HBO's Game of Thrones (EXTREME-SPOILER THREAD!--SPOILERS FOR ALL ASOIAF BOOKS!!!))

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Evil Agent, Apr 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crono

Crono Registered User

I really enjoyed it. Very well done! Altho I do agree that the Drogo thing was very difficult to watch, but I think it was well-done nonetheless.

The scene with Tyrion in the whorehouse was awesome. How could you not love him?

Jamie looks older than I thought he would...so does Ceresi. Odd.

CANNOT WAIT FOR NEXT WEEK!

2. Luya Sevrein

Luya Sevrein Humble Grifter

I just saw the episode, finally!

I loved it! I want to watch the rest NOW. XD

I love Bran and Arya, they both play their parts really well and steal the show for the kids.

But not half as well as Dinkage. I love him as Tyrion, his scenes in the brothel and with Jon were amoung the best.

I also thought Sean might have been a bit 'generic, good actor playing main role', but he really brought a nice sense of warmth to Eddard, especailly when stealing Arya's helmet, and smiling about it. That was nice.

When it got to the scene where Ned and Robert were going hunting I genuinely thought I was watching a movie, and I thought it would go on forever. :( But then I realized I was close to the end, which sucked.

The dogs are so cute, and Summer looked so scared. D:

As for the whole Dany section - the Wedding was awesome. I did feel that I knew Drogo was giving her her Silver, actually, Evil. He led her to it and then put her on it, and she asked Jorah how to say thank-you, I don't know. Even my boyfriend (a non-reader) got that. xD So, hopefully it's okay. He wasn't really gentle after though. Pushing her into that position, when I was sure they did it face to face. Maybe they want to prolong her coming to love him? That's a pretty set TV thing.

Viserys was very good though.

There's some outstanding performances here. I even liked Catelyn and others I was not even thinking after.

On the downside;

I agree with you though, perhaps it was a tad confusing for non-readers? I guess I have the disadvantage of not being able to know what it would be like for a non-reader, but I was explaining to my boyfriend little details like 'The Seven Kingdoms are where we've just been with Robert, they're the Andals too,' and 'Jorah's an exiled Knight if you're wondering why he's randomly there.' xD

Also I wish we could have had a tiny bit more differenciating between Robb, Jon and Theon. They only had one scene where their hair was cut, right? Robb and Jon needed a more brotherly relasionship too, I think. Just like 5 seconds, a clip of them laughing or something.

Oh, and Sansa comes across as just a brat. I think she's meant to be more of a naive damsel in distress kind. Shudda' had her begging to hear stories or something. I would love to see Joffrey being... well, awful. But that'll come. :D

That's... it.

It was bloody epic. :D

3. paulprithu

paulprithu The Architect

Yes. Generally speaking, very encouraging start. It did feel a bit short though. But I guess they could not help it because of time constraints. Also a lot of character insight we get in a novel is from what the POV character is thinking about other. That is not easy to translate onto the screen. So I guess as the charactes will get more screen time, the complexities, relationships etc will gradually come to life.

But yes, I was disappointed with Dany and Sandor. Dany does not seem even one quarter of what I imagined her to be. And the Hound is worst, he has the face of an insignificant character. I hope they keep the Hound helm on his face all the time.

4. Daddy Darth

Daddy Darth Boba Fett Lives

Well the hour went by really fast as I was pretty much mesmerized throughout and the ending was spot on. I was very impressed with how most of the characters came off, appreciating in a large story you cant get to know everyone right off the bat and some natural confusion is to be expected. Viserys was a standout along with Tyrion, Arya and Bran.

I got the sense of how big the world is and the history. It is rather immersive. So all in all very happy.

Am reserving judgement on the Hound. He looks the least like what I imagined and I did not get to see much from him. As the series progresses - his story is one of the ones I am most interested in. I am afraid he will be painted as too much of a badass minor character, but that is how he came across in the beginning of the first book.

For a first episode it was pretty great. Cant wait for next Sunday.
    Cheers

5. Tragedy

Tragedy Registered User

Alot of TV buffs will scream at you to listen closely to every word said on The Wire. Meh, not so much. You can get the general gist of it and its not really unforeseen or shocking.

But if you have not read the books, you absolutely must pay attention in order to get everything down. They had to trim down from the books, so there are alot of extras missing. The bones are there to establish whats going in, but its up to the audience to put sinew unto it.

I would imagine this would be quite difficult for a non-reader to follow, especially since major elements are already introduced (Jon Arryn for example). Usually HBO shows build up to important plots, but this is straight off the bat.

I do think this show has the potential to overtake other HBO shows, perhaps even The Wire (I dont think it can beat Sopranos though, they are far too different).

6. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

So far, so great. Perfect place to end the first episode. I like some of the changes, like introducing the Jamie/Cersei dynamic during the early funeral scene.

I think making Jon more angry (seemingly) rather than being involved with the welcome feast for King Robert could serve his character in the long run.

Dinklage is brilliant, but I think everyone was expecting that.

