Farland- Runelords Curious

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by ethanx, Sep 2, 2000.

1. ethanx

ethanx New Member

I am a big fan of Goodkind, Donaldson, Martin and early Jordan. I have heard some things about this Runelord series, both good and bad. If anyone has read it and would care to give a brief synposis or comparison to other works, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanx

2. Keyoke

Keyoke King of the Lurkers.

Well, I wont compare him to the other authors, but, I do enjoy George R. R. Martin quite abit, and did enjoy Donaldson Convenant series (First 3)..

I really enjoyed the Farland series.. Lots of Magic invovled in that series, as well as battles. What I did and didnt like about the series is that the books covered very short amounts of time... Like, a week or so..

But, I do recommend it.. One of the more enjoyable series I have read..

3. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

I like the Runelords series, the second book just came out in paperback, and the third book WIZARDBORN is due out January 2001. Pretty interesting magic system, which is a basis for the political/governmental system as well. The fact that the story takes place over a shorter amount of time is pretty interesting too.

Also: I think Donaldson is just about the best and Martin is that good too. Jordan is pretty good as well. Haven't read Goodkind yet, but mulling him over.

4. Lady Fox

Lady Fox New Member

I wasn't as satisfied with Runelords as I thought I would be. Yeah, plot and character development were good, and the time sequence kept it moving, but I just have a basic problem with the premise that someone has to give up an integral part of themself in exchange for protection, financial stability, etc. This is just a personal preference, of course. IMO, the work of the other authors that you mentioned is far above and better than the Runelords series.