Favorite Fantasy Creature?

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by wardog25, Jan 15, 2007.

1. wardog25

wardog25 Registered User

Yes, I'm aware that 99.9% of people will say dragons, but I was wondering if anyone had any other favorite creatures. I'm kindof partial to wyverns. Not sure why, I just think they are cool. (incidentally, I have never read a book with one in it, I have just played computer games that included wyverns as one of the monsters you fight)

2. jallenw

jallenw Registered User

Pegasus

A longtime Xanth fan, I'm afraid that I can't narrow it down to just one favorite fantasy creature, but I am partial to winged centaurs.

As for my own writing, I think my favorite creature to use is the pegasus. I'm not sure how I feel about a Pegicorn, but I think I like the idea. I guess I just like winged horses of all types. This is, of course, talking about protagonistic character animals.

Antagonistic creatures are a different thing all together. I like to attack my main characters with gargoyles. I also created a creature in one of my novels called an Anger that is somewhat like a combination of a gargoyle, a short tailed Gar, and a poisonous snake.

The best fantasy creatures can fly, in my opinion.

Dragons, of course, are popular because they have it all. Here is a short list of common dragon abilities.

Flight
    Speach
    Armor
    Fire Breathing (Or Steam, Smoke, Ice, Lightening, Poison)
    Telepathy
    Magic
    Razor-Sharp Claws
    Hoards of Treasure
    Mountain Cave Hideaway
    Underwater breathing or being able to hold breath for a long time.
    Shapeshifting
    Regeneration
    Invisibility
    And Living in a Land Called Hannah Lee.

So as you can see, most people favor dragons simply because they are the total package.

3. Postaurch

Postaurch Registered User

A. A. Attanasio has a book titled Wyvern, and although no such creature makes an appearance in the book, it is a good read anyway.

I think Katherine Kerr has a book with a wyvern in it but I can't say for sure.

4. Postaurch

Some favorites:

- Divlish the Damned's demon horse (author Roger Zelazny)

- Robin Hobb's dragons and her variations thereof (its the variations that make her standout).

- Virtually everything in Stephen R. Donaldson's work: the Raynihm (sp? - sentient horses), the waynim and their variants, sand gorgons, elohim, cave wights, wisps, and the best incarnation of giants in modern fantasy.

- The giant battle cats (forget the actual name) in Lawrence Watt-Evens overman stories.

5. Murrin

Murrin Registered User

I'm having trouble thinking of stuff, so I'll take the previous poster's Stephen R Donaldson list and add in Demondim, Arguleh, and croyel.

And then there's the Weaver(s?), China Mieville's most interesting creation.

6. foolofgold

foolofgold Time to change, Changer.

The wizard wood ships and their living figureheads in Robin Hobbs Liveship Traders trilogy are quite awesome, especially Paragon.

Also, the Thestrals from Potter are neat-o as well.

7. Beleg

Beleg Registered User

Hippogriff's are where it is.

8. GreyMantle

GreyMantle Teenage Nietzscheist

Mieville's menagerie is mind-blowing.

9. Gkarlives

Gkarlives Mystic and Misfit

Tad Williams' Shadowmarch has one in it and Brian Priest (check me on the author) Dragonworld had one as a main villian.

Nom the Sandgorgon and the Ur-vile that became the new Staff of Law from the Second Chronicals of Thomas Covenant were great creatures. They have such powerful mystery built around their characters. Also, the parasitic creatures that granted magic powers to the wizard in the city across the sea.
    Loish from the Vlad Taltos series by Brust.

10. JBI

JBI Lord of Chaos

Talking flowers.

11. intensityxx

intensityxx Prefers to be anomalous

I want a daemon, as in His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman.

I wish I knew of good fantasy with sublime, wondrous creatures without grotesquerie - maybe non-cheesy dragon tales?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  12. Konrad

Konrad Member of Team Kronos

Duckmen...

...my personal favorites and partly my own creations. Noone beats them!
    But if you want to know about such that are known to mankind look below.
    Werewolves. They are the best. After zombies. Brains!!!

A werewolf is an ordinary person while vampires are aritocrats. They are snobbar. As we call it in Sweden. You can cope with them a lot better.

Then there are a million of small creatures that I can't name.

13. algernoninc

algernoninc Now I'm an axolotl

the telepath wolf in Robin Hobb's Farseer books. Yeah, the liveships come a close second, but the mind link and the transfer of abilities are much cooler. Although, if I were to choose a companion for me, I would prefer a condor, not a wolf - something with wings.

The Ents from Tolkien also make to the top of the list - a long life of contemplation of mountains and forests, endless conversations with the peers, "save the forest" activists ...

Bartimaeus - the malicious djinn from Jonathan Stroud books, would make a cool friend also. I saw him mentioned in another topic today

Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  14. FuzzBunneh

FuzzBunneh Registered User

Miéville's menagerie is indeed mind-blowing as someone else pointed out. The khepri are great, but someone on this board said in a post I read a few days ago that they're a rip-off of some creatures in Harrison's Viriconium.. I've had that book on my shelf for a while and haven't got round to reading it yet, but now I'm intrigued. I admire the depth of Miéville's imagination and it would be a pretty big blow to me if it turns out to be too blatant - then again, which author doesn't use others for inspiration?

Someone else mentioned Robin Hobb's dragons, liveships and variations thereof - you took the words right out of my mouth, it's pretty much the first thing that came to my mind. I think she's done an excellent job of making them captivating from beginning to end, where many other authors have a tendency to outdo themselves and come up with new beasts every few pages to keep the excitement going.

I've heard that Stephen Donaldson's creatures are great.. seems that plenty of people on this board think so at any rate. I've been shying away from the Chronicles of Thomas Convenant for a while now but I think you're convincing me to give them a go..

15. kged

kged Gloriam Imperator

Ah, but what would you get? I'd want a hippo, hippos are ace. They look so rotundly cheery and placid, but they are #^&%ing mental.

Top fantasy creatures - GRRM's direwolves are pretty damn good.

16. Postaurch

Funny that the khepri are the one race that really bugged me. If I recall, Mielville identified them as an evolved race rather than created. If evolved, I just don't buy it. You can argue alternate world/mechanisms, but evolution as we know it wouldn't result in such a superfluidity of parts as to have sex organs in the head as well as humanoid (or human-compatible and welcoming) genitalia.

The mosquito people, on the other hand, are great!!

17. Physics Knight

Physics Knight Defender of Cononicals

The Liveships from Robin Hobb take the cake. Who wouldn't want a talking ship?

Can I mention the cyberdemon from the DoomII video game? :p That thing ceeped me out every time I head it's metal leg approach from far off.

18. foolofgold

foolofgold Time to change, Changer.

Ah man, the steam demons were cool too.

19. jallenw

jallenw Registered User

Evil Not-a-chickens.

Evil Not-A-Chickens are awesome too. They terrorize mud people villages.

(I'm sorry in advance. It's probably best that you ignore this or, if you wish to reply, reply in the T. Goodkind forums so that this post doesn't get crazy.)

20. theRolgam

theRolgam New Member

Their is a D&D novel called the Wyverns Spur, I think you would like a lot.

Beholders are pretty cool because of their various but finite abilities, of course in d&d they are getting a bit over done.

I also like Audry II in little shop of horrors