Doctor Who Series 7 (Spoilers when broadcasting)

Discussion in 'Other Media (TV/Film, Comics & Games)' started by Loerwyn, Aug 4, 2012.

1. sink_plunger

sink_plunger Reader-Writer-Podcaster

For those that want it, you can find a spoiler-free preview of this Saturday's episode, 'Dinosaurs on a Spaceship', by clicking here.

It doesn't bode well, frankly.

2. symbolhunter

symbolhunter Science-Fantasy Zealot

This episode gets quite different reactions from viewers. Lots of people thought Asylum of the Daleks was only average or marginally good and had some quite strong reasons for thinking so. I'm a big fan of Matt Smith and Stephen Moffat. So perhaps I tend to be biased in favour of the new season's first episode.

That admission made, I veey much enjoyed Asylum of the Daleks. {IMO}There are some amazing sequences in this very original entry. One that I really liked was the moment when Amy--entering the Dalek mindset and perception watches the figures in a room--including a pirouetting ballerina. She then returns to human perception and sees them as they really are. But does she? Which is the reality? Is reality configured entirely by perception?

Another feature of the episode is the constant focussing on questions, answers, and memory. I really admired the way in which the visuals foreshadowed crucial moments in the plot. Above all, Moffat brilliantly prepares us for the wonderful final twist. And when I say that, of course it isn't just that Oswin is a Dalek--though Moffat really does play fair with the viewer and a great deal of the pleasure of the episode comes from watching how he does this--it is the way the entire thematic use of questions, answers, reality and perception comes to a brilliant climax with her question to us . . . Remember . . . ?

I ran across this link to a great minisode prequel to Asylum of the Daleks. Explains why we see the doc on Skaro in the first place….

http://www.kasterborous.com/2012/09/the-other-asylum-of-the-daleks-prequel/

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  3. Priestvyrce

Priestvyrce Registered as What?

More of a trailer than a prequel, still it wa pretty neat.

4. Hobbit

Hobbit Administrator Staff Member

Much happier with that one, though rather bonkers, and in no way to be seen as serious.

Kids will be in arms about
    the death of the triceratops
    , though, weirdly, at the same time Pond and the hunter are attempting genocide of another sort - but it is only tranquilizers, kids, so that's OK...

Not new ideas but a lot going on.

And some misfires: camp robots (for the kids), some dodgy dialogue.

Must have been a slow day at the Harry Potter casting agency.... ;) but I quite liked the support (with the exception of the Peep Show bickering robots...)

8/10

5. JunkMonkey

JunkMonkey Registered User

Which is about twice what I would have given it. I don't think I'd bother If it wasn't for my kids' insistence that I watch it with them and the fact that the BBC (quite wisely) pander to the middle-aged men in the audience by stuffing the screen* full of ethnically diverse female crumpet. Tonight we had La Pond (wide angle lenses not good for Karen G), Queen Nefertitti, in a low cut booby lifting dress** and a rather yummy Indian woman in uniform.

* Or at least those few spaces not not occupied by Matt Smith's increasingly annoying buffoonery / I'll turn suddenly serious with a wee bitty dangerous frown / buffoonery act.

**I was very dubious about the dress' collar which from the back looked like a badly drawn together net curtain.

6. Hobbit

It surprised me too, JM. My thinking was that it was better than the Daleks last week, and I gave that 6 1/2.

And better than most episodes I can think of of the Matt Smith series. There's still a lot wrong: but compared with the other episodes I've seen, better.

Compared with older episodes I've seen though: not in the same league. But I am trying to see it from the perspective of modern (younger) audiences...

M.

7. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

There were some funny little moments in it ("What kind of man doesn't carry a trowel?"), and some grating moments ("I don't take orders from a woman" - but you do from an eccentric alien? You hardly looked like you were taking charge, too. Oh, and then the willy joke later on...). Good to see The Late Lord Walder Frey/the Gardener in this, though. He could probably out-act everyone put together. Thought the robots were okay but probably better suited to a comedy series like H2G2, Red Dwarf or something. Their tone didn't quite fit in this episode, but they were no worse than other things that have happened.

And... those robots? Stormtrooper syndrome or what? And the resolution (R.E. the piloting) towards the end was just so forced that it was unbelievable.

But Amy's pronunciation? Si-LOO-rians? I thought it was Si-LUR-ians. She looked okay on that lens, not sure what JM meant (still uber-jealous of her).

Gotta say I'm siding with JM on this one, though. Smith's acting is just *censored* this series.

I'd go between Hobbit and JM and say it's probably a 6/7 out of 10. It wasn't particularly terrible but it wasn't hugely great.

8. Chuffalump

Chuffalump A chuffing heffalump

I thought it was far, far better than the first one. No. 1 felt like a disorganised mess and I guessed that Oswin wasn't what she seemed five minutes after her first appearance. No. 2 started out a bit of a mess with the rapid gathering of Nerfetiti and what'shisface the Quatermain character. After that, I enjoyed it all (ok, ok, apart from the robot squabbling).

