Forum Rules... FAQ and Enquiries

Discussion in 'sffworld.com comments, feedback...' started by Cadfael, May 10, 2003.

1. Cadfael

Cadfael Guest

Use this topic to ask for Forum rules to be claryfied, or to ask if you would be within the rules with any post you may wish to make... you may not get an answer on the spot, but it will let us know what need to be made clear...

2. I Brian

I Brian SFF Chronicles

You've mentioned forum rules, but I actually cannot see any around - Erebus mentiones elsewhere about the sign-up dialogue, but it would be nice to have a reference copy. :)

I know that we're probably talking common sense here. Perhaps replacing the default VBull FAQ with the SFFWorld rules?

Btw - I missed the event, but I've had to administrate over such case on previous boards. Never fun.

3. Erebus

Erebus Keeping The Equilibrium

Yes, they're in a couple of posts...somewhere... :) but here they are again to save us all searching:

4. Sammie

Sammie The Doctor...

Thank you :D

5. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

6. Lifino

Lifino Lovin' Upriser

Wasn't there a thread explaining the details about Avatars? Is my search query just misformated, or am I imagining things?

If not, what are the proper paramaters of an Avatar? IE, Pixel Ratio, maximum allowable k, etc... I am going on the assumption that a girl with big boobs jumping up and down and bouncing down and up is not acceptable viewing material;)

THANKS!

Oh and I'll second the motion to overhaul the FAQ.

7. kater

kater Filthy Assistants!

8. Mamb

Mamb Master Blaster

I just noticed that a certain "Tartaros" has been banned. Is he yet another incarnation of Hemingway?

9. Jonzey

Jonzey grr arg(TM)

I was wondering, do signitures show up? 'cos mine isnt, and either is anyone else's... and I've made sure that my profile is correct. Are they not in use anymore? Or am i just stupid? actually, dont answer that last question ;)

10. Susan Boulton

Susan Boulton Edited for submission

I believe Dag has turned off the sigs. As often the sigs, with pictures are larger than the posts and take up too much space on the server.

11. Sammie

Sammie The Doctor...

Yep - the sigs are indeed switched off, for the reasons above.

Yes.

Sammie.

12. Dominus

Dominus Acolyte of Cainism

Just a general question, I didn't think it would warrant a whole new thread.

Why am I constanly being randomly subscribed to threads? I look at my e-mail and I have about 10 from sff saying that someone replied to a thread I subscribed to, and I say, wait, I didn't subscribe to that thread, then I look in my cp, and I'm subscribed to 1-3 threads, some of which I haven't visited in days or weeks. What is the deal?

13. Evil Agent

Evil Agent Saturn Comes Back Around

Same here, Dom. I only get a few threads, and they seem random! I know you can unsubscribe to a thread though, if you check out the bottom of the e-mail that you receive.

14. Soon Lee

Soon Lee Registered User

I don't have any threads subscribed to in my user cp and yet I get e-mail notifications to threads that it says I've subscribed to. I find that they are threads to which I've recently contributed i.e. not random.

I wonder if that's a 'feature' of the system.

15. Sammie

Sammie The Doctor...

Hi guys,

You need to go to your user cp, where it will list your subscribed threads, and remove any that you don't want. Then, to make sure it doesn't happen again, click on 'edit options' at the top of the user cp page. Scroll down to "Use 'Email Notification' by default?" and select 'no'.

Hope that does it!!

Sammie.

16. Dominus

Dominus Acolyte of Cainism

That's another problem, my email notification has been turned off for months, yet I still get emails. Oh yeah, today I found out that Shezhad had posted in Children of Dune, a thread I haven't posted in for a few months.

I'm hesitant to broach this subject, but we may have a cracker on this website, or something else screwy like that.

17. Ogg

Ogg Caldazar is my Daddy ;)

it could be that you unwittingly subscribed to a thread.... Check that option. Even the all powerful WOO has done it :D :D :D

18. Shehzad

Shehzad High Priest of Cainism

That's strange, because I haven't posted in that thread since March.

19. Sammie

Sammie The Doctor...

Dominus - I've taken a look at your options and i can't see why you are still getting emails.

My last suggestion - in your user cp, when you look at the 'subscribed threads' list, make sure you are viewing threads 'from the last year' rather than just from recently. (Use the drop down menu on the bottom right of the subscribed threads box). If it still shows nothing, then i'm at a loss.

20. daigoro

daigoro I'm the law... Staff Member

When you change this setting in your control panel it works as the default setting for all new threads, however you are still subscribed to all the older threads that you were subscribed to.

Meaning that you will have to unsubscribe to all the old threads in order to not receive email alerts when people post in those.

I think that's what is happening at least :).

Dag