First Fantasy Book Poll

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by cgw, Nov 1, 2012.

?

First Fantasy Book?

1. Born before 1972 first fantasy book - The Hobbit or LOTR

11 vote(s)
    18.0%
  2. Born before 1972 1st fantasy book - other

11 vote(s)
    18.0%
  3. Born after 1972 1st fantasy book - The Hobbit or LOTR

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
  4. Born after 1972 1st fanatsy book - other

30 vote(s)
    49.2%
  1. Obtuse

Obtuse ‪Ominous, I'm In Us

Interesting. That's very similar to my experience. I read Lewis and Tolkien as a kid, then didn't really read fantasy again until introduced to Dragonlance at age 20. From there, my appetite for the genre became ravenous.

2. nposecznick

nposecznick Another quiet dude.

Born in 1973, Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe very likely first, but memory is fuzzy. I did read a Wrinkle in Time fairly early. Read a bunch of D&D books like pick-a-paths and Dragonlance before The Hobbit. By highschool I was reading more sci-fi than fantasy and didn't read LOTR until junior year of college.

I tend to prefer current or future settings rather than past or pseudo-past. I discovered that around highschool clearly. Probably had to do with my growing comic book focus Junior high through college. Superhero stuff being science fantasy and all.

3. EllenS

EllenS Registered User

I should have read the replies before voting in the poll. I added to the wrong option.

The first book I read that would normally be found in the Fantasy section of a bookstore was LOTR, but I'd been reading Asimov, Clarke, Heinlein, et al for years before I read LOTR at 16.

Actually, upon further reflection, Burroughs and the John Carter books would have been my first fantasy books.

4. Santaria

Santaria Registered User

My first that I can remember was the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe as an adolescent, though I think I read some fantasy as a kid, time travel, the indian in the cupboard. In any case, I didn't read anything as a teenager/ young adult unless you count horror and Anne Rice. And then one day my husband came home with The Eye of The World. Been hooked ever since.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  5. flickwizard

flickwizard Registered User

Born before '72. Hmmm....first fantasy was probably The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster (does that count? At the time, I thought it was the best book ever written. Now that I think on it, it still is pretty great.).

Let's see. Then came The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe(followed by the rest of the series), The Last Unicornby Peter Beagle, and then The Hobbitand LOTR. After, I started on the Deryni books by Katherine Kurtz, and kept going from there.