Do you write on your phone?

Discussion in 'Writing' started by kongming, Oct 10, 2012.

?

Do you use you write fiction on your phone?

1. yes

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. no

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. kongming

kongming www.voxnewman.com

I got a Samsung Galaxy Note in March and I love it. This is the only time I've said this about a phone (ummm phablet).

Anyone else feel this way?

I've written approximately 40 pages of a new novel on here and previously another 40 pages and a previous novel at 150 pages were written on a netbook and my current experience with the phone is way better.

Granted there are some drawbacks. For instance I'll have to edit on a desktop but that was true of the netbook too. Also this very website isn't very phone friendly. Posting here might result in poor grammar because I can't scroll left or right when "inside" this "box"

Anyway, I'd love to hear about other experiences in regards to writing on alternative devices.

I'll also recommend the apps I currently use for writing and would like to hear about others:

Polaris office (with my stylus and handwriting recognition)
    Mindjet (For planning out my series)
    Pocket (because I do tonnes of research and wikipedia has a max number of saved pages while pocket does not)

2. Igor

Igor Ze vriter

That, my friend, is blasphemy. :)
    I meant the phone part, not a keyboard-enabled device like a netbook, so apologies for the jibe.
    Igor

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  3. RedMage

RedMage There is no tomorrow

I'm curious to know what you disliked about your netbook that made you do your editing on your desktop. I use a netbook for all my writing. True, with only 1G of memory it has only 1/4 the power of most larger laptops and desktops. However, it has the same sized harddrive so I'm not pulling stuff off and putting other stuff on when I switch between projects. Frankly, I love my netbook! It's small size makes for easy transport and storage in my tiny locker at work. A full laptop might fit, but barely. With my netbook I have lots of room leftover and I'm not worried about putting something heavy on top of its screen.

I did find it difficult for the first few months as I had trouble with playing music or watching youtube videos. But eventually I learned that those things are not what the netbook was built for. If a person tries to do that and then doesn't like it, well, then they are using the wrong product. However, that still doesn't answer my question regarding your need to edit on another device. What software do you use? I use MS Word 2007. Does everything I need it to.

4. Solaar

Solaar The Good

I have Evernote on my iPhone which is a great piece of note-keeping/word-processing kit. I think it was very cheap as well...

Solaar
    and the elephant app

5. G.L. Lathian

G.L. Lathian G.L. Lathian

Now that's incredible. I don't have the patience to write on my phone, nor would I ever find it appropriate! I need to be in a distraction free environment. That means I always have the time to write on the computer. Kudos to those that can do it otherwise!

6. PeteMC

PeteMC @PeteMC666

I used to have an HP iPAQ with a full slide-out QWERTY keyboard and MS Word Mobile on it which was absolutely superb for writing in coffee shops, taxis, on the train etc. I can't get on with typing on a touchscreen though.

7. kongming

I discovered that this website really is not friendly to smartphones (even phablets) at all, so I had to wait until I was home to reply.

Blasphemy? :p

I really do prefer the phone to my netbook.

What I don't like about the netbook:
    Trackpad instead of mouse (the phone has a stylus which is way better)
    It only had an old version of Open Office so the files could only save up to word 2007
    It didn't fit in a pocket (and really needed a table of some sort to write on, the phone can go anywhere)
    Its battery life was only an hour (the phone gets a good 5 hours of writing)

Haven't used evernote. I don't know much about it. I use Polaris Office, Mindjet and Pocket (mostly for wikipedia)

I find it's just like writing with paper and pen, but way more convenient because I don't have to type it all out again (something I'd be loath to do).

I was never the type to stick with old technology (like many writers who have that old typewriter [I think I hate typewriters]). I like word processors and now I have a truly mobile one.

That would have been something I'd have considered when it first came out, but I held back because I didn't feel keyboards on any type of phone would be worth writing on. The stylus with my phone is what clinched the deal.

8. N. E. White

N. E. White tmso Staff Member

My fingers are too fat for my iPhone screen. Maybe if I had a bigger screen and a touch-keyboard with buttons the size of grapes, then, yeah, I might use my phone to write. Maybe. Gotta use whatever works for you. If writing on the phone gets your projects finished, then more power to ya!

9. PeteMC

PeteMC @PeteMC666

The iPAQ was brilliant, I could pretty much touch-type on that thing! I kept it till it literally fell apart, and I still miss it (for writing – sadly it was utter carp as a phone which is probably why we don’t make them any more!)

10. kongming

Or a phone with a stylus?

11. kongming

I feel your pain ;)

12. Mfenger

Mfenger New Member

I don't have a smart phone. Just a landline. I dumped my cell phone a couple of years back and I've never regretted it. If I'm out and I need to write something it goes in my moleskine.

13. kongming

Ahh fair enough. I need to write away from home a lot and in places where I can't use a laptop or netbook. Since I'm working on a 100k+ word document I couldn't carry a moleskin that big, nor would I want to retype it all :p

Also I wouldn't want to have to go out and kill that many moles haha

14. N. E. White

N. E. White tmso Staff Member

Ah, I didn't realize you had a stylus with that baby. Now that might tempt me. How big is the screen?

15. kongming

5.3 in. About the size of a paperback novel. In addition, it has handwriting recognition software.

16. PeteMC

PeteMC @PeteMC666

Has that got better than it used to be? I haven't attempted to use handwriting recognition for about five years, but last time I did it certainly couldn't read my writing. Admittedly, sometimes I can't read my writing...

17. kongming

I think it's pretty good. It's about as fast as my typing it on an actual keyboard, certainly faster than typing it on a mobile keyboard and it flows better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88gVMd-JZ14

In that example, they write and entire paragraph and then format it, I usually just go with one or two words at a time as that's the default in the wordprocessor.

18. SilentDan

SilentDan Registered User

Yes, but only when I have nothing else to write on/with, which is rare as I take my laptop/ipad with me or a notepad and pen.

19. R.J.

R.J. Is Winter Coming?

I write notes, ideas, bits of scenes on the Samsung Galaxy S2.

20. andrewscott

andrewscott Registered User

Hi everyone, I have been lurking awhile and finally registered an account to reply here. Great topic, since I have recently started writing again and have been obsessing over the decision between a phone, tablet, phablet, netbook, etc. for a couple weeks now. I am hoping to write a novel eventually, but I need to figure out a way to make use of all the spare time I have, since there is so little of it. Thus I am trying some things out at the moment to see which one will be most useful for writing on the go. The choices seem to be between a 7" netbook, a word-processing keyboard called the Neo, a LiveScribe Pulse SmartPen, a bluetooth keyboard for my phone, and the classic notebook and pen. The real litmus test is going to be can I do any serious writing while spending a couple hours out of the house in a coffee shop. Since I have an infant son, the coffee shop will be quieter than the house!

The item I am currently trying out is a 7" netbook. The netbook has these pros: light weight, long battery life, can jump on the internet when needed, and stores a good amount of writing since you can drop in an SD card or USB stick. It has these cons: cramped keyboard with punctuation keys moved around so I keep getting interrupted as I type to figure out why I accidentally hit the enter key when I wanted an apostrophe; long boot time so if I have a good idea it takes awhile to get there; and the fact that typing in general makes me personally sit there and fiddle with the construction of each sentence, since it is so easy, which interrupts my flow.

But this makes me consider adding a Samsung Note to my list of things to try, because I did not realize that the handwriting recognition software was this good now. Kongming, a question I have is does it recognize cursive very well? I generally write in cursive when writing by hand, but in the video you linked the person was printing.