After re-reading the book about a week ago, I think the actress who captured her character the best was Arya. She may turn out to be my favorite character on the show. Time will tell.

The Dothraki scenes were tough, and I think it proved a challenge to the directors and screenwriters to capture the culture visually with the same nuance Martin did in the written word. I think they're building for a more powerful growth for Daenerys on screen. Correct that, maybe not more powerful but more blatant if that's the right term. Again, the nuances of internal dialogue and character growth on the page can't always be conveyed the same way on screen. Emilia Clarke looks beautiful on the screen, the stills released don't do her justice. Viserys was utterly creepy - in other words, Harry Lloyd captured him very nicely.

The only change that bothers me slightly is Cat being less supportive in Ned's acceptance of the role as Hand.

I started re-watching the show again when I went to sleep.

Weiss/Benioff have gained my trust at this point. Because I now know they can sleep at night because they have my trust. ;)

7. TheEvilKing

TheEvilKing Registered User

I hope Bran stays dead this time!

8. chris777

chris777 Registered User

Thinking about the book, there were sooo many different integral characters. I can't fathom how they are going to successfully pull this off. But so far so good. I'm hook.

My wife does not watch fantasy. She likes to read, but only mystery or romance etc. She does like similar TV shows as me though. And said she liked it so far.

I was as well disappointed with the Dothroki marriage and sex scene. Mostly Dany getting treated like that. He was so gentle in the book, they didn't show that at all...why? And they down played the horse gift quite a bit. Even though Dany doesn't have purple eyes...geez she's gorgeous.

9. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

Well, he lives in the first book, so I'd hate from them to change that.

Though I haven't read any of Charlaine Harris's Vampire novels on which True Blood is based, I know Lafayette didn't make it past the first novel yet he does on the TV show. Whether because of the actor's performance or fan reaction, I'm not sure. Though I think Harris may have said she regretted killing him.

I can't imagine Weiss/Benioff would allow Ned or Robert to survive the first season. It would be too much of a drastic departure from the books, almost like an Elseworlds or What If type of thing.

10. Haliax

Haliax Registered User

Yikes.

Seems I'm in the (extreme) minority here, but I was underwhelmed. Some of the acting was well done (Tyrion, Ned, Arya), some of it was mediocre (Jon, Robb, Bran, Cat), but a lot of it was flat, for me anyways. I thought the Dothraki/ Dany scenes were quite poorly done, and would probably be the most confusing for anyone who hadn't read the books.

In fact, if this was all I knew of the series, without having read the books or anything, I'd take a pass on the show overall. Maybe (hopefully) it'll get better for me, but its good to see that at least others seem to be greatly enjoying it. Different strokes, right?

11. teahupoo

teahupoo Supercalifragilistic

Ya i thought the whole dothroki voodoo bongo sexorama dance party was done terribly. I felt like i was watching zena or hercules.

12. KatG

KatG The Bony Hand of Death Staff Member

The one false note for me was the Drogo-Danys prelude to sex scene. That was the moment in the book where he shows her gentleness and she begins to see a somewhat different future possible for her than what she'd feared and lived so far. It's the beginning of her becoming powerful instead of a slave. So that's going to be a problem they'll have to deal with in the second episode. And the wedding shennanigans didn't quite come off either, though it was lovely to see the dragon eggs. I think the actress playing Danys is quite good -- she is very graceful, goes quite still, and conveys all of Danys' fear and paralysis on her face while the guy playing her brother is wonderfully awful.

The opening was marvelous -- the Wall! Wasn't the Wall pretty? -- and the Westeros stuff was terrific. They're playing Cersei a bit different from the books, less poised, but it works well enough. I did miss Hodor. I hope they do not cut his character out completely, as he does have a key role to play. I was a little surprised that the kids from Sansa on down were kept fairly young. I thought they were going to yank them up a bit and I'm not sure how they're going to handle that 5 year time period in the middle thing, but I would assume they have a plan. I do get a bit uneasy with what we ask kid actors to deal with, but the kids were pretty much perfect. And Dinklage got busy stealing the whole series, as we expected him to do.

The amount of bare boobs added to fulfill the HBO bare boobs quota wasn't too bad, but could have been less. Hopefully now that they've gotten it out of the way, they'll use it for punctuation.

It did have to be very condensed, and I do think it was a little hard for newcomers to follow, because information would just pop out of nowhere. For instance, it wasn't really clear that Jon is Ned's bastard son until the scene with Tyrion. I had to explain that he was before that to my husband during the direwolf scene. And I don't even remember if Theon got mentioned by name. That Cat's sister is married to the late Hand wasn't really clear until the scene where Cat gets the note from her, and so on. But they did about as well as one could with it, given the amount of background material, and it will get easier as they go on. Frankly, it's a lot easier to follow than Lost. :)

My husband, who is a Lost fan, was not entirely engaged during the thing, but when Bran got pushed out the window, he demanded to know if the kid was alive or not. And I think that's really the pull here -- it's a visually harsh and striking series. They started with zombies and they are going to end the season with dragons. Even though Martin never thought it would ever be filmed, screenwriter boy did sort of set it up beautifully.

