.J. Parker's The Hammer to $2.99. Not sure how long it will be "on sale."

19. Carlyle Clark

Carlyle Clark Registered User

Thanks, Michael. Just grabbed it. I loved The Folding Knife and like The Company so I'm looking forward to reading this one.

20. DennisC

They are one of my favourite publishers.