First Fantasy Book Poll

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by cgw, Nov 1, 2012.

?

First Fantasy Book?

1. Born before 1972 first fantasy book - The Hobbit or LOTR

11 vote(s)
    18.0%
  2. Born before 1972 1st fantasy book - other

11 vote(s)
    18.0%
  3. Born after 1972 1st fantasy book - The Hobbit or LOTR

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
  4. Born after 1972 1st fanatsy book - other

30 vote(s)
    49.2%
  1. cgw

cgw Registered User

Curious about a generational question:

2. Randy M.

Randy M. Registered User

Lost the question there somewhere.

Anyway ... I was born before 1972, and before I got around to Tolkein in about 1975 or '76, I was reading Arthur Machen, H. P. Lovecraft, Ray Bradbury and Shirley Jackson. And I think you'll find there's a subset of people born pre-1972 whose entry to fantasy was through magazine fantasy/horror: Weird Tales (Lovecraft, C. A. Smith, Robert E. Howard, C. L. Moore, early Bradbury, etc.), Unknown (Anthony Boucher, Heinlein, Sturgeon, Leiber, Fred Brown, Fritz Leiber, etc.), or The Magazine of Fantasy and S.F. (Poul Anderson, Leiber, Sturgeon, Avram Davidson, etc.). Admittedly the crowd who read WT and Unknown on initial publication is thinning rapidly, still a lot of the work from those magazines was being republished in mass market paperbacks from the 1950s into the 1980s: Conjure Wife, Darker than You Think, and collections of stories drawn exclusively from each magazine.

Then there was the mid-1960s surge of popularity for Sword & Sorcery when the Robert E. Howard collections with the FrankFrazetta (sp?) covers started showing up.

Randy M.

3. Obtuse

Obtuse ‪Ominous, I'm In Us

I was born in 1972 and thus am apparently excluded from this poll. :(

Screw it, I'm voting anyway. First fantasy was The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

4. End Of Disc One

End Of Disc One Registered User

After 72 and my first was also The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. But if we're talking adult sized novels, it was The Eye of the World followed closely by The Hobbit.

5. Rulkez

Rulkez Registered User

Born 82 and only just attempting my first LOTR read through now.

6. cgw

cgw Registered User

My theory is that a greater percentage of over 40 will have read The Hobbit first because starting in the 80's there seems to be a larger selection that people may start with (e.g. Belgariad, Wheel of Time, etc). Just a theory. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe may upset my theory a little (if YA counts, assuming it is YA, I never read it)

7. Agassizii

Agassizii . . .

Born in 93 and first fantasy book was Wizard's First Rule.

8. DailyRich

DailyRich Damn fool idealist

Born in 1968 and my first fantasy was Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH.

9. Rexington

Rexington Bookaholic

Born in 78 and my first fantasy was NOTHING like LOTR, "The Sword Of Shannara"

10. txshusker

txshusker A mere player

Born in '68... The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe... et al...

11. sic's mom

sic's mom I want to be a princess

Ok I was born before 72 and I had to read the Hobbit in school. Now I don't really consider that my first fantasy since it was assignment, but I suppose it was, and I hated it at the time. As an adult I just started reading fantasy about 10-12 years ago. David Eddings and the Belgaraid were my first choices, and I have been hooked ever since. Of course I've moved on to more adult stuff, but as an adult I read the Hobbit again, and still didn't care for it. Love the story, hate the writing. Never could get into LOTR either. Loved the movies, just as I am looking forward to the new Hobbit one, but really didn't care for the books.

12. ms529212

ms529212 Registered User

Ditto Obtuse's answer. In fact, I was born on the exact middle day of 1972, so I can't even use that cutoff to decide whether to pick "before" or "after." I was born in the afternoon, so I guess I'll pick "after." Also, it makes me feel younger.

Anyway, Narnia was my first...but The Hobbit came very shortly thereafter.

13. cgw

cgw Registered User

So far a statistical dead heat. The only solid information I have gleaned so far is that people born in 1972 read Narnia first.
    It would be interesting to see how many people kept reading fantasy after starting with YA fantasy (as oppposed to really starting as an adult). Does the number rise after the advent of Harry Pottter? As a youth I read a lot of Edgar Rice Burroughs and similar but that did not translate into more (regular) fantasy. In high school I read a lot of Vonnegut but to this day I do not consider it SF. I did not really start untill I was 20 in college and picked up the Hobbit (and Dune).

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  14. PeterWilliam

PeterWilliam Omnibus Prime

'71 and The Hobbit during reading time in the third grade with Mrs. Barruzzi. Somewhere around the same time, my uncle gave me a box-set of The Chronicles of Narnia. Later, in the fifth grade, read the various Prydain Chronicles.

15. gljones

gljones Registered User

Hobbit, absolutely was the first.I want to say it was 75 or 76

16. oceanworld

oceanworld Registered User

Born after 1972

Ok born after 1972 and the first fantasy book I've read, you know I really can't remember, I didn't start reading fantasy until after high school.

17. Gustaf Hagel

Gustaf Hagel Formerly imaster

Born after 72 and I can't quite recall if I read "The Magician's Nephew" or Susan Cooper's "Over Sea, Under Stone" first. It was somewhere when I was 8-10 years old anyway. Then I mostly read YA horror for a couple of years before LoTR entered around when I was 12-13 and changed what I looked for at the library.

18. JasonLee

JasonLee New Member

Born in 1966 and I'm pretty dang sure The Hobbit was the first fantasy book I ever read. I think it was in 8th grade. Robert Heinlein was the very first author I ever read, though.

19. DurzoBlint

DurzoBlint http://tinyurl.com/363ogv

Born in 1975, as best I can recall my first book was A Wrinkle In Time (maybe third or fourth grade). Shortly there after was Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Then lost interest in the genre until high school when I was introduced to the Dragonlance Chronicles. Been building on it since then.

20. Michigan

Michigan Registered User

Born in 78, not positive about my answer as I read a ton as a kid and that was a long time ago. I know my dad read Narnia to me when I was younger, that was probably my first intro to fantasy. On my own may have been the Lloyd Alexander stuff, at least as far as traditional fantasy goes, though I couldn't say for sure. Do the Choose Your Own Adventure books count as fantasy?