Groups of Characters in Fantasy

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Cirias, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Cirias

Cirias Wirt's Fourth Leg

Hi all,

I was just interested to get your thoughts on those fantasy novels that feature a group of mercenaries/soldiers/heroes. I personally really enjoy reading this sort of stuff. I think having a group, whether its the Fellowship from LOTR or Glen Cook's Black Company, makes for a really great read. I can't quite put my finger on why, but I almost feel as if I become a member of them and I invest much more in the story.

What do you guys think?

2. A.T. Parkinson

A.T. Parkinson ze Spaniard!

I agree! Most of the books I read when I was young had groups of characters as you say. Lotr, David Eddings asorted series, many of David Gemmell's. And lately Joe Abercrombie's dozens, Scott Lynch and his Gentlemen Bastards.
    They inspired me to write my novels with a part of them focused around a band of mercenaries/army with no alliegence.

3. bewitt

bewitt Registered User

Agreed! But for me it's mostly because those guys write great characterization, the groups have natural and clever banter, terms and sayings or slogans.

4. Arinth

Arinth Registered User

I also greatly enjoy a close knit group like those mentioned. The sequences in the Malazan series involving the bridge burners or bone hunters, etc are some of my favorite.

I feel much more invested in the characters. I feel how it effects me but also how strongly it effects the other members of the same group.