First-time Reader's Journey - Malazan Book of the Fallen

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by chris777, May 20, 2011.

1. T77

T77 Registered User

Just finished Dust of Dreams and I thought it was incredible! The ending might be better than TtH's ending. I am in awe of this series. On to The Crippled God - I hope to have to have it finished before Forge of Darkness is released in September.

2. chris777

chris777 Registered User

Anyone know where to find OST, DoD, and CG in audio format?

3. T77

T77 Registered User

I don't believe they exist yet. SE said there will be audio books soon though. There are audio books floating around for some of the older books, but not for sale anywhere that I am aware of.

4. chris777

chris777 Registered User

OK I'm almost done with OST and I have a few questions/concerns.
    (spoilers below)

1) I like this book. Lots of important things seem to be happening but many characters I feel are paper thin. Dassem doesn't feel as deep as when SE writes him...etc

2) Anyone else feel like the naming of the first at the end for the Seguleh was pretty disappointing. It felt really hollow. Once I realized Jan planned to try and make Dassem the first, i thought "holy crap that's awesome". Then the whole ceremony of it was pretty bland.

3) Was it just me or were there tons of moments in the books that seemed pointless. The guy who made the automation fighting robot? What was the point of that, it killed the pickled Seguleh then Taycheren blew it apart. Or the scenes of Spindle and Duiker getting this chemical that really didn't mean anything in the end. Or when Krupe and Humble made Baranthol do something that he freaked out and thought was so disgusting and vile he had to wash his hands a million times? Was that simply just creating arrows with a "wax" tip? That really did nothing? What was with that Imass who attacked everyone then thought the Legate was a Jaghut, but found instead he was human?

4) Why is K'rul being called a female now? That's random.

5) Was Mourn actually Rake? Or Draconus? I'm leaning towards Draconus....

6) I'm thinking two things. Kruppe is some sort of god. Elder. And Taycheren either just reached godhood through K'Rul, combined/fused with him/her, or merely ascended? Why the name change?

7) I'm a bit confused about the whole Hood/Rake scenario in the previous book. Why couldn't rake just have someone kill him with his own sword if that was his plan. Why even bother with Hood? He really didn't accomplish anything except delaying the chaos army.

I feel like I had more, but that's good for now.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  5. T77

T77 Registered User

Just finished The Crippled God and I liked it a lot, however, i do think it was one of the weaker books in the series. To put it in perspective I give it an 8/10, all of the other books were 8.5+/10. The reason why it didn't rank as high for me was that there were a lot of battles. While I love military fantasy, I enjoy what happens between the battles more than the battles themselves. But, this is a minor complaint as I liked the book, especially the ending. Everything was tied up nicely.

The series on a whole was incredible, 9/10. It was very close to perfection.

I still have to read Stonewielder and OST and FoD comes out in a few weeks, so a lot more Malazan goodness to come. Going to take a break from Malazan and catch up on Glen Cook before FoD hits.

6. Headwound

Headwound Registered User

A lot of questions are being answered in Forge of Darkness and I'm sure more in the following novels in the trilogy. I'm almost finished with FoD and am looking forward to reading MBotF (again) with the ICE novels placed in the timeline properly. FoD reads nothing like MBotf (thank gods) its straightforward and is only vague where it needs to be. I enjoyed the secrets interlaced throughout MBotF much in the way I enjoyed the tv show Lost. The Crippled God has a much more fan friendly ending.

7. chris777

chris777 Registered User

Just finished DoD. Pretty freaking good. Starting TCG today! I want to reread this series so bad, but its just too huge.

Lots of things I need to know if they get answered in this book.

• Who was Ruthan Gudd?
    • What really happened to QuickBen?
    • Skinner/Cowl/CrimsonGaurd story line get resolved?
    • Is Dasem really playing no part in the upcoming battles? Being that he is now #1?
    • Everyone inside Rake's sword was reborn somewhere else...so where is Rake?
    • These "children" that are hunted by the assail and carrying "Held who cannot be held"; does this make sense later? Or was it pointless...
    • Silverfox and her T'lan Imass make another appearance?
    • The other people that dissapeared but have always been lurking, do we see them again? : Karsa, Aspalar, Kallor, Kallam, Edgewalker, GhostHands...the list goes on
    • This Eres'al that "haunts" bottle, and could subdue Icarium with a touch...do we see her again?
    • I'm sure there's more "hanging storylines" that i cannot think of right now.

8. Andols

Andols I like stories

most of your list will see some clarification and resolution in tcg, stonewielder and OST. some will not :)

9. chris777

chris777 Registered User

I've read SW and OST.

