Godslayer III and/or James Clemens books

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Bridge of Birds, May 23, 2007.

1. Bridge of Birds

Bridge of Birds New Member

Anyone have an info on book three of James Clemens Godslayer books?

I just finished the first two and they are really quite good IMO. Writing is actually quite above average, and the the world and characters are also.

I'm impressed and anxious for the finale.

Also, any word on his previous books?

2. Simon F

Simon F Registered User

I have a feeling its a seven book series - so a while to go yet!!

3. Bridge of Birds

Bridge of Birds New Member

Ah, not sure what made me think it was a trilogy. I'm plenty happy to hear it will be longer though.

No word on the next book?

4. suupaabaka

suupaabaka Book Depository Junkie

The thing with these huge series is the waiting period. If you unwittingly start a series thinking it's a trilogy, and then find out there are more (what I did with Robert Jordan), you find there's a very, very long wait for gratification. I swear, if Jordan dies before finishing the Wheel of Time, I'll kill him! :D

Stephen Erikson is the exception to the rule. That man is a literary divinity.

5. cervantor

cervantor Registered User

Well, to answer your initial question, I'm not sure how many books are in the Godslayer series, but I'm fairly certain that the third one isn't complete yet. You can check out his website HERE.

Personally, I really like James Clemens work. He has a previous 5-volume fantasy series called "The Banned and the Banished" that I love. It uses a lot of fantasy tropes, but it's a very fun and dynamic adventure romp that I really enjoyed. The new Godslayer series has a pretty imaginative premise, but I thought the writing wasn't as compelling in it. Of course, I've only read Shadowfall so far.

And just to let you know, 'James Clemens' is a pen name. The author's real name is Jim Czajkowski and also writes contemporary action-adventure, thrillers with a touch of the supernatural under the name 'James Rollins'. I'd recommend "Amazonia", "Ice Hunt" and "Sandstorm". These novels are mostly standalone, though the past three all deal with Sigma Force as does his newest one, "The Judas Strain", which comes out in July. The books can be a little generic, but they're fast-paced, and pretty fun to read...

Robert

6. another rob

another rob Registered User

I was convinced it was a trilogy too, and sure that it said so on one of the books - sure enough, the back of book 2 says 'Praise for the Godslayer Trilogy' - I guess this isnt strictly accurate, then...

7. U-Borat

U-Borat El-Prawno

His previous series was really quite boring and sucked. It was full of cliches and uninteresting and predictable.
    His new series has been a whole notch up. But I really hope its not a long 7 book series.

8. Deornoth

Deornoth New Member

I just finished reading 'Hinterland' last week. I enjoyed reading it although there was a lot of info-dumping which held things up. I'd be interested to see where it goes from here.

9. Clairy13

Clairy13 Clairy13

:eek:
    Looks like you're going to have to dig up Jordan then as the legendary writer went and selfishly popped his cloggs ... just as I was finishing the fantastic Wheel of Time ... but not all hope is lost. The last in the series is due to be published at some point next year, so I cannot wait for that!

As for James Clemens, the reason I actually found this site is because I'm about a 100 pages from the end and have just read the back which says its a trilogy. Am I the only one who continually chooses to read things that are yet unfinished???

I am now tempted to start trying out some of Raymond Feists stuff, starting with Magician ... can anyone recommend this or anything else???

10. mg420

mg420 New Member

I am now tempted to start trying out some of Raymond Feists stuff, starting with Magician ... can anyone recommend this or anything else???[/QUOTE]

i would highly recommend the 1st 2 Thomas Covenant trilogies by SRD. they are by far my favorites. too bad the 1st 2 books of the final chronicles that he is are quite sub par imo. i also heard good things about the Malzan Empire series by Stephen Erikson but i haven't read them yet (they are next on my list).

11. King Bonez Xx

King Bonez Xx bring back pluto

I have a feeling book 3 will be bad, since weren't books 1 and 2 published close to each other? Maybe he has too much time on his hands. Or, it's just long and I'm being overly cynical. :D

His website hasn't been updated since May 07, by the way. So, I guess I'll have to go elsewhere for information.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  12. mg420

mg420 New Member

no, i agree. the 1st 2 books of the Final Chron. pale in comparison to the 1st 6 TC books. i think i heard that SDR was having financial problems which helped him to decide to write TC again. i was very disappointed in the ROE & FR after being very excited about them when i heard he was going to write them. i will read the final 2 to find out what happens but i most likely won't read them more than once.

13. msmosser

msmosser New Member

FYI. James Clemens is also James Rollins. Rollins has been quit busy writing books. The New Indiana Jones book "The Crystal Skull" and "The Last Oracle" just came out. I've read most of Rollins books. I have not read Clemens books as of yet. Think I'll wait until I am sure how many books will be in this "Trilogy".

14. King Bonez Xx

King Bonez Xx bring back pluto

Wow I completely forgot about that, sadly enough. It certainly explains this delay.

15. xvart

xvart read and find out

Woah. Thanks for that tidbit of information.

xvart.

16. Arcelor

Arcelor Registered User

GSC book 3

This is the most recent info on book 3 of the Godslayer Chronicles by James Clemens.

" The working title for Book Three is “God-Sword”, but I doubt that will be the final title. Besides continuing the storyline, we'll be discovering much more about Laurelle, her past, and her perilous journey to a god hidden in the heart of a volcano. As to the number of books in the series, I have two trilogies plotted. “God-Sword” will finish the first arc (after Shadowfall and Hinterland), but then there will be a second trilogy of stories with many of the same characters."

to read more bout Jim go to http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/2008/06/last-oracle-by-james-rollins-wbonus-q.html

Arcelor

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  17. Cannon Fodder

Cannon Fodder Registered User

Did this ever come up during the inquest into Mr. Jordan's death?

18. yojimbo

yojimbo New Member

Clemens is trying to do two trilogies in this world. He is in the process of writing the third one now. The reason it took so long between two and three is because there was a whole shake up at his publishing company and it took a while to get the whole contract thing ironed out for the third book.
    After this third one, he is going to pitch a second trilogy set in Myrillia which stars some of the same characters but on a whole new adventure. So hopefully the third one does good so the other trilogy gets picked up.

I am now tempted to start trying out some of Raymond Feists stuff, starting with Magician ... can anyone recommend this or anything else???[/quote]

I highly recommend Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series. Great reads.

19. WyrvenGuard

WyrvenGuard I Has Good Writing

I have to disagree with you on the "sub par" nature of the newest Donaldson books. I'll agree that i'm disappointed that I'm reading a series entitled the Final Chronicles of Thomas Covenant but I'm not reading about Thomas Covenant. I think the biggest difference between the first two trilogies and this final one, is that Linden isn't nearly as good a character as Thomas was, and the story suffers from not having someone you give a crap about. But the writing seems there.

I read a quote of his in that he says he held off on writing these books because he didn't feel he was prepared to finish the series in the way he wanted. I have faith that the last two books will wrap up nicely.

and I've read a LOT of praise for Erikson, and I have to say, I was mildly disappointed with House of Chains... that book took me forEVER to get through; like wading through a muddy bog lol. The ending was alright, but it traumitized me so that I haven't read another of his books.

20. confusum316

confusum316 New Member

Godslayer Book 3

I just saw James Rollins today at a signing for his new Sigma Force book and he said that he's finishing up the third book in a couple of months. He also mentioned something about a spinoff on the Banned and the Banished series. Keep your hopes up guys, he's coming through!!!