Favourite Fantasy Characters

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Duke_Sandre, Apr 17, 2001.

1. Duke_Sandre

Duke_Sandre New Member

Okay, I'm new here and maybe this has been done before, but I was wondering who are your favourite fantasy characters.
    This isn't just an excuse for people to start bashing authours etc.
    I just wanted to know which characters people think will stick with them for life, whose characters who they love and would want to read about again.

Mine are probably Mara from the Empire Trilogy,Tyrion from ASOIAF.

I like these characters because they have real emotional depth and develop with the story they are not simply black and white. Tyrion especially at first I wanted to hate him but...

2. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

Yeah it's been done before, but there are a good number of new members since the last time we did this. Links to the old threads are at the bottome, but here are some of mine

Radgar from Lord of the Firelands/Tales of the Kings Blades by Dave Duncan
    Flagg from various Stephen King Novels/Fantasies
    Thomas Covenant and Saltheart Foamfollower from Donaldson Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
    Tyrion from A Song of Ice and Fire is just plain fun to read.
    Biago, Alzarian and Richius Vantran from Tyrants and Kings by John Marco
    Simon, Binabik and Guthwulf from Memory, Sorrow and Thorn I enjoyed Simon's growth as a character.

Favorite Heroine
    Favourite Character

3. FitzChivalry

FitzChivalry A servant of Lord Arioch

Here are some of mine:

Matrim Cauthon - The Wheel of Time, sometimes i think i read that series only for him.
    Arya and Jon Snow - A Song of Ice and Fire.
    Jimmy the Hand - The Riftwar Saga
    Corwin - The Amber Chronicles
    Tas, Tanis, Raistlin, Flint...hell all of the Heroes of the Lance - Dragonlance Chronicles
    Gerald Tarrant - The Cold Fire Trilogy
    Drizzt Do'Urden - Dark Elf Trilogy
    Elric - Elric books

There are probably more, those are the ones that i can think of right now.

4. Shehzad

Shehzad High Priest of Cainism

Raistlin rules....(Dragonlance)
    Thomas Covenant... well I wouldn't say he's my favourite but definitely a character worth reading about. After all he's moren anti-hero than a hero.
    Ged the Sparrowhawk from the Earthsea trilogy
    Pug from Magician
    and this may come as a surprise to some... Auda Ibn Jad from Weis/Hickman's Rose of the Prophet
    Mara from the Empire trilogy....

5. Gooch

Gooch Registered User

Probably my first and longest standing favorite was Flint Fireforge from Dragonlance.

I also like Jon Snow fro ASoIaF a lot too.

6. allanon

allanon The Druid

Allanon
    Tomas
    Bilbo Baggins
    the Reaper
    Ba'alzamon
    Moridin

7. Pixie

Pixie New Member

Most of my favorites have been mentioned already. However I would add Silk from David Eddings' Belgariad and The Hound from ASOIAF... he's a pretty interesting character.

8. Metosblat

Metosblat New Member

Tyrion ofcourse.
    Tormund, one of the wildlings in ASOIAF. That guy was probably the funiest character i've ever come across. He made me laugh out loud.
    Sephiroth from final fantasy 7 is the best bad guy in my opinion.

9. Rhaegar

Rhaegar Registered User

Yep, I have to agree with those who rate Tyrion the Imp from ASoIaF as their favorite. His sense of humour combined with his brilliant wit make him the most entertaining fantasy character I have encountered. I read somewhere that Tyrion is George R.R. Martin's favorite character to write, and this seems evident from the books. I think you can really sense the affection GRRM has for the Imp.

10. Bardos

Bardos Ancient Member

Personaly, I have the impresion that Tyrion and Daenerys are the main characters of the srory.
    We'll see...

11. azaz

azaz New Member

Jon, Ayra, Bran in GRRM's ASOIAF
    Fitz Chivalry in Robin Hobbs Farseer Trilogy.
    Kalam, Anomander Rake and others in steven Eriksons ,Tale of Malazan Empire' series
    Alain, Sanglant and Liath in Kate Elliotts 'Crown of Stars series'.
    And tons of others from other books.

12. FantasyFan

FantasyFan New Member

This is my first time here - just found this site and am hooked now - much to my kids' disgust.
    So - Favourite characters hey - where do I start...........
    I seem to have developed a penchant(?) for the strong, silent, (yet sensitive) types - Aragorn (LotT), Arathon (Wars of Light and Shadow), Allanon (Shannara), Arutha (Riftwar) - what's with all the "A"s.
    I also loved Artagel from Mordant's Need along with Geraden (who was so very unhero-like, you couldn't help but like him), Jimmy the Hand (when he was a young boy), and Brashen (Liveship Traders). There's also Zohra and Khardan from Weis/Hickman's Rose of the Prophet.
    Then there's all the others as well that have already been mentioned - Tyrion (SoIaF), Simon(MS&T), Jon Snow & Arya etc. Its a very long list because I've read heaps of books with too many lovable characters I guess.

I'll put my favourite funny ones somewhere else.

13. The Hound's Dad

The Hound's Dad New Member

Mine are....