10. Seli

Seli Registered User

Rhud: more or less
    QB: yes
    Guard: other book
    Dassem: I believe OST explains where he was (timeline be damned)
    Rake: with mother dark? (still a mystery)
    children: a bit more, never fully
    Silverfox: other book
    [? : is I can't remember it has been a while]
    Karsa :), Aspalar ?, Kallor :(, Kallam :), Edgewalker ?, GhostHands :)
    Eres'al ?
    Other storylines some will other won't

11. chris777

chris777 Registered User

Hrmm...i'll just RAFO! =)

12. Andols

Andols I like stories

well then for dassem and teh guard you are up to date. i dont know how many more books ICE plans on doing, hopefully 2 or 3 at least.

13. StoneBurner

StoneBurner Registered User

Forge of Darkness sure twisted my understanding of the whole thing into knots.

All in All, probably one of my favorite Erickson books. I think the fact it's shorter than his usual fare means it was better edited.

14. T77

T77 Registered User

Good to hear. Looking forward to this, next week is the US release date.

15. chris777

chris777 Registered User

Well I started this thread May 20th 2011. I finished the book on October 5th 2012. So including the ICE novels, which would be 14 books, it took me 17months to finish the whole series. Tad bit less than one book per month. I believe the only break I took was Abercrombie's The Heroes. Might be why I feel so drained towards the series.

As most of you know from my posts here I was pretty high on this epic. Minus maybe the philosophy in every paragraph. I have to say though I'm slightly disappointing at the ending. There are still so many loose ends that weren't tied up. Which to me just screams filler. Why have a whole story line about someone or something and then never come back to it. If not filler, then purposely left open for future novels. Otherwise it's just sloppy writing. I don't want to bust Steven's balls here, and there would have been a monumental amount of loose ends to tie up had he tried. He did bring many of the characters back together, but not all. I'm mainly focusing on the negatives right now, there are plenty of positives. I just want to get some of my thoughts out. There's just so much still left unexplained that you can fill in plots holes with your own made up truth...because nobody knows the real truth. I guess I just feel sort of cheated honestly. He takes us on this huge journey, purposely confusing us the whole way. Dangles the carrot of truth in front of our faces the whole time, and in the end only gives us a bite of it...not the whole thing. Doesn't even explain WHY [/spoiler] Cottillion had to kill the Crippled God in the end. A green light shot up into the sky. I'm guessing it had something to do with Heboric needing to be there guiding him at the same time he dies? I dunno...I interpreted that cause nothing was explained! Or why he can go from a monster evil character to this nice humbled god? During the read I was even thinking "I bet TCG is going to end up being a nice guy and misunderstood". But there were so many parts throughout the series where I decided "That can't be true, because you can't misunderstand what he's doing right now, he's fkn evil bad guy...". Then it all gets shaken up at the end? Wasn't Poliel poisoning and killing millions of innocent people..only to become the savior goddess in the End...D'rek was good?...or was convinced to be good by Tavore...i don't buy it....
    What happened to that underground reject cult that TCG formed that Felesin or someone became the leader/queen of? Just one example.

I liked the series as a whole, just wish he'd explain things better. Which should be the tag line for this series "I wish he'd explain things". Nope, he won't.

16. grayfoxpt

grayfoxpt New Member

sure this has been asked a lot, but haven't found it: how much of GOTM's plot is it necessary to remember, to understand the overal plot of the series? i've read it 2 years ago, found it interesting and have an idea of what happended but almost all names and who fought against who have vanished from my mind.

17. Danogzilla

Danogzilla Couch Commander

This to be my autumn/winter project. I have a huge amount of time off in the winter, and the first nine books ready to go in my TBR. November sounds like a good "go" month. I'm pretty excited.

18. T77

T77 Registered User

19. T77

T77 Registered User

I also find this wikia to be a valuable resource when I don't know a person or race and such. It's even been updated for Forge of Darkness. And it warns when information contains spoilers.

http://malazan.wikia.com/wiki/Malazan_Wiki

20. chris777

chris777 Registered User

Something I forgot to add but meant to. This is a spoiler for both OST and TCG. So if you've read both, chime in.
    Where was "T'ren" in TCG? Was OST later? If so how does that make sense? And if not, how did K'rul and Mael help free TCG when in OST it appeared like K'rul and Tayscheren merged? And even if they didn't, something dramatic happened between the two for Tay to not make any appearance. What am I missing?

Also, I don't quite understand why all these gods and ascendants chained this guy, then released him. They realized they made a mistake? That's the only thing I can come up with. And TCG did some pretty terrible things in this book to be changed into such a "nice, passionate god" later. I just don't quite see it.