Doctor Who Series 7 (Spoilers when broadcasting)

Discussion in 'Other Media (TV/Film, Comics & Games)' started by Loerwyn, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

I would think The 'Obbit has been a bit busy to watch it, or might be formulating his thoughts. Doubt it's just us watching it though, JM.

2. Hobbit

Hobbit Administrator Staff Member

LOL. Both. Youngest Hobbit not able to see it until today, and I said I'd watch it with him.

Can't say I disagree much with what's been said already. Agree about the misplaced 'hilarity' - doesn't work. Youngest Hob liked the cameos. The 45 minute plot doesn't help the development - everything conveniently resolved in 45 minutes means that the bad guy seems pretty rubbish.

All the moaning about Chris Chibnall seems to be misplaced, IMO: it's not perfect, but it is better than a lot of what has gone before. Mind you even the Toby What's-is-face episode last week was better than what I've seen of him before, both in DW and Being Human.

I like Rory's Dad, but keep expecting him to throw out lines from The Fast Show. (again, shows age, JM!)

The Weeping Angels are the latest DW equivalent of Star Trek's Borg: nice idea at first, but vastly overused. Doesn't bode well for next week. Presumably that means a Moffatt episode. Can't believe I said when he started that he 'was worth trusting'. Generally has been a major disappointment, which I think is as a consequence of juggling too many plates at once - including Sherlock, of course.

So far this season's been OK (all four episodes of it!), but a long way off outstanding. Mind you, as I said before, I'm having to re-evaluate my view to fit with what seems to be expected in TV generally. Might even try Merlin again, which i gave up on two series ago....

Mark

3. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I totally didn't realise it was him even though I've seen some sketches from The Fast Show.

4. JunkMonkey

JunkMonkey Registered User

5. Chuffalump

Chuffalump A chuffing heffalump

I quite enjoyed that episode. I may be in the minority but I like the Angels too. The tension of keeping your eyes on them to 'collapse the probabilities', or whatever, reminds me of the feeling of suspense I got when I was young and watching the original series. Unfortunately they don't always remember and conveniently the Angels still don't move.

Overall, much better than the 'boxes' episode with it's crappy anticlimactic ending.

6. JunkMonkey

Twelve or so hours later the penny drops. River Song meant she would write the book and send it to 1930s (post weeping angeled) Amy to write the afterword.

I think if I had been the writer/script editor I would have made plain the book was first published in 1938 not just set in 1938.

And I agree with chuff. Better than the boxes. I had a wee frisson or two. My ten year old is deliciously frightened by the Angels and kept up a running 'don't blink', 'look behind you', and when Rory was in the cellar, 'Set fire to something, you idiot!' commentary whenever they were on screen.

The Statue of Liberty bit was just rubbish though.

7. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Like JM, I think the Statue of Liberty bit (at the start, anyway) was a bit naff.

But I really think Chuff got it on the money, so many scenes had people looking away from the angels that the whole "Don't Blink" aspect just kinda sucks.

The falling scene was rubbish. It ruined the moment completely, and that whole River-is-Amy's-Mum storyline just still takes away from... things. And I think Smith's gurning and flailing kinda sucked at the end.

Note: Wow, Mike McShane has lost a LOT of weight.

Also, noticed Alex Kingston was... uh... showing her statues a lot. Her cleavage out-acted Matt Smith at times.

Overall? Eh. Gets a single sad sniff from me, but Moffat's love of the Angels and a kinda-thin story took away from it for me.

Will it be the end of Amy & Rory, and maybe even River? Doubt it, and there's always the novels/audiobooks that the Beeb are putting out. Maybe if Big Finish get the rights one day, we'll see more.

8. JunkMonkey

Well, since the Torchwood institute has been around since Victorian times it must have been going great guns in the 30s. I can just see Amy and Rory battling Nazis harnessing alien tech in their attempts to blah blah blah. And the thought of Ms Gillan in those tight 40s pencil skirts and hunking great shoulder pads does have a certain appeal...

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  9. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Uh oh, JM's off in his own world again.

10. JunkMonkey

I am. And it gets lonely in here...

11. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Oi, eyes off.

12. JunkMonkey

? ? ? ? ----------

13. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Oh, nothing. I think.

14. MagicBaconBitz

MagicBaconBitz Cat Herder

New to the forums, so I thought it seemed right to post in the Doctor Who thread first cuz I love it so much. Absolutely awesome finale. Always love the Weeping Angels. This episode was worlds better than the boxes episode, ugh. Though I did a super cringe with the Statue of Liberty (yes, we know it's America...don't need to rub it in our faces).

15. JunkMonkey

Just a though - I really must spend more time thinking about grown up stuff - but what is with the doing the same gag twice routine that's crept into this series? First there was the double helping of the 'eggs' joke in the Daleky one and now The Statue of Liberty as a Weeping Angel X 2. The thing may have worked, ominous footsteps and all, if we didn't already know what it was. They showed us 'the monster' in the opening minutes already!

Welcome aboard, MagicBaconBitz.

16. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

And not to mention it didn't move despite not being looked at.

But yeah, this season so far has largely been disappointing. I think there've been moments of potential, such as Amy & Rory falling in the last episode, but they've been really badly handled. That scene would have been MUCH more powerful if we hadn't been shown them falling. Why? The camera work was just terrible, so were the effects, and it just ruined the shock of it.

17. Lazerus

Lazerus Way Too Human

I enjoyed the episode, but it did have it's faults.

I just didn't "feel" it. The emotion didn't come across and impact me as much as I had hoped it would. I felt more sadness when the Dr. lost Rose, and then it got all twisted and mangled again when they had their farewell talk on the beach.

I agree about the Statue of Liberty. The first time was cool. The second time was cumbersome. She should have been able to eat them more than once.

I had no problem with the book. The Dr. was encountering River at a point when she hadn't wrote it yet. What I haven't figured out yet, is at what point does River get put in the library computer. I know it's at some point in her future and his past, but eventually, that has to come to pass for both...right?

But honestly, I'll take the worst Dr. Who episode over none. I'm really looking forward to the next part of the season.

18. ShandaLear

ShandaLear Writer, Artist, Beeyotch

I wanted to sob.

It has taken me a long time to warm up to this Dr. (and while Matt won me over, I'm also ready to move on). But the Ponds always had me, and I like River.

I wanted this episode to rip my heart out, make me bawl til my nose was fluorescent red, and hyperventilate into an emotional semi-coma.

That just didn't happen. It was ok.

19. JunkMonkey

20. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Those are awesome.