13. Haliax

Haliax Registered User

The set pieces/ scenery in general were actually done quite well. The wall being the most impressive, I loved how they portrayed that. And I felt exactly the same way about the Drogo and Dany sex scene, it just really seemed to give the entire beginning of that relationship a different spin than the book did.

I can definitely see Bran being pushed out of the window, and being left in suspense about whether he survived the fall or not, being a big snag for people who have never read the books. It was a great spot to leave off.

And no Hodor in the series would be quite odd. I can't see him being left out completely.

Everyone being so pumped up about this first episode is making me feel like I missed something. I'll keep watching, but my expectations aren't nearly as high anymore.

14. Roland 85

Roland 85 Registered User

I am totally in love with the show! I agree that the Drogo/Daenerys scene was a little off compared to what it was supposed to be, but that's such a minor complaint...

15. Zhauric

Zhauric Registered User

Quite enjoyed it personally. The only thing that felt a bit off everyone has already mentioned so need to dive into that more. That is something that can change as the series progresses. Don't know at this point so we'll see but I would hope so as I thought the way Martin handled Drogo was a strong point.

But overall I have to say it was well done. Maybe it's just me but one of my favorite scenes was when Robert arrived and seeing all the Starks lined up next to each other. I don't know why but that scene stayed in my mind and was my favorite...odd as that is.

16. Fung Koo

Fung Koo >:|Angry Beaver|: <

Likewise for me -- same gripes about the handling of Viserys/Dany/Drogo. There's simply no lead up -- no sense of impending doom on the part of Dany, no sense of overarching bravado and self-importance from Viserys (who was, overall, the weakest portrayal in episode 1 IMO. No sense of fear at waking the dragon at all)....

Most disappointing -- the mystery, awe, and outright confusion at the foreignness of the Dothraki was utterly absent. They aren't painted as a legitimate people -- gone are the painstakingly painted parallels between the Native American and Mongolian nomadic horse tribes... Instead we're just chucked into what feels like stock fantasy weirdness and titillation. And with that gone, so too does the resolution of Dany's acceptance later.

So, they must be going a different route. Which could be a shame -- I'm not sure the Dothraki will recover any legitimacy. We'll see.

But beyond that, I was impressed.

Technically, I liked how flat they kept the camera angles and how simply cut the editing was. Definitely was working at a more neutral narrative tone, in keeping with Martin's sympathetic limited 3rd POV. I don't think they can or should keep that up -- TV craves angles, and you do have to tell the viewer how to feel. I suspect that this may be conscious at this point and that later, as the skewed morality play begins, we'll likely see more dramatic narrative camera work.

Sets are gorgeous -- again, though, the Dothraki set was bordering into the lame. I hope Vaes Dothrak pays off in the coming episodes and does for the Dothraki what Winterfell did beautifully for the sense of character of the Starks.

Arya and Tyrion stole the show.

17. Dyloot

Dyloot Registered User

I noticed that, too. Jaime wasn't quite as a I pictured him, but he worked.

I'd say the first episode was better than I expected. I worried the series would look and feel much like Pillars of the Earth--a mini-series that lacked the overall quality I had hoped for.

So far, so good.

18. Seak

Seak and I like to party.

Great show, I just want to watch them all right now. Probably good I can't because I would fail all my finals.

I agree with a lot that's been said. I obligated to mention that because I know I'm repeating, I guess I still have to say this. :)

The Dothraki wedding scene was pretty crappy. I'm sure it was beautiful on set, but didn't really look that great.

I also wasn't a big fan of the opening credits. I think it's cool as a special for the dvd's, but not as a regular opening. I think it not only gives the wrong impression of the show, but makes it look that much more ridiculous than people already think it's going to be.

19. Luya Sevrein

Luya Sevrein Humble Grifter

I agree, actually.

Apart from the fact it looked half steampunk-half amateur random fan-made map, I didn't get it.

I'm guessing the map is a Political map in the study of the Hand, or something...? I just didn't really... feel it.

At least it's not the generic;
    Horses hooves
    Ned swinging Ice
    Shocked face
    White walkers
    Man raising bow
    Crown falling down
    etc. xD

20. sdelu

sdelu Registered User

I actually really liked the opening credits. A bit off for the show perhaps, but I still thought it was pretty cool. And to me that's all I care about when it comes to credits.

I have a few gripes, but I expected as much. The music was well done and the scenery was awesome. Didn't have too much of an issue with the Dothraki wedding, because that's somewhat akin to how I imagined it.

But honestly the thing that really shocked me was that after all the breasts we did get to see, they kept Cersei's locked up tight. I can't be the only person disappointed by this. :p ;)

On that note, the sex scenes in general were pretty bad. I mean, do people not get naked in Westeros? Not that I'm vouching for pornography, but it was just so poorly done that I actually laughed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.