Forge of Darkness by Steven Erikson

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by kcf, Aug 24, 2012.

1. kcf

kcf Nobody in Particular

I was pretty suprised to see that there isn't yet a thread devoted to Forge of Darkness by Erikson and the new Kharkanas Trilogy. So, I suppose here is one now. The book is out in the UK and coming next month in the US.

Anyway, I'll start things off with this. I finally got my review done for FOD. I thought it was pretty great, though it's obviously only the beginning. I can't wait to see where it goes from here. An excerpt of the review is below (yes, it's long - around 1700 words, and there is much more at the blog).

2. assasin

assasin Registered User

I've never decided whether the use of unreliable narrator in the various malazan books is a good thing or a bad thing. It seems like every three or four books the whole direction of the books seems to shift 90 degrees. I'm fairly certain most descriptions of tiste that I've seen describe them as "invader races." Also I though high king kallor was supposed to rule a human empire after the imass ?

3. Lucas Thorn

Lucas Thorn Cthulhu's Red Bucket

wow. that's an awesome review.

my review went something like this:
    wow!!!! awesumness!!!!

followed by me gibbering for a bit like a monkey with its hands on a tourist's camera phone.

4. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

The Kharkanas Trilogy Book 1: Forge of Darkness

5. CodanOfCanada

CodanOfCanada Lord of the Frozen Wastes

Can't wait to read it. Just waiting for my copy to arrive in the mail.

Great review by the way, it makes me want to read it even more. I'm definitely not opposed to the unreliable narrator.

6. Headwound

Headwound Registered User

I would love to read a review of FoD from some one completely Malazan naive. An efffort to put myself in those shoes I think it would have an early Stephen R. Donaldson feel to it. (Cant really explain why) FoD was very focused but still has SE's brilliance. The first book is pretty slow but eventful for fans. His world,writing and character modivations makes characters with little background seem more realistic than some fleshed out characters in other books. He is a master of nuance in his character development and a natural storyteller.

7. DurzoBlint

DurzoBlint http://tinyurl.com/363ogv

I plan on jumping into this series just as soon as I finish the last three books in the series.

8. Seli

Seli Registered User

There is a review on tor.com by someone who only has read GotM, which is the closest I have seen. http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/09/fo...review-of-forge-of-darkness-by-steven-erikson

9. StoneBurner

StoneBurner Registered User

I don't know how well FOD could work for somebody unfamiliar with all the SE and ICE books. Part of the wonder of the book is understanding what happens in the Malazan future based on events in FOD.

10. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

Interesting...a SRD blurb is on a book or three in the series and if I'm not mistaken SRD is an influence on SE.
    I'm not an uber-Malazan fan (read up to Reaper's Gale thus far) but I do plan on reading this one very soon with the hope of getting a review up in the next month or so.

11. Evil Agent

Evil Agent Saturn Comes Back Around

Not sure how I feel about this. A couple years ago, I was ecstatic at the idea of an Anomander Rake trilogy...

...but the last book I read was Toll the Hounds, which really pissed me off. It had its (few) moments, but was definitely the worst in the series so far. A large part of it was concerned with Rake and the Tiste Andii... but I just wanted it to be over.

Anyways, thanks for the reviews. Still might check it out, when I eventually finish the series.

12. Headwound

Headwound Registered User

I wish I could explain better what I mean by referring to SRD. I had a sense memory during FoD that took me back to reading LFB. It has something to do with a new world scope and an overall visionary like aspect I get out of how the writing is structured. FoD is the first book by SE where I didnt feel like I had to study or be in the right frame of mind to tackle. With MBotF you never knew if a tangent was coming or if it really was a tangent and not a clever lead into somthing more. FoD was such a clean read I actually missed the side stories and SE's humour which was in short supply. In an interview SE said he got a lot of things out of his system with the passing of MBotF, I hope he didn't mean the humour.

13. DurzoBlint

DurzoBlint http://tinyurl.com/363ogv

So what you are saying is that FoD was more linear and straight-forward instead of his usual writing style, which I personally call "Fog of War."

I haven't read many of his short story collections featuring the necromancers, but I remember them being very straight forward.

I look forward to the new series, may have to get off of my duff and read another one of the MBotF soon.

14. Claireness

Claireness New Member

I'm a long time Erikson fan and I think you can sum up Forge of Darkness with...

It's okay.

15. HeclaBull

HeclaBull Registered User

The way in which I see SRD's influence the most in Erikson's writing is in how there's a heavy focus on characters' psychological and emotional development and their reactions in these same areas to everything that's going on.

Yeah, to be honest, I'm not sure how much I would have enjoyed FoD if it wasn't for all the tidbits of history and mythology about the Malazan world, races and characters that was in it, all of which wouldn't have had the same relevance to me without having read the main series.

I had the same problem with some of the Andii and Anomander parts of TTH in that they have all that ennui and seem to be the most philosophizing group of people out of a book full of philosophizing characters. This made me sort of uninterested when it was first announced that the new trilogy would focus on Anomander and the Andii.

That being said, I just love the setting, mythology and world-building of Malazan so much and I couldn't resist reading FoD when it came out. IMO, it has some of the same problems as TtH in that there's too much philosophizing and internal-monologuing, as well as the plot jumping to a new character just after I started really getting into another character's story. But there was a bunch of very cool world-building on the history and mythology fronts with some awesome reveals, the main plots were very interesting, and I definitely consider it a very worthwhile and rewarding read.

16. dsana123

dsana123 New Member

Interesting, as those two points are what I love about his writing. Looking forward to reading FoD at some point in the future.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  17. End Of Disc One

End Of Disc One Registered User

For some reason this bothered me in TtH but not in FoD.

18. Rob B

I'm about 1/2 into the book and it is a bit of a meandering novel. The details are intimate and character focused with a wider view if that makes sense. I'm enjoying it, but haven't had the opportunity to read it in large chunks of time, and unfortunately for me, this seems a novel that I'd want to read in large chunks of time.

It isn't bad, in fact, the opposite.

19. T77

T77 Registered User

I'm about halfway through too and am really enjoying it. It feels a bit different from the other novels, but I think that is a good thing. Not that I didn't enjoy the MBotF, quite the opposite.

20. Rob B

The meandering-ness of the novel didn't go away and I just wasn't a fan of this novel. I felt as if the plot wasn't going anywhere and as the novel progressed, the characters began to mesh together for me.

Maybe the timing of when I read this was the culprit as to why I didn't enjoy it.