Dune

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Kloke, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Kloke

Kloke Registered User

Does anybody think Dune is good?

2. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

Sure, a lot of people think Dune is a good book.

3. Kloke

Kloke Registered User

Hey Rob, who is your favorite character in Dune?

4. Bengoshi-San

Bengoshi-San Celestial Dragon

Herbert is a must-read.

Frank Herbert's Dune is considered by many to be the paragon of Science Fiction literature.

If you do a search on google or elsewhere, you will almost always see him on the top of lists.

I myself haven't read it yet, but I am reading another one of his books (The White Plague) and Dune is probably much better than this so I would say go ahead and get it.

I'll be reading that once I am finished with this.

5. NilsDesperandum

NilsDesperandum shire dweller

The White Plague is, in my opinion, an excellent novel. It has been many years since I read it but I know that it was one of the reasons for my branching out into more mainstream fiction from time to time. Although it may, strictly speaking, be science fiction, the subject matter is so consistant with the global fears of the past couple of decades, that it comes across as a horror-thriller. It is both gripping and moving, driven as it is by the author's masterful prose and charachterisation.

Fave Dune charachter? So many to choose from obviously. For me it's probably Leto I. The charachter's gravitas is immense, destined as he knows he is to lead his friends and family into a trap that has been engineereed amongst the highest echelons and from which there can be no escape. There is something Christ-like in the way that he never once falters upon his path.

Other good Herbert reads:

Dragon in the Sea (his first novel) is excellent
    The Green Brain is chilling
    Hellstrom's Hive, whilst not his best, is strangely appealing
    The Eyes of Heisenberg is also impressive

ND

6. Michigan

Michigan Registered User

Dune is easily among the best SciFi books available, too bad the rest of the series paled in comparison to the 1st.

7. Pellinore

Pellinore What, what, what?

I actually found Children of Dune to be a quite worthy sequel to Dune. The others were also good, though not as good as the original in my opinion.

Favorite character? Probably Stilgar. I love reading about the Fremen- particularly the Fremen prior to Alia's regency.

8. wolfbane19

wolfbane19 Registered User

The first Dune book is excellent. I could scarce put it down, but when I read the second one I was so disappointed I haven't picked the series back up yet...

9. Bengoshi-San

It's a hard thing to keep an audience if you write an amazing first book and then let it get less interesting.

With that in mind, I always try to finish what I start unless of course it is too painful to continue, such is the case with most network television shows. They start out great and capture the audience for the first two seasons, but then slowly recede into the gutter. (Prison Break, Lost, Smallville, Heroes, etc).

:) Always keep the thought in the back of your head.. that when the first of a show or series is great.. there's usually only one way to go.. and that's down.

10. NilsDesperandum

That's a slightly pesemistic view isn't it??

In the case of the Dune novels, whilst I admit that the series never regains the heights of the original, the later books are impressive in and of themselves. Messiah was hard for me initially - it appeared that the author was tearing down everything that he had so carefully constructed, but now I see it as the abject lesson Herbert intended, i.e. that even the mightiest can be brought low, and that nothing lasts forever.

My favourite of the sequels is Heretics, by a long chalk.

ND

P.S. I am discounting the Brian Herbert/Kevin J Anderson books in my above comments :eek:

11. Ropie

Ropie Member of the Monthâ„¢

I hated Dune, it's a turgid read and I disliked most of the characters. Honestly, I can't understand why everyone seems to love it so much. I think I've read worse but have rarely been so bored for such long stretches of reading time - I only finished it due to it's reputation, which it failed to live up to. What is often described as epic, literary sci-fi I found here to actually be grandiose, pompous space fantasy of the highest order, with yawn-inducingly depressing layers of meaning apparently about the US, oil and drugs. Whoopee.

12. phil_geo

phil_geo Rat Thing

I don't know - I think Ropie put it best back in May:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  13. psikeyhackr

psikeyhackr Live Long & Suffer

I liked Dune when I first read it. I kind of doubt I would like it as much today. Really long stories with heavy emphasis on the culture and atmosphere don't interest me so much anymore.

The movie with Sting and Patrick Stewart was tolerable after having read the book though I don't see how anyone who hadn't read it could stand that movie. The TV mini-series was much better.

It is decent as the space opera sub-genre.

psik

14. NilsDesperandum

Well, it certainly attracts a wide variety of opinion! Much like a lot of other "classics", LOTR amongst them.

ND

15. Ropie

Ropie Member of the Monthâ„¢

I didn't say it was boring, I said I was bored ;) and I think I outlined why I disliked it so :p

And I will add that I quite enjoyed the film. I think it is the presentation of the book that put me off, Herbert's writing dragged me down into the sand.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  16. Bengoshi-San

They made a movie based on this? Wow.

Well, I didn't know that. Either way, I should read the book first and then watch the film.

I'm about 150 pages into The White Plague and I am obsessed with it.

17. psikeyhackr

psikeyhackr Live Long & Suffer

This is why I dislike these simple evaluations of good/bad and like/dislike. People need to explain what it is that they like or dislike about a work. You need to find people who's tastes agree with yours rather than just say good vs bad. You're supposed to like THIS because everybody says it's good. YEAH RIGHT!

I finally forced my way LOTR. I just got tired of seeing it on the shelves every time I went to buy some SF. Watch the movies. Don't try to read it unless you really, really LOVED the movies.

But Dune is GOOD. It's supposed to drag you into the sand and make you like it. LOL

psik

18. Michigan

Michigan Registered User

Yeah... about 25 years ago. Pretty bad movie that absolutely bombed at the box office despite some amazing visuals. If I remember right, Lynch actually decided to make Dune instead of Return of the Jedi which he was also in line to do. I think Ridley Scott was also attached somehow at somepoint and he took some of his concepts and applied them to Alien instead.

19. bohbohb

bohbohb New Member

A movie (as Michigan mentioned). A mini-series, done by sci-fi channel that was pretty good, they also did a follow up mini-series that followed the second and third books. And if I remember right, there will be a new Dune movie in the next year or two.

20. Bengoshi-San

Very nice!

I better finish off His Majesty's Dragon and The White Plague so I can start reading Dune. :D

I feel like such a newbie right now.