Doctor Who Season 6: SPOILERS!

Discussion in 'Other Media (TV/Film, Comics & Games)' started by Betthany85, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Hobbit

Hobbit Administrator Staff Member

Can't disagree with that, Wulfa: even agree about the Graham Norton 'thing'.

For the first time ever, I've emailed the BBC complaint Department about how unhappy I was.

You may feel you wish to also: http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/homepage/

LATER EDIT: Not sure if this will go abroad, but here's the clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq1rq7sKPdI

And it really seems to have annoyed people big time. To quote Simon Pegg on Twitter:

As to the programme itself:

Much much more like it. Response from the Hobbit household - "It's getting darker, isn't it?"

YES. :)

Mark

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  2. Wulfa_Jones

Wulfa_Jones Gentleman and Scholar

Yeah I did the same. I've never complained the the BBC and don't complain in general, but it was just so misjudged that I couldn't let it pass.

Some spoiler-ish stuff

My only negative comment was that it did feel a little bit like Moffat's Greatest Hits. All it was missing was Sally Sparrow. We had the Weeping Angels, River Song and the disembodied voice (as used in Silence in the Library). All sounds good and is, the negative point being that it feel a little bit of a rehash - especially the voice thing.

I did love River Song's escape from the Byzantium, very 25th Century James Bond. Moffat clearly has long term plans for her, but they will clearly not be solved within this Doctor's lifespan. I liked the fact her note book/diary looked like the TARDIS as well.

I also like how the crack in time and space is appearing. I thought I noticed it in the video of the Angel during this episode and the trailer for next week shows it being a major part of the story. The story arcs under RTD, was for once, were far too subtle. You'd get the occasionally throwaway reference or the eagle eyed viewer would notice something, but nothing would really happen until the last 4 episodes.

Also, on another note, this episode looked amazing. The Byzantium design was pretty retro - Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers style. Location shooting also helps a lot! You can always tell a studio even if we have moved on from the days of Star Trek always using the same set, but with different coloured polystyrene rocks.

Matt Smith is making an excellent Doctor. His youth is forgotten about and while he does occasionally do a bit of a Tennant impression, he is very much a very different Doctor. Amy Pond is the most fanciable assistant so far.

So yeah, roll on next Saturday!

3. Luke_B

Luke_B Diamond Dog Staff Member

The Beast Below just aired in Australia. I found it very satisfying. A great blend of traditional Doctor Who elements with that Moffat style. Getting more and more impressed with the physicality Smith brings to the role. Not just his athletic leaping and running, but his little mannerisms like finger tapping and eyebrow wiggles. I'm becoming more and more smitten with Amy. The story was very good, and the penultimate scene was beautifully done...

The idea the Star Whale being misunderstood and tortured from so long was very sad. And Matt Smith played the Doctor's turmoil perfectly.

...as was the final scene. Moffat has a great ability to create pathos without coming off as overly mawkish or sentimental. I hope they can keep up this quality.

4. Susan Boulton

Susan Boulton Edited for submission

5. Hobbit

LOL. Thanks Hol. Not something I normally do. By the sounds of things, though, I wasn't the only person who felt the need to say something. I'm usually a defender of the BBC, but was this insensitive and obtrusive.

Wonder if it appear again next week?

Mark

6. Orbison

Orbison Making it so.

I haven't seen this latest episode yet, but I've seen the first three.

The first two were excellent, and I love the new cast. The episodes brought fresh ideas to the show - particularly the second episode with the Star Whale. The third episode was tripe and squeezed in only to satisfy that copyright.

7. Luke_B

Luke_B Diamond Dog Staff Member

Shame to hear that. I was looking forward to next week's episode - Churchill and Daleks and written by Mark Gatiss. It sounds like all the right ingredients. Fingers crossed that I enjoy it more than others.

8. Orbison

Orbison Making it so.

It did have one redeeming quality - the Scottish scientist.

Watch out for the dismal portrayal of Churchill! ;)

9. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

That guy was, weirdly, too fat to be Churchill.

10. Cadley

Cadley Registered User

I thought Churchill was very good, although the voice was slightly off.

I was watching on BBC HD and didn't get the Graham Norton pop-up, thank God. I think I would've probably thrown something at the telly!

11. Orbison

Orbison Making it so.

And he was too happy to be Churchill.

12. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Well, I just watched Episode... Is it four? Yeah, probably. The Weeping Angels one.

I don't like that enemy, truth be told. I find them boring and about as interesting as, well, a rock. But I suppose it was a good episode, although 30 minutes in nothing had really happened. I didn't see what next week's episode is, though, so maybe it's a continuation or something?

13. Orbison

Orbison Making it so.

I just watched it too. It seems next week will be a follow-on, or at least I hope. I much preferred it to the Churchill episode.

The whole thing with Bob on the walkie-talkie was actually pretty scary.

14. Hobbit

Just so you know:

Mark

15. DailyRich

DailyRich Damn fool idealist

This most recent episode ended on such an obvious cliffhanger, how are you surprised next week is the continuation?

16. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

I was more confused by the lack of "Part 1" or something, which they generally use to show it's a multi-part episode.
    It'd certainly explain why it felt so slow, but oddly I'm looking forward to next week's episode.

Did anyone else think that a little bit of banter has left it open for Doctor/River Song episodes in the future? I'm wondering if Alex Kingston will do a Catherine Tate and do the odd companion stint/episode

17. Erfael

Erfael Lemurs!!! Staff Member

A little bit of banter? It seems like everything they've done with River since she first showed up almost two years ago has been aiming at future episodes...little bit of banter makes it sound subtle. They're outright screaming it.

18. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

I've not seen her before in it.

19. Erfael

Erfael Lemurs!!! Staff Member

Check out Silence in the Library and Forests of the Dead, Moffat's two-parter from Series 4. Also, if you haven't seen it, you may want to check out Blink, his standalone from Series 3 where the angels are introduced...though now that you've seen the angels that may lose a little of its impact. I still find it to be one of the best episodes of anything out there.

While you're on a Moffat spree, though it's not related to recent episodes, you may as well check out Girl in the Fireplace, which is also an excellent example of short-form SF in recent years.

20. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

I watched everything after Season 2 on/off. I think I watched Blink, which would explain why I'm not a huge fan of that particular enemy.

Won't have seen SitL or FotD though, so will have to wait for either TV repeats or a cheap DVD.