Game of thrones RPG!

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by chris777, Aug 21, 2011.

1. chris777

chris777 Registered User

2. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Just to let people know that's NSFW. As in seriously NSFW.

Wasn't that funny either. CollegeHumo(u)r try way too hard.

3. chris777

chris777 Registered User

I beg to differ. Very funny. And "seriously not safe for work" ? lol what are you allowed to watch at work if something that contains no nudity, cursing, or gore is not safe? The thrusting from a 4pixel anime character?

4. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

There's strong language in it, rather obvious sexual acts - Not Safe For Work, basically.

5. saintjon

saintjon Illustrious Gambler

Depends where you work! OH!

I thought that was pretty funny. The clubbing you over the head aspect is right in tune with old school rpgs IMO

6. JT Billow

JT Billow Love with Mercy

7. Cymric

Cymric cynical master of time

lol i love it now only if the did a fan reaction video to neds execution lol

8. JT Billow

JT Billow Love with Mercy

9. Evil Agent

Evil Agent Saturn Comes Back Around

That's hilarious, I'd love to really play that game!

But on a more serious note, there are actually two Game of Thrones video games in the works. One is an RPG, the other is a real-time strategy game.

10. saintjon

I wish that GRRM had sold the rights to Creative Assembly instead of Cyanide (who?). Westeros Total War would be an amazing game.

11. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

I think the rights will have been in a holding company which then 'hired' Cyanide. I don't think they own the rights any more than BioWare owned D&D.

As for who they are, Cyanide are a French developer, created by some people from Ubisoft, who've worked on licensed/inspired products. They did a game called Chaos League which was heavily inspired by Games Workshop's Blood Bowl, and then they got sued and made an actual Blood Bowl game. They've done some other stuff, too, but aside from Genesis, they're best known for Blood Bowl & Chaos League.

12. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

Good thing it's being worked on then :)

Though it's a fan mod for Medieval II and Kingdoms rather than something official, but given how lacklustre CA's official games have been for a while, that's not a bad thing.

13. saintjon

I disagree Wert Shogun 2 was really good IMO. Usually mods don't have a campaign aspect though which would really be the main aspect of a Westeros: Total War I would want to be involved in.

14. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

Er, all Total War mods I'm aware of have campaigns. That's the main part of the game, multiplayer is only a minor facet of it. Certainly Westeros and Third Age (the fantastic LotR mod) have single-player campaigns.

Agreed, Shogun 2 has been reasonably good (and Napoleon was okay), but Empire was a monumental disaster, to the point where CA's reputation has been severely dented, particularly with regards to PR.

15. saintjon

Oh yeah? I missed all that, I didn't have the hardware or the interest to even try Empire. How did they mangle themselves so badly on PR front? (imagining comments like F___ you, it is too good!)

16. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

The game was shipped in a virtually unfinished state, with very frequent crashes. The AI was abominably bad as well, even by normal TW standards. They also promised before the game came out that they would have 1) a multiplayer campaign mode and 2) be more moddable than any other TW title to date. In the event, 1) never happened and 2) was a blatant lie, as the Empire/Napoleon/Shogun 2 engine cannot be 'properly' modded (i.e. you can tweak unit stats and stuff, but you can't alter the campaign map and you can't create 'total conversion' mods like Westeros and Third Age). CA really didn't handle the PR very well at all.

Even worse, they did fix all the problems with the engine...but only in Napoleon, which they made a stand-alone game rather than an expansion to Empire (as it was originally intended). Which meant the bug fixes and patches they placed in Napoleon didn't retroactively fix the issues in Empire. All-told, not CA's finest hour.

Meanwhile, as a sign of what the mod team have been up to, here's a shot of the map depicting Dorne:

[​IMG]

17. saintjon

Very nice. Dorne looks to be very prone to seaborne invasion which I guess is appropriate lol.

18. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

Yup. In fact, we know now that's how Daeron I conquered Dorne. Whilst his land army drew the Dornish army into the Red Mountains and fought it there, his senior admiral, Oakenfist, sailed up the Greenblood, destroyed the Planky Town and landed a significant army behind the Dornish lines which simply marched up the coast and took Sunspear almost unopposed. A viable strategy in the game, anyway (if you're willing to risk storms in the Stepstones).