Forge of Darkness by Steven Erikson

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by kcf, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Mithfânion

Mithfânion Lord of the Wild Hunt

Rob,

I've only read the first five chapters and then whatever chapters I could read while inside the store, but that was very much my impression as well.

In the end I decided to give this new series a pass for now. I may return to it if book 2 comes out and I hear very good thingsm but for now, it definetly had some elements I liked, but already in these chapters I was skipping stuff.

2. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

THANK YOU Mithf, I really thought I was the only one because I've seen very little negative response to Forge of Darkness in the intarweb circles I've been traveling.

3. fiddler

fiddler Registered User

I loved the entire Malazan books of the Fallen.
    It's rare when an author can actually bring and end to such an epic tale.
    But, I thought Erikson did it as well as any human could.
    I was a little sad at all the characters that didn't get written into the end, but I was content that he did give us closure on the Bridgeburners. They were the characters I cared most about, so I was happy to see how it ended.

I get emails from book sellers I buy from, telling me about books they think I might be interested in.
    I've had several from them about these other Malazan related books and after checking them out to see what they are about, I just can't bring myself to even want to read them.
    Back stories ?
    Just can't find the desire in me after the end of the Bridgeburners.

4. kcf

kcf Nobody in Particular

I understand and somewhat agree with this criticism, though it didn't impact me as much as it did you. I referenced it a bit in my review, though it was only a line or two among many. I think that the main reason for this is there are way too many POVs in this book. This is not a new problem with Erikson, so I've long ago learned to live with it. I suspect as the series moves forward this will seem like less of an issue as we continue to get to know the characters better, but I'd sure like to see Erikson reduce the number of POVs he uses in his writing.

5. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

It didn't seem there were too many character POVs initially, but for whatever reason, things seemed to unravel in a negative way for me with the multiple POVs this time 'round (and I didn't have problems with that in earlier Malazan novels or GRRM or Jordan). Again, it may have been a timing thing with when I was reading it.

Not sure if I'm willing to go back to this three book series in the future.

6. HeclaBull

HeclaBull Registered User

The problem I had with there being a lot of POVs in this is that with the heavy amount of internal philosophizing that each character did, it would take awhile for me to be able to get into a character's story and feel invested, and much of the time when I would finally start getting interested in a certain character's plotline, that section of POV would end and I'd have to start the cycle again with a different character.

7. T77

T77 Registered User

Thanks to hurricane Sandy I was able to have the time to finish this over the weekend. Sitting in a cold dark house reading a book with darkness as its main theme. Really enjoyed it - looking forward to the next one.

8. cgw

cgw Registered User

I am about halfway through. It meanders but it seems to tie together (even halfway through). I only read the first two to the previous series (I couldn't get going on the third book). Anyway if this is just a trilogy, it seems good so far. Pretty lyrical. I couldn't read it all the time but it is working for me now.
    I must say Erikson's writing style seems to be - why use one word if ten will do.