I thought the humour was pretty good and I've always liked Matt Smith's Dr Who who reminds me of the lighter hearted original doctors. Amy Pond is delectable...... if they could just get her into a Leela costume........:eek:

9. Inconnu

Inconnu Registered User

The show looks better than it ever has....but the plots are terrible. I've watched since the Pertwee years. And some of them were really bad.

There was so much wrong with the Asylum episode and then we get dinosaurs, and the Doctor is amazed..WHY??!?! Has Moffat forgotten the Doctor has a time machine and can go look at dinosaurs when ever the he!! he feels like?

I watch this show with my nephews (11,14) and they really liked Eccleston (dvds)((they were shocked when he regenerated!), hated Tennant more as the series went on and then loved Smith, but haven't like either of these first two episodes. They both thought the triceratops would get hurt or killed and weren't surprised.

And is it me or is Karen Gillan mailing it in? She looked completely disinterested in the Asylum and little better in the dinosaurs.

10. JunkMonkey

She wasn't exactly given a lot to do though was she? Apart from the "I can't have kids I had to give you up!" moment in the first episode it's all been a bit "Yes, doctor", "No doctor".

11. Lazerus

Lazerus Way Too Human

I actually enjoyed both episodes, however it seems to me the "atmosphere" of the show has changed.

The Dr. is acting even more looney than usual with spurts of random genious every now and then. It also seems as if we're being primed for Amy's departure. And the dialogue is extremely fast, too fast for me sometimes.

And yes, Amy is definately a serious crumpet. For me, the thing about Karen (as Amy) is that she's not glamorous or extremely beautiful, but that she's so damn cute. I watch the show for the Dr. and the story, but Amy/Karen is a nice treat.

12. JunkMonkey

One of my possible claims to fame is that I may well have acted in front of Ms Gillan. I was certainly doing Theatre in Education work when she was at school and one of the schools on our regular tour was hers...

13. sink_plunger

I bumped into her in Cardiff a few years ago, when she was filming Doctor Who on the university campus. Not as Amy Pond though - she was one of the handmaidens in "The Fires of Pompeii". She was outside the Temple of Peace, smoking like a chimney. Even under all that makeup, she looked stunning.

A quick word on ‘Dinosaurs on a Spaceship’ – it’s hardly the show’s best episode, but it was surprisingly good for a Chibnall script. Despite the wafer thin characters and the miscast voice talents (in the form of Mitchell and Webb), it had a scope and energy that I enjoyed. And it made narrative sense, which is more than can be said for ‘Asylum of the Daleks’! But…

…was the script editor asleep at the wheel this week? The golf ball joke was cheap and crass, but that line about ‘breaking in’ Nefertitti should never have made it to the screen. Very jarring indeed, and hardly suitable for a primetime family audience. (Especially one skewed at kids, as this presumably was).

This also seems to have stirred up the hot topic of gender politics throughout the episode as a whole (specifically the treatment of Riddell, the great white hunter, and his treatment of the show's female characters). I can’t say I was overly troubled by this. Riddell is drawn in extremely broad strokes and is clearly just there to shoot at dinosaurs. In fact, I was just left with the impression that Chibnall forgot about him, until the Raptor attack at the end. Ho hum.

For those of you who might be interested, there's a cracking review of the episode here.

14. Hobbit

He's also meant to be a (cliched) big game hunter from the 1920's, with the social and cultural values to match. As you say, SP, broad stereotypes all around.

Mark

15. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

But that doesn't excuse some of the lines used in the show, nor his behaviour.

As I pointed out, he moaned about Nefertiti taking the lead but hardly looked like he was trying to replace her. His behaviour and his attitude did not match up.

16. JunkMonkey

I agree with you, Loer. It's not that I'm against cheap innuendo. I'm all for cheap innuendo but was pretty rubbish innuendo. I wouldn't have even attempted to get lines like that into the village panto.

Wait a minute! She smokes? I've just gone off her.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  17. Lazerus

Lazerus Way Too Human

Actually, as Amy implied, they were flirting. That's what I was thinking before Amy told them to stop. They both reminded me of two schoolyard kids teasing each other because they have a crush on each other.

Although, I won't say it was done well.

I will also add that there were some things said in this episode that surprised me. I just didn't expect them in a Dr. Who episode.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  18. Archee

Archee New Member

I don't watch this series now. I had watched series 6,which I don't felt interested to watch thats why I don't watch it. But I love the way Doctor perform.

Like me on Facebook @ TvShowServers

19. sink_plunger

I'm afraid so, JunkMonkey. It's hard to maintain a figure like that without a little help.

Actually, I think Arthur Darvill smokes as well. Not sure about Matt Smith though.

20. JunkMonkey

Don't care. I don't fancy them. :D