The Hound - A Song of Ice and Fire Series

Druss the Legend (David Gemmell's Drenai Novels)

Cnaiur Urs Skiotha - The Prince of Nothing Series

Elias Machera - The Wheel of Time Saga

Waylander the Slayer (Gemmell)

Jon Snow - ASoiAF

Ned Stark - AsoiAF

Anyone from ASoiAF

Rand Al'Thor - WoT

Perrin Aybara - WoT

Richard Rahl - Sword of Truth

Anomander Rake - Malazan Book of the Fallen

Walker Boh - Shannara

Morgan Leah - Shannara

The Legendary Rebel, Jack Random - Deathstalker Saga

Kid Death - Deathwalker Saga

:cool:

14. The Hound's Dad

The Hound's Dad New Member

Thomas Covenant is an a-hole in my opinion - he rapes a girl in the very first book, and he's always complaining about the world around him.:mad::eek:

15. wolfbrother1846

wolfbrother1846 New Member

Onos O' T'oolan

Tyrion

16. saintjon

saintjon Illustrious Gambler

Of course he's an asshole, he has his reasons though and pays and pays and PAYS for his transgressions. I think he's a great character.

I've tried to make comprehensive lists of my favourite characters before, however since I just finished Crown of Stars after 10 years or more yesterday I want to stick to that (one of the few epic fantasy series I started on BEFORE I joined sffworld actually). And I want to get specific about them so there's going to be some

MAJOR SPOILERS FOR CROWN OF STARS SERIES BY KATE ELLIOT!!!!

Alain: What a journey this guy went on. Everyone who's ever suffered for taking the high road, find here your champion. I can get instantly moved just thinking about when he'd lost absolutely everything and got swept into the past and like rediscovered himself in the simplicity of the past and the love of Adica

Fifth Son/ Stronghand: Good partly because of the mental dream interplay between him and Alain and partly because he's like a window onto the bizarre culture and trappings of the Eika as he tries to redeem his people and create a realistic hope for them to last into the future

Zacharias: I remember looking forward to this guy's chapters while Kansi-a-Lari was dragging him literally all over creation. A very sympathetic cowardly eunuch I found lol

Eldest Uncle: I'd sit by a fire twisting rope with him any day

Liath: People complain about her but I really enjoyed the hell out of reading her discovering the various aspects of her heritage and I've said it before, that part in one of the books when her "maternal relatives' came from the Upper Aether to save her and lit up the place, "... even the mountains burned" is one of my favourite scenes in all of fantasy

Helmut Villam: I love this sort of character, the king/ruler's toughest old warhorse, trusthworthy and loyal to the greatest extreme

Kansi-a-Lari: Just a classic hardcore bitch really.

Prince Bayan: Cocky foreigners with a good sense of humour and good martial skills are always fun to read :D.

Sanglant: Interesting Achilles-ish concept, his actions weren't all that original but a lot of his story was good reading, his captivity and de-humanization under bloodheart and his ongoing grudge matches with Bulkezu were high spots for me.

Hugh: What a dick. Possibly took villainous dickery to a level surpassing even Regal from the Farseer trilogy. Obsessed, dishonest, underhanded and slanderous to the bitter end, I almost thought he got let off the hook somewhat at the end though. I could probably live with what happened to him lol.

Liat'dano: Just a really great concept! I love ancient things and I don't know if in any of the other fantasy books I've read centaurs had their own culture.

I forgot a lot I'm sure but I got a lot of years of good reading out of this series and it was kind of cathartic to mark out to it a bit here lol. Of course I love characters from other stories as well but we'll just call this the Kate Elliot edition :D

17. Siberian

Siberian Too many books to read...

Gadalf, Eowyn, Aragorn, Sam & Faramir (LOTR, obviously)

Snape (Harry Potter books)

Temeraire

Howl & Sophie (Howl's Moving Castle)

18. Bear

Bear I eat fish.

The Weaver - Perdido Street Station
    The Fool - Both Hobb Trilogies
    Iorek - His Dark Materials
    The Tree - The Giving Tree
    Croup and Vandemar - Neverwhere
    Frannie McCabe - The Wooden Sea
    Mrs. Charbuque - The Portrait of Mrs. Charbuque
    Baba Yaga and the Bear God - Enchantment
    Martha and Cassie Vine - The Facts of Life
    Chaos/John Flannery - Glass Soup

19. manephelien

manephelien Gryffindor Gal

Boromir, Gollum (LOTR, I love these as the only morally ambiguous characters in the story, the rest are either evil beyond redemption or too good to be true)
    Snape (the one I love to hate)
    The Fool (especially in the Tawny Man trilogy).

20. Moonstone

Moonstone New Member

Wow where to start!

:)I think its a great idea to do this again, I havent done this before. But where to start?
    My first favorite fantasy Characher was Rastlin from Dragonlance, he was week in body, strong in mind and intellegence, not very nice really and I spent the whole six books willing him to conqour himself. Margerate Weiss dsicribes him "the smell of spice and death," and " the whispering of his robes" and the heat. I cant wait for the film to come out!

More recently its Aragorn of course, who unlike Rastlin is good, honourable - yet he too has his deamons.

And David Eddings Sparhawk, who is battered and older, he comes across as a real person.

Moonstone from FAR