Free SF ebooks

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Majuss, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Wayne Clarke

Wayne Clarke Fantasy & Sci-Fi Author

I'll bet my lunch that you'll love this book!

I'm giving away my first science fiction novel for free in order to raise my public profile, and it's working quite well, thank you!

People Of The Tiger, Book One of The Rational Future Series, received an average score of 9.37 out of 10 from over 20,000 fans over 3 months on the first fiction site I posted it to. I've received hundreds of glowing fan letters about it, and many have told me that it's the best book they've ever read, or that I'm now one of their favorite authors.

It's also one of the most unique sci-fi books out there; I've definitely never read anything remotely like it. It has a rousing story with plenty of action, adventure, and emotion, set in a beautiful utopian future based on my own bio-sociological research, which is based on the work of Prof. Edward O. Wilson and Dr. Edmond Morris. There are definitely solutions to the global problems that we're facing, and this story is set in a future where those solutions have been implemented. It inspires hope for a better future in almost everyone who reads it.

It's available on my website in two editions that use metric or American measurements, and they are available in 4 ebook formats; PDF, ePub, Mobipocket, and Microsoft Reader.

http://wayneedwardclarke.viviti.com/

2. stevemcc

stevemcc New Member

Darwood & Smitty

Someone ask for free sci-fi books?

Just released my new sci-fi novel today. Stores'll be able to order it if there's demand, but that has to build. For now, it's in print on Amazon. And it's free on my website but not as a download. And it'll come out a chapter at a time.

So depending on when you read this message, just the first chapter could be up, or all 30.

It's set in 2045. Government's gone global and is, as always, relatively corrupt. We have an alien police force. And a glimmer of hope -- a president (of Earth) who actually wants to curb the influence of special interests.

This is a humorous adventure and is more about commentary (especially political) than details of future science, although this is of course part of the deal too. (Wait till you see the "sexy" console on the Plutonian ship.)

Would love to have you stop by for a look. If website reading isn't for you, at least it showcases the book for you before you spend anything on print. Hope to have it ready for Kindle soon too.

3. Land of Nod

Land of Nod Registered User

You can use coupon code YA63R to get a free copy of my book at Smashwords: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/24547

And while we're on the topic, whose leg do I have to hump around here to get a review? My book has been the number 1 Sci-Fi book at Smashwords for a while now (displacing the Spinward Fringe books) but I'm an independent author and it's difficult to get anyone to take a look.

Is anyone here interested? You can download the book at the link, or I'd be happy to e-mail you a copy in the format of your choice if you'd like to do a review.

Thanks!

4. DurzoBlint

DurzoBlint http://tinyurl.com/363ogv

Warhammer's Black Library is releasing one free book a week for the month of October every friday (I think it is friday) so check it out.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Digital

5. The Lord of all Things Inane

The Lord of all Things Inane 1CoolNerd

I had no idea there were actually free things available in this world. I am having trouble processing the idea. I am pretty much new to computers.
    Thanks for the tip. Land of Nod, I will try to check out your book, I won't promise because I am having trouble getting things to open on this computer.
    CDN

6. Land of Nod

Cool! I hope you enjoy it. I have been told that it's a little confusing because once you enter your e-mail at Smashwords you have to go back and confirm and then it doesn't automatically download. But once you have used the coupon code, you should have access to all versions of it to downlaod whenever you want.

There are also a lot of other free offerings on the Smashwords site, so it's probably worth figuring out and registering with them.

Let me know if you have any trouble figuring it out. Not only may I be able to help you, but it could be useful to me to help others in the future.

7. The Lord of all Things Inane

Okay, I signed up, and will work my way through the steps. It looks like a cool idea(from the blurb). How would I review it? Assuming, of course, that I can master all the neccessary skills to download it.
    CDN

8. The Lord of all Things Inane

Land of Nod,
    I started reading your book, and it is pretty darn good. I appreciate the heads up, I have been starved for a good read for over a week now. Thanks again.
    CDN

9. Land of Nod

Thank you. It means a lot to know that people are enjoying it.

10. catii

catii New Member

Ultimate free SF book Web-site

I almost hate to post this link, but .....

I'd like to know if anyone else has found this great resource.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2010
  11. Hobbit

Hobbit Administrator Staff Member

Apologies, catii, but that link has been removed, as many of the books there are in copyright and we would be in trouble if we let people use them.

Mark

12. psikeyhackr

psikeyhackr Live Long & Suffer

Busted by the Fuzz. :D

13. Hobbit

It's what we do: the alternative would be to have SFFWorld shut down and an attempt by the owner to ask all the members to help pay for the hefty law suit.

I'd rather spend the money on books, frankly - ebooks or otherwise. :)

Mark

14. bobbb

bobbb Registered User

Inherit the Stars

While the link to the free baen.com library has already been posted i'd like to point to a specific book which is available there for free: Inherit the Stars by James P. Hogan, my all-time favourite book. Not because it's necessarily the best book i ever read but it is the reason why i started reading books at all:

http://www.webscription.net/p-584-inherit-the-stars.aspx

No action, no lovestory, no mean aliens, no fights, no ftl travel, it's the story of a scientific mystery and how it gets solved.

15. DurzoBlint

November 2010

Just received this email, hope it is okay to post:

November's Free Ebook is Tom Paine Maru, Author's Special Edition by L. Neil Smith. The author is a four time Prometheus Award winner with critically acclaimed titles like The Probability Broach and Pallas.

Tom Paine Maru currently has five out of five stars on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/dp/1604502606?tag=arcman-20

Whitey O’Thraight, the Ship’s Armorer on the first interstellar vessel launched by his home planet Vespucci, finds himself stranded on a strange planet with just one other survivor. Captured by the local Baron, they are freed by a group of monks who are much more than they initially appear to be. Their new benefactors and friends have something special in mind for the two survivors, but going along with these plans might mean the destruction of Vespucci as they knew it

The Ebook Code for this month is 9992224 and will be valid from November 2 through November 30. Link and instructions, as usual, at http://www.PPickings.com (direct link to our catalogue).

16. The Lord of all Things Inane

I just felt this was important enough to be quoted. Well put, Good Hobbit.
    CDN

17. Hobbit

Thanks, Rozinante: and thanks, Durzo - you beat me to that one.

Mark

18. Omphalos

Omphalos Orthodox Herbertian

Prometheus winner, huh? Anyone know if this is a libertarian book? Just wondering.

19. Hobbit

Well, good point: four times winner of the Prometheus Award would suggest that, wouldn't it?

Looking through the copy I've downloaded, admittedly very quickly, yeah I would say it had libertarian leanings. :)

Mark

20. DurzoBlint

I took a pass on this one, didn't seem interesting to me and I have more than enough books to get through as it is.