Doctor Who Season 6: SPOILERS!

Discussion in 'Other Media (TV/Film, Comics & Games)' started by Betthany85, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Series 6 Episode 10/Series 6.5 Episode 3
    Huh. I think it was an episode with a nice amount of potential, but it feels like nothing happened until the last 10-20 minutes, and then it went into overdrive. It was such a waste of the budget on what amounted to an emotional piece.

That said, the last half was good. It was very interesting to spin things that way, and it worked fairly well. The 'enemies' were well thought out, and it was good that they weren't written to heal all (Unlike the feline-esque nurses/sisters from Tennant-era 'Who) and would actually kill Rory or Amy if they were in contact with them. The removal of the Doctor to a near-back seat role was also fairly good as it shows that he can't solve everything.

The big bit, of course, was Rory's choice. I personally felt any debate about the issue was completely pointless and served to be filler material (Does Rory go for the oddly alive and sane, but badly made-up and angry Old Amy, or does he save the 'Young' Amy like the Doctor was saying?). Whilst it was well executed and quite emotional, it seemed to me to be a very easy choice to make.

Hardly a great episode in most ways, though. The visuals were huge and completely pointless, the soundtrack seemed mostly pieces from Series 5, and the choreography for Amy with those weapons was absolutely abysmal. If she'd been fighting like that for 30+ years, her wrists would be in no fighting condition at all. Her clothes also seemed to be in very good condition for being so old and well-worn. Amy seemed to be out for ages after being touched by the weird robot, but Rory was up in seconds. Whoopsie.

I think that episode itself shows that Amy and Rory won't be in it much longer. I think the emotional toll it'd be taking on Rory alone (Dying, saving Amy billions of time, seeing her turn old, yadda yadda) would mean he's close to breaking point. Amy herself would also be fairly stressed and worn thin, so I really think they're going to cut them both soon. As fun as having two companions has been, I think it's affecting the balance of the show and leading us into the same situations again and again and again.

2. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

I shall wear a bow tie and mince around rather oddly for the review of that episode.

Well! I think I was quite right last week with my prediction. As I thought, the Doctor is seeing that it's way too much for Rory and Amy and that taking them around endangers them a lot more than he ever intended. The way he basically just cut them off was very well done, I felt, and it showed that he's realising just how dangerous he is to other people, not that it'll stop him getting another companion.

As for the actual episode, it was well done and a very good twist on the minotaur myth. Wert pointed out on Twitter that it was a reused monster, but to many people I'm sure it's something new (As it was to me) or at least refreshing. I wasn't sure about its death, though. Was it dying anyway and the episode's events were basically an act of desperation, or did the Doctor shattering Amy's faith effectively kill the monster?

The acting was pretty top notch. The lady who played Rita was very good, the main trifecta worked as well as usual, and that boy was mostly good. I felt David Walliams was just David Walliams in a mask, though, so I didn't think much of his performance (Not that I ever do). As a group they all worked, however, so that helped the episode.

Overall I felt it was the strongest episode this half-series, and probably one of the stronger ones of series six.

As for next week? Oh boy, James Corden. What grave sin have I committed this time? Aside from that... thing, it looks like next week's episode might be good. The Doctor is flying solo again, and it looks like it might be a fairly typical reboot episode in that things will go boom, people will run and stuff will be "exciting".

Two more to go, ladies and gentlealiens. Two more.

3. Hobbit

Hobbit Administrator Staff Member

It was mentioned as a variant of the Horns of Nimon monster, one from the Tom Baker series.

Young Hobbit thought this was another better one, though he misses the Daleks.

James Cordin? Yawn..... Gavin and Stacey meet the Cybermen?

Mark

4. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Here's an interesting aside ahead of Saturday's episode. Is Doctor Who too complicated?

I'm personally on the side of yes, but in the way that it's a complete mess and really needs tidying up. Too many pointless, convoluted stories. Too much run up with too little reward. Too much emphasis on overly expensive CGI backdrops and too little decent plotting. The best episodes for me have been the ones most disconnected from the overarching plotlines, i.e. Neil Gaiman's episode as a prime example. That was the single best episode of this series so far, followed by the closing episode to the first half of the series (A Good Man Goes to War), at least until it went and turned River Song into Amy & Rory's child.

I really want this Silence/River Song/Doctor Is Gonna Die Lol plotline rubbish to end. Why did they go and make River the daughter of Amy and Rory? Whyyyyy? And not to mention that ridiculous younger not-quite-River in that abysmal series re-opener. The Doctor clearly doesn't actually die because, well, he's the Doctor. The Silence is something I don't care about, and something that seems to have half been forgotten, and it's just getting dull now.

The writers and production team really need to get things in order. It's just getting to darned silly.

5. Luke_B

Luke_B Diamond Dog Staff Member

We are only up to episode 11 in Oz so I'm being careful to avoid spoilers in this thread. (I know the thread is clearly marked spoilers, but maybe for those of us who are behind, spoiler tags can be used?) I'm still clearly going against the curve here, but I'm really enjoying part 2 of Season 6 - not a weak episode yet in my opinion, and one of the best episodes I've ever seen with "The Girl Who Waited". Unlike the majority of people here, I'm an Amy Pond fan and that episode hit all the right buttons for me with its humour, pathos and action. "Night Terrors" was another very strong Mark Gatiss episode and a poignant story about acceptance and a parent's love. "Let's Kill Hitler" was lots of fun, but probably me least favourite episode of part 2 so far. Last night's episode "The God Complex" had an interesting premise and moved the overall story arc in a nice direction. The Minotaur was pretty kick-arse too; loved the detail on the scar runes over his skin. So, yeah, I'm unashamedly more enthusiastic than the rest of you.

6. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Hm... I'm tempted to say a non-spoiler thread should probably be knocked up in that case. This one is clearly marked for spoilers, and we've got 18 months' worth of discussion with spoiler-containing posts (Although some people have used tags), so it would be a fairly big shake up for the topic.

I'd say make a non-spoiler one :)

7. Luke_B

I have a feeling I'd be the only one posting in it. I think I'll just have to be careful about where I let my eyes roam on this thread. Fortunately you usually bold the episode your posting about at the top of your post.

8. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Well, as this series is almost over with one more episode to go, I think it'd certainly be something to keep in mind for series 7 next year. As you implied, it's only fair to have a non-spoiler thread for those who are behind with their viewing, whether it's due to missing an episode or having a broadcaster that's a week or two behind.

Edit:
    Series 6 Episode 12/Series 6.5 Episode 5 - Closing Time
    Got to admit I was not looking forward to this episode. I'm not a fan of James Corden at all as I think he's a bit of an insufferable oaf, but I thought he was actually pretty good in what turned out, to me, to be one of the strongest episodes this series.

It was quite a light hearted episode, despite the deeper messages, and it was filled with some very good jokes, which Matt Smith carried off brilliantly. I think this episode also shows how much Rory and Amy dragged it down, especially in the later stages. Smith was free to mince around a bit more and Corden made a refreshing change, and you could feel it in the episode. I found it quite funny that the Doctor was, once again, mistaken as being gay (Hasn't that happened a few times now?) and he seemed to really work that angle well, although I think the "X is gay" device really needs to be dropped. Three times in one half-series (Rory in Let's Kill Hitler, the Doctor and Craig in this one) is a bit much, plus it's a fairly tired joke as it is.

The plotting wasn't bad, I suppose, but I found the 'solution' to be a little wobbly and I think Cybermen-in-a-ship-underground should probably be laid to rest now. That said, it felt as if the Cybermen plot was just another catalyst, and that the 'true' story was the Doctor coming to terms with his impending death along with the set up for the next episode, the season finale, as well as the development for Craig and Alfie. The set up worked well as it brought things full circle and you know roughly where you're going to stand with what happens.

Gripes: The Doctor getting a job. Huh. Did he go back in time to get it, or did he get it before he went to Craig's house? Judging by the other staff members and their reactions to him, it seems as if he'd been there a while. Also, why did no-one notice that he wandered out of the store when he was supposed to be working, nor when he tore down the signs for the lift?
    Craig as a parent. Uh... Kiddo, you don't run around dangerous places with a baby. It's not parental instincts, it's common flipping sense.
    Disappearing people. They got forgotten about. That seems a bit odd, as usually the Doctor avenges them or something like that.

Next episode teaser: Oh dear. It looks as if it might be a Let's Kill Hitler. We'll see, though. Only six days to go!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  9. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Series Finale
    Pfffft. I want my time back.

10. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Well, the Christmas special broadcast yesterday but I got around to watching it today. I'll try not to spoil it too much.

Christmas Special
    Aside from that child actor (the boy), who probably couldn't have acted any less than he did (sounds harsh, I guess...), I thought it was a really enjoyable episode that really, really widdled over the last series. I think the absence of Rory & Amy really showed how much stronger the show can be. I also found it to be quite an emotional episode, with the last quarter or so making me a little sad.

I know someone on my Twitter feed didn't seem impressed with it, saying some things about how it was a bit patronising in its message, but conversely I thought it was a celebration of life - and for many species on this planet, that revolves around the woman, and as such it was perhaps a celebration of women.

Oh, and I didn't realise Bill Bailey was such a good actor, either.

11. Luke_B

A long way short of last year's Christmas special, for me. It started promisingly; the spacesuit scenes were quite humurous. But the ideas driving the story were pretty silly even by Doctor Who's standards and parts of the episode were way too earnest, even for a Christmas special. It was saved for me by some of the funnier parts, like Madge's run in with the three soldiers (even if it felt a pit tacked on), and by the occasional glimpse of real heart under all the flaws.

12. Luya Sevrein

Luya Sevrein Humble Grifter

Somebody explain to me what the current Mrs. Blah and her children are going to do? Because, I mean, if he was never declared dead, they would have never moved, she would have never called for the Doctor, hence paradox. But, cutting all that short with 'It's all timey-whimey' and time streams and everything... It wouldn't take the man weeks to cross the Channel by Aircraft, so they must've landed days, weeks, a month even? in the past.

So... Does the Doctor just go kill the current lot or something? :p

As for the last Christmas Specail's paradoxical nature, don't even- I can't even.

13. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Just a heads up. Series 6 is being repeated now on BBC Three, I think, but...

25th August - Series 7 Starts. Judging by Wonkipedia it'll run for about five episodes, then break, then we have the Christmas special where *cough* happens, and then it returns in early 2013 for the last 2/3 (roughly) of the series.

14. Hobbit

Hobbit Administrator Staff Member

Better start thinking about setting up that Season 7 thread soon, I guess.

August is a weird time to start: most in the UK are off doing holiday stuff - but that days ties up with a Bank Holiday weekend, so I suppose that might make sense.

Mark

15. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Plus it's right in the middle of the Olympics, too.

Very odd timing by the Beeb there, especially with the gap of almost three months between the first part of S7 and the Christmas episode.