Free SF ebooks

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Majuss, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Hobbit

Hobbit Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for sharing that one, Periboob. Didn't know it was available free, now: it was quite an expensive p-book edition when I looked for it a while back.

I have got quite a few of these in the Analog magazines, though it is interesting seeing them altogether.

Campbell liked to say often deliberately controversial things to provoke responses: and some of those are collected here.

Thanks again.

Mark

2. Periboob

Periboob Registered User

Roger on the controversial. "We did not get our legacy of Science from Rome or Greece; we got it from Islam, the only people who invented it in all human history!"--it was inflamatory in 1953, now you could get lynched for this. My parents would have had a hissyfit if they had known what was in those books.

I have a nearly 40 year collection of his magazines, I was gearing up to sell or donate, now I have to keep and start re-reading them for the editorials. :eek:

3. Hobbit

Good on you!

Old picture of some of mine:

[​IMG]

From about 1948-2008. Have some before and after those dates but they're a little inconsistent. Most of the 1950's editions I have are the British editions, which were often a little out of step and shortened from the US edition - paper was rationed!

Have read some interesting things about Campbell's writing, from Asimov and Heinlein amongst others. The impression I get is that he would say provocative controversial things and then try to get others to dispute his theories.

Sometimes the statements were contradictory: it was the argument he seemed to thrive on. Whether you agree or disagree with what he said (and more commonly for me its disagree!) they do make the reader think: which I guess was their point.

Good stuff.

Mark

4. Periboob

Periboob Registered User

I would feel right at home in your place Mark. My shelves are not a packed as yours, but I have 7 of them. Unless you count the computer magazines, then I have 10 or 12.

Glad I found this place.

===================

Not much for the original poster, but there is a lot of audio stuff I am saving for the time when my eyes might go bad.

Mind Webs Rodio Show
    http://archive.org/details/Mindwebs_230

1957-58 Radio series Narrated by John Campbell
    http://archive.org/details/Exploring_Tomorrow

Heck, there are too many, just go here and browse
    http://archive.org/browse.php?field=subject&mediatype=audio&collection=oldtimeradio
    Have not had time to get into these too much, but if I was still commuting, I would be all up in this

5. Hobbit

Thanks Periboob: always happy to share!

Shelves: yeah, there's a few. Feel free to look in THIS THREAD for the gory details.

Old Time Radio I would recommend, myself, actually. I got a stack of mp3's from them about seven years ago, but they are mainly the mystery/horror than the SF.

Recommended site, though: and they're often free, too.

Mark

6. psikeyhackr

psikeyhackr Live Long & Suffer

7. Cherrera

Cherrera New Member

8. Hobbit

September's book from Phoenix Pick:

Mark

9. SR_Seldon

SR_Seldon SF Author

I tried to do some price changing a while back and it seems some of them didn't take so I have two free titles at the moment. Edge of Hyperspace is free on Amazon, Kobo, and Sony. Another title, Well of Dreams, is free on Smashwords, iTunes, and Barnes & Noble.

If you enjoy fun space opera or like reading about traders/smugglers, give them a try.

10. Valerie

Valerie New Member

Free book

An interesting book I have read recently "Io Deceneus Journal of a time traveler" is free on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Io-Deceneus-tr.../dp/B008EJTPHI

Short presentation as it is on Amazon:

The book was edited by: WritersServices (Macmillan) Writers and Artists (Bloomsbury)

It is never easy to be a “dreamer” in search of things real life cannot provide, wandering in an imaginary existence that never becomes reality. On a quiet evening, a Gate is taking human shape and links him to a Faction, the final form of social evolution in a galaxy where all civilizations are human-like except for the Erins -a mysterious experiment representing the next level of intelligent life in a self-conscious Universe. A galaxy where Earth, enslaved by a ruthless financial system, is considered an example of failed civilization. He has to help a far away culture in its evolution from the Paleolithic to Industrial Age.
    Many Factions disappeared in Universe's past enhancements and they want now to control the Erins. When they can't, they try to destroy, stealthily, as they are not allowed to directly interfere.
    Rogue Factions are carefully preparing a war of annihilation. It is hard to start conflicts with peaceful people, so their society and economy have to be undermined. Earth's "model" is used for subversion and he is the best choice to counter it.
    And he will become Deceneus, the “far sighted”, challenging the reader to consider the subject of free will and winding timelines.

11. Hobbit

From Phoenix Pick: October's free book:

Mark

12. Hobbit

November Book: From Phoenix Pick:

13. psikeyhackr

14. Hobbit

December's Phoenix Pick:

Our free ebook for December is L. Neil Smith’s The Venus Belt. December’s code is 9991305 and will be good from December 2 through December 31. Links for the download, as usual, from our online catalogue page, www.PPickings.com .

15. odo

odo Registered User

16. psikeyhackr

17. odo

odo Registered User

18. odo

odo Registered User

Just received from Nightshade Books:

We survived! Let's celebrate!

Well, we can add the Myan end of the world prophecy to the long list of things that didn't happen. And while it's probably no surprise to most of us that we woke up as per usual, we think it's still worth celebrating!

PLUS, its the Winter Solstice! Double trouble! So let's nestle into the longest night of the year with some free reading, shall we?

Here is how it works:

Email StillHere@nightshadebooks.com and you'll receive an auto response from us with a username, password and link to our download site where you'll be able to download the .epub or .mobi files of some of our most exciting and appropriately apocalyptic titles:
    Seed by Rob Ziegler
    Osiris by E.J. Swift
    Wastelands edited by John Joseph Adams

Of those, I've only read Seed, which is quite good. I reviewed on my blog a few months ago: http://sentidodelamaravilla.blogspot.com.es/2012/04/seed-by-rob-ziegler.html

19. Hobbit

Beat me to this one, odo: just had the email myself!

Thought I'd just say though that it works, because I've just done it myself.

20. odo

odo Registered User

Yeah, it works like a charm. You can even choose between mobi and epub.

I just love Nightshade Books :)